1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Major JBL stereo upgrade but keeping stock HU

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by UNCLBONZ, Oct 18, 2020.

1. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very nice. So how much you spending on all of this?
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Mohsin Afzal

Mohsin Afzal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Thanks for the reply. What sort of power are you getting with the v9 amp. And what do u mean when you say trickle charge the 12v. I'm guessing the car is not capable enough to charge the battery when you're using soo much power? I'm just wanting to have enough so that I don't need to touch anything and the car can still run as normal.

3. Mohsin Afzal

Mohsin Afzal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Tha ks for the reply.. have you had any issues running this 900w rms setup I.e battery playing up at all? Or are things running smoothly.

4. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So far so good. It never really runs at 900 watts . That would be at full volume with a test CD playing. Of course music goes up and down and the way it's going to be tuned it will never really see 900 watts and it won't need to

5. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So far I have about $ 4,500 into the system plus Tuning which will be done soon

6. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The V9 is 100 by 4 channels and 500 for the sub. It's a class D amp so it's more efficient. But I don't think the charging system in the Prius is up to running anything off the 12volt. So I keep up running a trickle charger on the 12volt to make sure.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK ...I decided to bite the Bullet and build the A-pillar speaker pods for the front Tweeters and Mids. I'm looking to save some work by starting with these pre-fabricated pods . Initially they look like they will fit pretty well with some minor fabrication. I will post pics during fabrication and of course upon installation. Just not happy with the way the tweeters look sticking out of the A-pillar right now SPAEKER PODS.jpg

8. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1389.JPG IMG_1391.JPG OK so here are the materials for the A-Pillar speaker pods. All total not including the 3.5" Focal Mids its about $125.00 in materials . Materials include the Pre-Fab speaker pods off e-Bay, Fiberglass resin, Fiberglass mat, Fiberglass impregnated Bondo for the milkshake to coat the inside of the finished Pods, Regular Bondo filler for filling in after fiberglassing, Glazing puddy for final fill, 60,80,120 grit sandpaper, mixing buckets, chip brushes for fiberglass matt, and filler spreaders.

9. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1393 (2).JPG IMG_1393 (2).JPG So here are the Focal 3.5" Midrange speakers that I'm using in The Pods to replace the 4" focal midrange speakers in the dash. They were $300.00 from Woofers...etc. Focal calls them a 3" speaker but they actually measure 3- 3/4"

10. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1400.JPG IMG_1402.JPG So here are the aiming points for the tweeters in the A-Pillar pods. I have them centered on the two front headrests. An inexpensive pen style laser pointer ($ 4.00 ) from Walmart was used to set the aiming points to locate the speaker locations. You can see the laser pointer in the removeable round PVC disk that fits tightly into the speaker hole locations in the pods in the previous pics with all the materials .I cut some round PVC discs for both the tweets and mids. The Mid Range speakers are aimed about chest high in the center of the front seats. That was the highest I was able to point them using the Pre-Fab pods. These Focal mid-range speakers have great off-axis response so it shouldn't be too big of a beal.

11. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1394.JPG Left and right pillars with the access holes cut out. Be certain to rough up the surface of the A pillars with sandpaper to help with adhesion.

#91 UNCLBONZ, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  12. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    View attachment 216294 Left and right pillars with the access holes cut out and pre fab pods hot glued in place IMG_1395.JPG

13. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1398.JPG Temporary wood dowels hot glued in place to provide some rigidity while stretching speaker grill cloth into place

xliderider likes this.
  14. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1407.JPG IMG_1408.JPG IMG_1408.JPG Test fitting the pods in the vehicle before attaching grill cloth so I could make any adjustments if needed. These happen to fit pretty well on the first shot. Always a good idea to also test fit the Mid range speaker for rear clearance issues.

Attached Files:

15. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1411.JPG IMG_1411.JPG Here are the pods after they have been covered with the speaker grill cloth using CA glue and Activator. Use gloves when using the CA glue because it seems to stick very very well to bare skin. Ask me how I know that!!!

Attached Files:

16. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1414.JPG Here are the pods with the first layer of fiberglass mat applied before trimming and sanding down the rough edges. The holes are drilled in the pods to help the fiberglass resin adhere stronger. Resin does not bond all that well to plastic so the holes create a way for the resin to seep into the plastic pods and lock them together. Next step is cleaning up all the loose fiberglass mat and sanding to prep for body filler.

audiodave likes this.
  17. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1416.JPG SPEAKER PODS AFTER A QUICK SANDING TO PREPARE FOR FILLER.

audiodave likes this.
  18. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1447 (2).JPG IMG_1448 (2).JPG TEST FITTING THE PODS BEFORE APLYING ANY FILLER

19. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1449 (2).JPG IMG_1453 (2).JPG IMG_1458 (2).JPG A VIEW OF THE PODS FROM THE OUTSIDE THRU THE WINDSHIELD. THE IDEA WAS TO KEEP THE SPEAKERS AS TIGHT AS POSSIBLE TO THE PILLAR. I DID NOT WANT THEM LOOKING LIKE A TUMOR HANGING OFF THE A - PILLAR. THESE TURNED OUT PRETTY TIGHT WITH MOST OF THE SPEAKER BEING INSIDE THAT LITTLE SIDE WINDOW CUBBY WE HAVE ON THE GEN 3 . I'M PRETTY HAPPY WITH THEM SO FAR

audiodave likes this.
  20. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FIRST COAT OF FILLER. ONE SIDE SANDED THE OTHER NOT. I'M STILL DECIDING IF I WANT TO PAINT OR WRAP THESE PODS.

Attached Files: