1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Major Alaskan oil field shutting down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cwerdna, Aug 6, 2006.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenFarmBoy @ Aug 8 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]299787[/snapback]</div>
    Your other points were good and I agree, but I wanted to comment on this one - SUVs are shown to have a high fatality rate due to rollovers (often not even involving another car). So people who buy an SUV for safety aren't really looking at the numbers, they're believing hype of a different kind. But it's a common perception, unfortunately, and hard to change.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They've already changed their tune. Now it's "corrosion" in the pipe. Yeah, a viscous oil product is causing "corrosion" of the piping, whatever ...

3. ivfarmboy

ivfarmboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Aug 8 2006, 04:57 AM) [snapback]299545[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 8 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]299852[/snapback]</div>
    Look, rollovers aside, if my boy and I got hit in my Corolla by a 3/4 ton Suburban, much heavier than an Excursion, were done... I know this cause I drove that suburban, I know shame on me, and it was a complete monster. Got my due, it cost me a fortune to get rid of.

Certain SUVs are very topsy but the newer ones are much better. Rollovers mostly is a driver thing, meaning I can control that as a driver, and I am talking about getting hit in by another driver that I cant control. I am not the best communicator but I hope you get my drift on this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 8 2006, 05:58 AM) [snapback]299554[/snapback]</div>
    So why not make it NOT a JOke? That is my point put teeth into it and it will work, it started to work in the 70s but then the Arabs saw what was happening and raised production in the 80s to lower prices and kill alternatives. Smart on their part, not so on ours.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 8 2006, 05:58 AM) [snapback]299554[/snapback]</div>
    Are you kidding me? Were not talking about 80 but over $100/barrel and I guarantee you the .... will hit the fan. Come on man what was one of the leading causes of the 70s recession, energy prices. Not an assumption just plain history. I know many businesses that would either lay off or do other drastic actions. As someone with ties to Ag, I can tell you that you will have less choice and pay a heck of a lot higher prices for your produce, fruit and most other foods. That said I totally agree with your plan of phasing it in. I think that can be done with CAFE with teeth and no loopholes and tapping our countries great ability to get things done when we put our back into it. That is where the government comes into play and unfortunately they are not there yet. I dont understand why but if the government doesn't start the push I dont think it will happen. Too much disinformation out there...

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenFarmBoy @ Aug 8 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]299856[/snapback]</div>
    As far as the comment on SUV stability, it's a moot point. Pickups and SUV's are exempt from Federal rollover and occupant cage integrity requirements. A lot of folks complain about how thick the "A" pillars are on most cars, the reason is to prevent pancaking the passenger compartment in a rollover.

The first winter snow or ice event here, there are plenty of cars and SUV's/pickups upside down along the Trans Canada. The passenger car compartment is intact, and the driver if properly restrained is usually able to walk away.

The SUV or pickup is another matter. The passenger compartment usually ends up pancaked, causing several fatalities here each winter. There is no way I'd want to be in such a vehicle if it started to tilt, and just due to the construction of the vehicle that is far more likely. I'll suggest you search NHTSA for the stats on the injury and death rates of SUV's and pickups.

As far as a large vehicle hitting a smaller one, no kidding but the smaller vehicle will usually lose. The reason why EU highway injury/fatality rates are a fraction of ours has to do with the fact most of the vehicles are much smaller, so there is less energy to manage in a crash.

Here - especially in the USA - with the giant SUV's, the vehicle is usually driven in an aggressive manner. When there is a crash, the occupant of an unlucky innocent motorist in a smaller vehicle is the loser.

An extreme example occured here last winter when an off-duty cop got shitfaced, and plowed his full size pickup into a tiny Geo Metro waiting at a red light. The female driver of the Metro was instantly killed, and the shitfaced offduty cop had very minor injuries.

Of course, it would be the same outcome if a full sized vehicle plowed into a pedestrian, or hit a person on a bicycle. Bigger isn't better, especially when two big vehicles collide.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenFarmBoy @ Aug 8 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]299856[/snapback]</div>
    You are right on target with this, but the sad thing is that the gov't is not holding back because of misinformation. They are the source of it, as it does not fit in with their "agenda".

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Aug 8 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]299889[/snapback]</div>
    OMG...Do you mean our government misinforms us about stuff???? :eek:

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 8 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]299894[/snapback]</div>

Hee hee, sorry to disillusion you Rufaro! :p

8. ivfarmboy

ivfarmboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Aug 8 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]299873[/snapback]</div>
    My only point on it is - I am a lot more in control of rollovers as a driver than I am of the many reckless drivers out there. I actually got hit and ran in my Corolla at 40 mph or so, both of us. The other driver was driving another Toyota or Nissan small car and luckily hit my tire and not my door, if so doubt be discussing this with you. You know I drove that Corolla 130 miles home... Whole left side had to be replaced. But had that been a bigger vehicle - Good Bye... Love that little Corolla and had it fixed and it is now my second after my Prius. Talk about a tough little car...

Owned many Pickups and SUVs and know what you are talking about with rollovers. They are dangerous in that regard and I think most people don't realize that and if they did would at LEAST drive more carefully.

9. jannlinder

jannlinder New Member

YEAH!!!

Ya'll Won't Believe This!!!!

I live in the San Jose, Ca area and I was (earlier) screaming no one had Prii (and Cambrids) in stock! I was getting 4-6 weeks (min) order time.

