1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Major misfire problems after EGR valve replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusLover4Life, Apr 12, 2017.

1. PriusLover4Life

PriusLover4Life New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A month ago I had the EGR valve replaced under a warranty enhancement. The EGR valve was causing a banging noise in the front passenger side when I cold started my car. After the EGR valve was replaced the banging noise got worse instead of better. One time I started it and it sounded like a diesel truck instead of a Prius. I recorded that noise and played it for the dealership. I was informed replacement of the EGR valve caused the carbon in the EGR pipe to loosen causing the engine I was informed the EGR pipe and cooler needed to be replaced and was not covered under warranty $880. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Has corporate Toyota been contacted about this, or is it just the dealership so far? This is getting nuts, Toyo needs to take responsibility I think. :mad:

How many miles on it?

m.wynn likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y)!

In addition to mileage, could you also share additional info:

• Dealer maintenance only or DIY?
    • Oil consumption, if so what rate?
    • What type of gas is used (Top tier or whatever is available)?
    • Ever used any fuel k he room system cleaner?
    Price seems high, but a new cooler can be pricy. Pipe can be cleaned easily. But the intake manifold is probably carboned up:(.

Keep us posted (y)!

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to summarize: the EGR valve was replaced, under warranty. And now they're proposing to replace the cooler and pipe. I can't much see the point of replacing the pipe: it's literally just a pipe, and very easy to clean. But the cooler yeah, it might be best to replace. As Raytheeagle can attest it's an easily clogged labyrinth.

Ask to keep the old cooler, you might be able to clean it, and use it if there's a next time. FWIW, On Toyota Online Parts the EGR "cooler" (referred to as "pipe") is $233.14. Maybe that's in fact what they're referring to when they say pipe. Confusing to the max:

EMISSION COMPONENTS for 2010 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

For reference, the EGR valve is circled in red (and unidentified, for some reason), the pipe and cooler highlighted in yellow:

upload_2017-4-12_19-27-23.png
    To replace the cooler (aka pipe): $233 for the part (retail is $352, more'n likely the dealership charge), and maybe 2 hours labour? Unless they clamp off hoses it will also entail an engine coolant change.

This leaves the intake manifold unaddressed? It very likely has a lot of clogging too, being the ultimate recipient of this EGR detritus.

Attached Files:

#4 Mendel Leisk, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    +1 for keeping any parts you have replaced at a dealer.

Never know when you could use them;).

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm just glad we're so low mileage. Maybe owners like you, and Toyota, if they ever acknowledge it, will have it all sorted out, by them time we get into mileage where EGR starts to rear it's head.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll trade ya;)!

m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh and about 2 weeks until @m.wynn begins some other maintenance related experimentation:).

Upstate NY meetup anyone:whistle:!

m.wynn likes this.
  9. PriusLover4Life

PriusLover4Life New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I have a much bigger problem. I took my car to a different dealer period that dealer said it was not the EGR pipe and cooler. They ran a battery of test resulting in the decision my head is warped! Apparently when the engine is turned off antifreeze is leaking between the head and the engine. When a cold start is performed the vehicle is knocking loudly. I am taking it to the prior dealer three times in the past year for a knocking in the engine upon a cold start. I also found out when the EGR valve was replaced it was not calibrated at all. Could it be possible that this cause my problem with the engine? I am so angry I could spit nails exclamation point rebuild the head $2,800 plus tax rebuilt engine $4,600 plus tax. My car has 211,000 miles on it

10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry to hear about your state of affairs.

In the 211 k miles you have on it, does it consume any oil? If it is consuming oil, did a dash light let you know it was or did you find it through checking the dipstick?

I am not sure how they would calibrate the egr valve as it is a simple plunger style valve controlled by the computer (and the computer doesn't know you changed the valve). I have replaced our egr valve with a salvage valve and did nothing upon placing it into service (from a calibration perspective anyway).

Sounds like you are a little spun up on Easter Sunday. While this will be an expensive repair, IMO it would be worth looking at a salvage engine that has much less miles on it.

Keep us posted(y)

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it just my Canadian perspective, or are those numbers not bad? My hunch would be to go with the head rebuild.