1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Major oil loss problem, no oil light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Exophrenologist, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Exophrenologist

Exophrenologist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hello all. So apparently it's a good idea to routinely check oil on Toyota Prii. I did not know that! (After years of higher-performance high-maintenance cars I bought a Prius to get from A to B, took it to the dealer for all service on time, and otherwise forgot about it.)

Problem is, 2 days ago we drove from Quebec City to Ohio in one day (950 miles) and now I believe the engine is ruined. The car was serviced 6500 miles ago at the dealer. Dealer never mentioned excessive oil consumption, or recommended frequent oil checks, during any service visit before. I specifically asked about severe (5000 mile) vs normal (10000 mile) intervals and the dealer said our part of the country only requires 10000 mile oil changes for all their customers.

There were no indications of trouble on the trip. The oil light never came on. Fuel economy was the same there and back, 39.9 MPG (fully loaded with kids and suitcases at 75 mph).

This morning the engine sounds like it's full of gravel and I checked the dipstick. Oil doesn't even register except at the very tip, with what looks like sludge. I now notice a whiff of burnt oil, which I did not notice during the trip.

My questions are: Given that this car is still under the CPO powertrain warranty and the oil light has never come on, can I safely assume repairs will be covered? I understand (now!) that frequent dipstick checks are a good idea but is that required for warranty coverage? Why didn't the oil light come on? It wasn't on then and it doesn't come on now. Is it safe to put oil in it now so that I can drive it to the dealer, or should I tow it (I assume it'll need to be towed...I don't want to start it again with all the racket it's making).

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Add oil to it and see what happens. The dealer will have to do an oil consumption test, to see if it'll burn a quart in 600 miles before they'll cover a replacement.

SM-N900P ?

KennyGS and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    probably your intake manifold making that noise

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The only light that'll come on is a low oil pressure warning light, likely way too late.

FuelMiser likes this.
  5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can verify personally that at 3 liters low...no low pressure light. My dealership quick lane wrench left the filter bowl "loose" and day after I came home from a 400 mile round trip notice oil under vehicle when moving out of driveway and...nothing on the dip stick. Called Dealership and talked to Service Dept. Big Boss and after brief discussion I poured the 3+ liters in. Told him I was not going to drive it, so they had it towed. 2 hours later he called back to have me pick it up. Our discussion ended with them taking responsibility. Had 86,000 miles on the vehicle at that time so power-train warranty was expired. They extended the power-train warranty an additional 100,000 miles with free oil/filter changes during that period (at any cycle I choose)...and replaced the belly pan because the sound damper was oil soaked. If the motor goes out of spec on burn rate or goes kaput...new motor on them. Good luck.

#5 frodoz737, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to not provide a supportive reply, but:
    Routine oil checks are a requirement on every vehicle I have ever owned.
    Based on the wording in every owner's manual of every car I have ever owned, Prius included, regular oil level checks are a maintenance requirement. I would be astounded if this will be covered under any warranty.

6500 miles is far far too long to go without checking. Most individual vehicles will be fine at that distance, but a significant fraction need attention sooner. It is entirely up to the owner/operator notice and address such issues. Most manufacturers disclaim any warranty responsibility for oil consumption less than 1 quart per 500 to 1000 miles.

#6 fuzzy1, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    kenoarto likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the oil light didn't come on, then there was still oil pressure in the system. I don't think there was permanent damage but whatever caused the oil to burn that low in 6500 miles.....is still there.

I hate having warranties for this reason. They will charge you for all these tests they want to perform....and at the end, it'll be considered "normal" since it won't burn 1 qt in 600 miles. So it'll just cost you money to have these tests done......and if you don't do them, you'll think you're missing out.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That doesn't even mean that's the level. The Prius dipstick is very hard to read. I think due to kinks in the tube it runs through? Whenever I check ours there's oil running along the edges. Flipping it over it's just possible to discern the true level.

I would follow JC91006's advice: get maybe 4 quarts of 0W20, bring the oil up the top mark, cross your fingers. How many miles on the odometer?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

10. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I check my oil -- I would never put 6500 miles on a car without checking. That's me.

All you can do is fill the oil and see what is up -- run it for a while.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Did it sound like this?

12. Exophrenologist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have about 80000 miles on the car.

I should clarify, I'm not saying I never check the oil. I do, but it was about a month before this trip that I last checked it, and it was fine then. I wish I had checked immediately before the trip.

Fotomoto - yes the engine sounds like your video.

Thanks all for the replies.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That particular phenomenon happens when you start a cold engine (ICE) for just a few seconds (like moving it around the driveway) and then let it sit for several hours in cool conditions (usually overnight). The misfire (sounds like the engine is about to grenade) happens on the next start.

Did you have similar circumstances? If so, the low oil level may not be related.

14. Exophrenologist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fotomoto - You saved me a tow. We did move the car in the driveway and after reading your reply, I restarted the car and let it run and the sound cleared up. Thank you very much.

Still very concerned about oil consumption. I'll top it off now but this seems like a significant amount of oil consumption.

Honestly between this and the $2700 nav unit that now needs replaced (unrelated issue) I'm reconsidering my thoughts on Toyotas.

Thanks again.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This start up issue probably saved your engine, otherwise you would not check the oil

SM-N900P ?

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The funny thing is this happen to me on my 2010 when it only had about 15k miles and it was almost the exact same time of the year. We were leaving for spring break and this misfire happened as I was pulling the car out of the garage to load the luggage! I had washed it the night before and when moving it back into the garage the ICE came on for just a couple of seconds. Luckily I had seen it reported here so even though I understood what had just happened I was still very concerned about making such a long trip but it ran fine.

Your oil consumption needs to be monitored. Most manufacturers have benchmarks for warranty repair: one qt per 1,000 miles is a typical rule of thumb. This is so high that the time between oil changes is enough to run out of oil like you did and still not meet their standards.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota's is even worse, one quart per 600 miles, per JC91006's post #2.

Toyota, and the rest of them, should be required to show that in the sales brochures. :)

18. Exophrenologist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So it took 2 quarts. Which if I remember correctly is almost half. Not nearly as bad as Toyota's limit.

Frustrated with myself for taking a 2000 mile trip in that condition but lesson learned.

fotomoto and bisco like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a bit early, but not unheard of. the 2010's seem to be the worst offenders for some reason.

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You think maybe because more owners followed the 5,000 mile oil/filter change schedule recommended for GEN II's? Just saying.

#20 frodoz737, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    bisco likes this.