1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Major caution for those who DIY oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Daryl K, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are instructions on the box:

B71E943D-4C97-4928-9125-1FA31D8970A7.jpeg 6A156A8E-ABDC-4133-97BF-F9CE4B4E3765.jpeg 01943A4C-FB32-4AED-BAB5-9A0882DAD5E1.jpeg

jzchen and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    By UM you mean Owner's Manual? Or?

There is no oil change instruction in the Owner's Manual, sadly. The image came from the 2010 Prius Repair Manual, Toyota's version of Shop Manual. Here's the full excerpt:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You guessed it right (UM = User's Manual, aka Owner's Manual).

Yeah, nothing in my UM/OM, but the comments in the Repair Manual are interesting.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe simple, but if the O-rings are jumping the groove, not so good. Toyota going back to a spin-in filter (mid-way through 2017 model year?) seems telling.

scona likes this.
  7. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Also telling that a local corner mechanic - hardly a large-sample barometer of issues - was all too familiar with this problem, knew what it was the instant he saw the car, and what to do to fix it. If there are that many instances just in my area here how many times has Toyota heard about this globally?

My wife wants me to file a complaint with Toyota, and I would consider it to provide another data point, but it seems they already got the point (i.e. the change back canister-style).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've just emailed the Service Manager at our nearby dealership, asking if he's heard anything about this, and also asked for info regarding price/compatiblity of the conversion parts. Will post whatever info I get.

scona and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting thread. Thank you for heads up information. I have not done any oil change on my own cars for years. I was planning to start DIY on my previous Prius (Gen3), but traded-in at the end of free Toyota Care service by a dealer. Now I have 17 Prime with a cartilage type oil filter, if I decide to do own oil change after next year, I have to remember this thread. Then again, I may just stick with a dealer, for there really isn't much saving by DIY oil change.;)

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When/If out of warranty, one can follow the linked thread to find the Armstrong Family Blog where the steps are detailed to swap to the spin on filter. The only thing lacking are the torque specs. I seriously considered this, but after finding that the Prius v and iQ share the same filter dimensions and large o-ring gasket I would have to buy two different filters for them afterwards. It is not possible to retrofit the iQ engine in the same way. The Toyota OE filter is cheap. I’m somewhat concerned it’s partly you get what you pay for. The Mobil, and now that I’m switching to, Fram, have better quality filters and gaskets. (You also pay more I must confess).

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've changed hundreds of these types of filters and never had a problem with any of them.
    I was lucky to never have a defective one I guess.
    It's probably cheaper to make spin on filters.

12. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would disagree with the "saving" part. I buy all my Mobil 1 during their semi-annual rebate, so that Walmart price + M1 rebate usually comes to $12 per 5-qt jug. I buy my oil filters online and by the case, so that usually comes to about $5 / filter, so materials right there well under $20.

However, this is not the real reason I DIY oil changes. I am an engineering executive so clearly the $40 or so I save by doing it myself doesn't even qualify as pocket change for me, but my major beef is the "hurried" nature of shops / lube places and the fact that they promise 5-min turnaround - barely enough to get 70-80% of the old oil out. I usually set mine just to drain in the evening and let it go over night, so that by morning there are not even drips coming out of the drain.

I always shake my head in disbelief that most of the lube stop-type places advertise such speed in the process, and to my non-automotive friends who don't get it I usually explain it by "Would you research and select a masseuse by the one who claims to get you on and off the table the fastest? I think not..."

2011priusgoofball likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, if I hunt for rebate and sale, it will save me just about $10 compared to have my dealer do it for $29.99. Over the course of 10 years of ownership, of which first 2 oil changes are free, the saving would be $80. Yeah, I have heard horror story about the lube stop-type places, but I am hoping my Toyota dealer does a better job. I know, I know, I am way over optimistic, but once or twice a year stop at a dealership works better for someone like me, especially after reading what you have experienced. At least, that way, if something goes wrong, I know who to blame.

#53 Salamander_King, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Steph1972 likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Found it: 19 foot/pounds.

upload_2018-8-27_10-45-14.png