WELL--I just emailed Technology Credit Union's "Car Store" (for their members only) from their web site and within 30 minutes "Holly" had me a BRAND NEW 2006! Silver Package #7! (thanks to that person here who suggested i opt for the #7 *or* the #8 to get one qucker) It is on the boat outside San Francisco, awaiting delivery on Aug 9th to the dock! I will have it in less than a week! They put me right in contact with a dealer locally that had that car destined for them!

To all Bay Area employees of Hi-Tech Companies: Most of you are eligible for membership at the Tech CU if you are in one of the Hi-Tech fields...and this gets you AMAZING service when it comes to locating Hybrids! She also called me back about 1 hour ago saying she found me a "Cambrid"!

I cannot believe my luck! Just goes to show that going directly through a dealer is not the best thing sometimes! :lol:

Jann

10. ivfarmboy

ivfarmboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jann @ Aug 8 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]300070[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, now that is service... Congrats...

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 8 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]299852[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. I agree w/you on your above points but I agree w/GreenFarmBoy's point to some degree as well.

The problem unfortunately is because of the insane # of heavy SUVs on the road (at least here, by heavy, I mean anything in the class of a Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition, Seqouia on up), if you're in a lighter smaller car, you end up second best. From simple physics kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2.

A Prius weighs 2890 lbs, my Z weights 3210 lbs and my former 02 Maxima weighed 3218 lbs. A Hummer H2 weighs 6400 lbs. A Ford Expedition weighs 5352-5607 lbs. A smaller lighter car such as any of the 1st three is going to end up second best compared to a heavy vehicle in a collision.

All those crash tests you see from IIHS and NHTSA have the stipulation that you can only compare them against other vehicles in the same class and of similar weight. A 5 star econobox will not necessarily hold up well against even a 3 star huge SUV.

12. jannlinder

jannlinder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 8 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]299633[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, ending this flame now. Just going to respond to a few points as a matter of course:

They *ARE* advertising the hell out of them in the Bay area! You cannot go 3 blocks in San Jose or the Major Metro areas around the Bay w/o seeing a "40 MPG IN THE CITY" Cambrid billboard! They are ALSO all over the auto web sites. They are also all over all the news sites, they are also the main item in the auto section of the paper here! They ARE advertising the hell out of them. And there are generally none in stock!

I was aware of that. Does not change the fact that they do not have them when I wanted one. Not saying they HAVE to have them on the lot, just that it ticks me off that they do not.

As stated in the thread later on, I just did that
    Point of order: I did not know about this web site then. I just found out about this site when i searched for the Lockpick and iPod adapter from costaltech on Google. It listed priuschat.com as a site with information and I read on--then immediately joined!

I did join WHEN i decided to buy another prius and cambrid for my family.

No, I do not! I think they have been VERY stupid! American's have the most disposable income of ANYWHERE On the planet. They should be shipping ALL OF THEIR PRII here! ;) JOKE--DONT FLAME PLEASE! Really, if you think about it, Toyota should be shipping the cars to where they will sell the fastest for the most money...and that is NOT Japan or Europe, it is the US!

Yes
    No, I do not. There is something known as "Implied worth". 1 to 3 month or 6month to 1 year waiting time increases the value (and therefore price) of the car exponentially! When have you seen a SALE on the Prius? Cambrid? When have you seen ANYONE getting ANY SORT of meaningful discount on the cars!? You have not! That is what "Implied worth" will do to you. It is also the exact definition of "Supply and Demand". Price goes up as supply lessens

Did not ask for simpathy. Asked for Understanding. I am not ignorant of the market--I just HATE what the Prius market has done to anyone wanting to buy them! I really am not pissed anymore and please do not take this post as such. I just want you to understand that I think Toyota and their dealers are doing a disservice to the consumers by requiring a large deposit (on a car they could sell in a minute if it were on their lot) for ordering this car. I think they are doing a disservice by not having it in stock. I think they are doing a disservice by crippling the Nav and BT systems. I think they are doing a disservice by shipping maps that do not have major metro areas covered with information that you could've gotten in a phone book 5 years ago--and then charging $289.00 for maps that are updated to a whole 3 years old! In short, I love my Prii and I (as a whole) love Toyota, I just hate the situation. That is all

Hopefully the flame war will now end.

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jann @ Aug 8 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]300070[/snapback]</div>
    Way to go Jann! Congrats! :D

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Aug 8 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]299835[/snapback]</div>
    It's Econ 101, the basic law of supply and demand. The California refineries are now in competition for the same sources of crude oil that the Gulf coast refiners use.

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 9 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]300384[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. Just ask the Canadians who saw prices at the pump skyrocket after Katrina, even though they export huge quantities to the US. Oil is a very efficient world traded commondity.

Why accept capitalism when it hurts the pocketbook, when a conspiracy is so much more invigorating ? I wonder how many people with investments have demanded from their brokers and retirement fund managers to STOP speculating in the energy market ?? :eek: :blink:

16. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Wth!!!!!! Gas here dropped 30 cents in 2 days. 2.79-9. I thought it was supposed to jump UP. Trying to listen to all the intelligent sounding experts on PC, this should not BE!!!!!!!

17. ivfarmboy

ivfarmboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Aug 10 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]301300[/snapback]</div>
    Oil is a funny creature, there is a very small amount that is traded on the spot market but it is what controls pricing. So if the traders get anxious we get high gas prices, if the gov can calm them then we don't. Kind of funny how it all works and nothing but entertaining...