1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance Stuff or sell it off?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by MyUsernameIs, Jun 16, 2013.

1. MyUsernameIs

MyUsernameIs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    02 Prius - Do I sell it or not?

We have an 02 prius that may or may not need the big battery replaced (See post 1824338 in this forum - I can't link as I am a newbie). We have done the standard maintenance stuff - Oil Changes, Air Filters, Tires, 12v battery a couple times. But I am assuming at 120k 11years it probably would like some other TLC.

Any chance somebody can give me a list of the stuff that I should consider doing to it? I don't know if anything else has been done, will have to go back to the file and check it out. I am just trying to figure out how much $$$ to deposit into this little metal box.

Thanks

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What makes you thinks the big/traction battery may need replaced?

As for service, you've probably already seen this for the Gen II but just in case you haven't, take a look.

What services you need and what you don't | PriusChat

As I said, its for the Gen II but there are enough similiarities that you should be able to draw some conclusions about what to do.

The facts on this car are, they need little maintenance. I felt the same way when I got mine (man, shouldn't I be doing something to it?).

As for how much to deposit, I keep in mind that the car (in my case) is 12 yrs old. Catastrophic failure could occur at any time so, I do all the upkeep I can for the least money possible. No upgrades, no big projects, no replacing something that might go bad, but really, that's just me. They are great cars!!!

yotatoter likes this.
  3. MyUsernameIs

MyUsernameIs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Woah Woah Woah! That link has a bunch of service work that I haven't had done. This is crap! I want a refund on my car.

:)

Just kidding. Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen it. I am not prowling the forum as much as I probably should. I am like many people who just want to add gas and expect the thing to last forever - which from what I understand these new cars are doing remarkably well compared to cars of the yesteryear where you really wanted to swap them before 100k or else.

As far as the traction battery possibly failing - After a few days of no use it will get the turtle - it starts and runs it just has no low end oomph - once you are up to cruising speed its just fine. The ICE runs for awhile (I assume to charge it? and does not STALL at stop lights like I am used to when it drops to electric) and then its fine. As long as we don't ignore it for days at a time its fine. I replaced the 12v recently because of starting issues - I don't recall what they were, something like either angry errors or it just hesitated a lot more then normal when starting. Anyway those issues (whatever they were) are gone and now we just have the "unused car - now we have a turtle" which has happened a few times after a few days of no use. Maybe its just getting back at us for not driving it EVERY day. But I figure its got bigger issues then just being depressed.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Myusernameis,
    See my response in your "Turtle, Turtle" thread. You're traction battery appears to be fine (to me). I think I gave you a reasonable diagnosis and sincerely believe that will fix your turtle problem.