1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Make car forget smart key?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by gonzo404, Apr 4, 2022.

1. gonzo404

gonzo404 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

My question is: can you make your Prius "forget" / invalidate / deactivate a key?
    I see discussions on this forum on how to program a new key if one is lost, but my problem is the opposite:
    I am looking for a way to de-active (from the car's perspective) the lost key.

The lost key had my address information with it, so in case it is found (by someone else), theoretically they can just drive to my address and open the car, which is what I am trying to avoid.

Some options that I thought might work:
    - make the car forget all keys, then "pair" the key that I have with the car (giving it a new code or something?)
    - pair the existing key again (but would this also invalidate the lost key, or that will keep working)?

The existing key looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Thanks a lot for the help!

2. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sorry to hear that you lost a key.

Invalidating all of the keys, and then programming the existing keys is likely your best bet.

Fwiw, you're likely better off having a dealership do that.
    Otherwise, you can easily end up with a brick in your driveway, that then has to be towed and dropped off at the dealership.
    Make sure you bring a printout of your registration, along with your driver's license.

Good Luck!

3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd call the dealer- and tell them what happened and ask what they need you to provide.

Mike

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The basic premise that's motivating you is best dealt with by doing something to disable the car so if a thief has a spare key the car won't start. You could pull a fuse or add a switch.

As in most Toyota stealerships are going to pretend that wipe and re-seed of remaining FOBs is not an option and that you need to replace the entire immobilizer for many thousands of dollars all for something that's likely not to happen.

Alternatively you could get an electronic locksmith with Toyota Techstream software w/monthly security upgrade to wipe and re-seed your FOBs for under $1K but that's still a huge amount of money to throw away to prevent something that's likely not to happen.

Or you could buy a mini-vci dongle that comes with Toyota techstream and install on old Windows computer and use the service in Europe that charges you ~$40 for turning your VIN# into the wipe and resead password in Toyota techstream.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As long as you still have one key that works, there is absolutely zero need for any scary "wipe and reseed" or "replace immobilizer" nonsense.

"Car, please forget every smart key except this one here that I'm using" is one of the routine registration procedures. Any dealer can do it, or independent locksmith or anybody else with a Techstream rig. You don't need the more-restricted "security professional" activation, or any kind of seed code. Those things are only needed (for obvious reasons) if you are trying to start with no currently working registered key.

PriusCamper likes this.