1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Major JBL stereo upgrade but keeping stock HU

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by UNCLBONZ, Oct 18, 2020.

1. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How do you like your Yellow Top???

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It works and hasn't let me down.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Optima Yellow top arrived today so I was able to get it installed IMG_1551.JPG

4. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Finally a Yellow Top that's a direct fit with no Modifications or adapters needed. Even the OEM vent tube fits. It's Optima model # DS46B24R IMG_1553.JPG

audiodave likes this.
  5. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did you trickle charge it first? They can sit on the shelf for some time.

6. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I went ahead and grounded my amp to the battery too. Since so close.

7. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No I tested it first and it arrived at 13.1 volts so I just put it in.

audiodave likes this.
  8. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I ran a separate 4 ga. Ground wire to the Battery body ground location

9. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_1556.JPG IMG_1554.JPG Industry-Profile-Featured-Image-Apicella-Auto-Sound.png
    So yesterday 10/25/21 I got the opportunity to go see Nick Apacella at Apicella Sound to have my Prius sound system professionally tuned.. All I can say is WOW !!! Now I knew going in that a professional tune would make a big difference in the sound but I could never have imagined just how much of a drastic improvement it would really be. Let me start by saying something that many of you familiar with Nick will already know and that is that the man is a perfectionist when it comes to stereo tuning. When I arrived at his shop his crew members were already there working on custom builds for other customers. They warmly greeted me and asked to see what they could do for me. The tech Matt checked out my system and asked questions to be sure the system was up and ready with no problems so Nick could jump right in. As I sat in the back set of my Prius watching Nick perform his magic I knew that I was in for a treat watching someone who truly loves what he does when it comes to all things car audio. About 2 hours in I was already completely blown away and satisfied with the major improvement in the sound quality and clarity, but not Nick.. He wasn’t stopping until he squeaked every available bit of improvement out of the system. Several hours later he was done and I was AMAZED !!! He could have easily done a quickie tune and been done with me but that’s not how Nick operates. If you go see Nick you can be sure that he will do everything within his ability to be sure that you are completely satisfied before you leave his shop. That’s just how he operates. The man definitely has a special talent and makes it look so easy, which it is not. If you live anywhere even remotely near Stony Point New York and are looking for a GREAT professional tune or even a full audio install then do yourself a big favor and contact Nick Apicella . You will not be disappointed. I know I wasn’t. Thanks Nick for a great job.

10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What did that cost you?

11. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tune was $600. but he spent the entire day working on my Prius. I arrived at 10:00am and left at 7:00pm.

12. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sub1.jpg sub2.jpg sub3.jpg So me being me and constantly looking to improve things. I decided to change out the Subwoofer. After having the system tuned it was obvious that my used Kenwood 10" sub just could not compete with the rest of the system. So I installed this Adire Brahma MK 2.5 10" sub rated at 1000 watts. It actually fit into the Pre-Fab sub box that the Kenwood was in by just adding on one 3/4" spacer ring. It has a minimum .6 cubit foot sealed box rating and the NVX box is .7 cu ft. so that worked out nicely....... And this thing KICKS !!!

#152 UNCLBONZ, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OUCH!!!
    A lot of money for a car radio. :)

Glad it's YOUR money! (y)

14. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HELIX-M-ONE-X-Pers-input-side-1-672x672.jpg HELIX-M-ONE-X-Front-side-outputs-1.jpg HELIX-M-ONE-X-Front-side-inputs-1-scaled.jpg
    Of course my Audiocontrol 175watt single channel mini amp was never going to be able to power the new sub so........I went with this Helix M ONE X 1000 watt single channel amp to match my Helix DSP/8 Channel Amp. Pics of install to follow whenever it stops raining !!!

#154 UNCLBONZ, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  15. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yea....This build has definitely taken on a life of it's own. I started out with a budget of $2,000 but that very quickly went by the way side. If you sat in this Prius and heard this system you would think it's a $10,000 system, which it likely would be if I didn't do the install myself. The only thing out sourced was the professional tune. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. Now I hope the wife never finds out how much it all costs...YIKES...that would not be good !!! A really ,really high end system goes for way more. One of the Customer vehicles I saw there was getting a $37,000 system installed in their Mercedes 5 series truck

16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My stock system sounds great to me! 98% of the time I listen to podcasts...
    1.9% is music on my iPhone. And .1% is a 5 minutes news cast at the XX:55 time....
    If I even need to replace the stock radio(nonJBL), I'd get the lowest cost system with
    Air Play. And I'd look for a sale! :)
    I've been driving around 1000 miles a week, and I think it sounds great! :)

17. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yea Dogman, Everyone has their own take on what's acceptable for a stereo system. Ever since I was a kid I've have always had a nice sounding system in whatever vehicle I had at the time. This is like my 10th car audio build. I travel about 500 miles a week just back and forth to work so good tunes are important to me. I'll be the first to admit this system is a little over the top in a Prius...Even for me !!!

ASRDogman likes this.
  18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd rather put that kind of scratch in for wheels and suspension upgrades.

It looks like you're still on stock wheels?

19. UNCLBONZ

UNCLBONZ Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yea the Go-cart is still riding on totally stock suspension, but that too will change once the sticker shock of the audio system wears off with the wife !!! The sound system was my first priority. I've only had this 2011 since January. Drove my 2005 Prius before that and my youngest son still drives it when he's home from college . 185,000 K miles and still going strong. It's amazing to me how well these cars will run with just a little TLC.

audiodave likes this.
  20. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I ran it straight to the battery and even ran another 4 gauge to a thicker metal area under the car. Considering everything for the car already flows through the original negative cable I figured why not.