1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Make Me Love The Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DBM, Nov 10, 2004.

1. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

just another perspective.

don't forget the $2000 tax credit

and I recall you said you're in Cali.
    In Cali., you can drive your Prius in the HOV lane

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Can’t have it both ways.

First Toyota was accused of selling the Prius at a loss . . . then we are accused of paying too much . . . for a car with a list of features you can’t buy in a less expensive car. Toyota says they are making a profit on Prius sales. Could they sell them for more? YES. Can I sell my 2005 AM for more than I paid? YES! Will I sell? Hell no.

This car is future proofed. If gas prices go up to $3 per gallon - I’ll still be laughing my way past gas stations. If gas goes to $4 or more - I’ll still have a smirk on my face knowing that my costs are really half of what the signs say.

Someone approached me at my last fill-up and said, “so it’s true, those ARE gasoline/electric cars. I’ve seen them before, but yours is the first I’ve actually seen at a gas station . . . and I’m here a lot!†:lol: 8)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll second some of the posts here. We have a Camry 4 cylinder and the Prius so we can easily compare our fuel mileage. As expected, the Camry takes twice as much fuel (about 40 litres) after one week while the Prius calmly takes in 15-20 litres. Naturally, fuel efficiency isn't the Prius' main goal, it's emissions. I drive the Prius to university and I only get second looks from the older crowd which I guess some of which are professors., since those students who drive, tend to own BMWs and M-Bs...

As for technology, I love the SKS. That's definitely a cool factor. So is getting out of the car and showing your friends that the car is still up and running (even though the engine's off). The JBL 9 speaker sound system is awesome. Wish I had got the Nav but didn't want to spend Cdn$3000 more for it.

All in all, it makes up for the price. The amount of features and options, the amount of emissions you spew out and the fuel savings per week, the government tax incentives and the feeling you get knowing that you're maximising the efficiency of the modern automobile.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Rflagg reminded me of something. My wife always got on me for being aggressive. Personally, I didn't think I was, but whatever. Anyway, something I've noticed since I got my Prius: when I drive a little smarter, coast more, and not ride the nice person of the car in front of me, I manage to arrive at my final destination exactly 100% of the time. Personally, I didn't expect it to be that high and I was shocked at first. But it's true. I have yet to drive so cautiously and smart that I don't get to where I'm going. In fact, these days I laugh at those who speed up to red lights and slam their brakes on.

That reminds me of yet another thing. After almost three months, I still grin sometimes when I roll to a stop at a stoplight and realize that my engine stopped running almost a quarter mile back.

And I always smile when I roll into the work parking lot, pull into a place, back out, readjust, and park the car entirely on battery power. Bystanders just stare at the silence.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not yet. The state is still waiting for Federal approval of the program.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You were expecting to have a lot of accidents? Or for the car to break down if you didn't drive aggressively? ;-)

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With ABS, EBD, Brake Assist, Traction Control, Vehicle Stability Control, HID headlights, integrated fog lights, and “snowflake in the road†indicator. . . you are more likely to continue that 100% streak. . . And combined with the outstanding results from the European crash test, multi-stage airbags, ALR/ELR seat belts, front seat mounted side airbags, front and rear side curtain airbags, and highly rated head rests/restraints, you are more likely to be able to start your streak over should someone decide to share the same space time continuum with your car.

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's funny. I didn't know what I was thinking before I started driving Priapus. It was like, "if I don't cut in front of that guy, I'll be stuck in this lane for the next block." Or, "if I would have changed lanes when I had the chance, I would be three cars ahead by now." Both of those sentences are then concluded with a "Dammit!"

Nowadays, I occassionally think about changing lanes but don't. If that guy wants to change lanes in front of me, that's fine because I just don't care as much. I have some good tunes in the CD player and can just chill out while I watch my battery recharge.

Honestly, I don't know why I was ever concerned about getting to where I'm going. It's just not worth the stress.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    when i am driving somewhere in heavy traffic, i tend to pick out someone who is in a hurry...(they are very easy to spot). then see how long it takes them to get out of sight.

most of the times, one of us turns off before the hurried driver can get that far ahead.

in fact, most of the time, on surface streets, i can go 8 miles (that is my commute if taking surface streets) on this one main artery and the hurried car may only be 5-10 cars ahead of me waiting at the same lights as me. now this 8 mile drive consists of speeds at either 35 or 40 mph. 3 miles of 2 lane travel and 5 miles of 4 lane travel with 9 lights and two traffic circles. it is the most heavily travelled north-south corridor in the near city limits and travels on the edge of 3 small cities. despite the congestion, about 50% of the time, i can make this entire route without braking at all except for the traffic circles. (speed limit is 15 mph at the circles and everyone for some reason stops before entering although its not required)

it is this trip that can make or break my mpg's. frequently, if i need to stop at the bank or something, i will go this way as it is 10 times for convenient than the freeway since my bank is on this road. (also my work is on a major connecting artery to this road. so its a one turn route) so frequently, i make a round trip or two and i always boost my tank mileage at least a mile or two.

so you see, it can be done. and yes i coast frequently with traffic piled up behind me and i dont care. its my car, my gas, and i am not holding up traffic. but i will say that if i wasnt there, the people behind me might be a few car lengths farther ahead if that. most of the time, because of congestion, they would be in the exact same place. if it bothers you to have all them people following you.... do what i do... put on some foot stomping music on as loud as you can handle it and enjoy!

btw... gas mileage recorded (computer only) 19.3 miles @ 112.9 mpg

10. mary2al

mary2al Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TIRE PRESSURE was low! Same as any car but if you're scrutinizing it you will be more sensitive to deficiencies. It should have been 42 front and 40 rear. Only owners usually get this right. Plus the OEM tires are bottom rung with soft sidewalls. These two factors make it unstable at speed. Correct pressure is most of it but the first time you need tires and upgrade to Michelins you'll be cookin!

11. DBM

DBM New Member

You guys are either evil or the best salespeople in the world! :p

Yes, this weekend we bought a Prius!
    The dealer that rented us the previous car called me to tell me that he has a cancellation. I was very reluctant to try it, but I gave it a shot anyway. Turns out the the steering wheel with the BC option feels a lot better than the other one and the car seemed a lot more stable around 90MPH.

Now if only the Fed approve the solo in the carpool lane law, we're set.

So, thanks for the input and see you around!

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DBM\";p=\"50570)</div>
    Another convert....can I get a Hallelujia from the People!!! :clap: :multi: :twisted:

13. rflagg

rflagg Member

Hooray! Glad to hear you made the choice, and even *more* glad to hear it was most likely just the car that had problems you test drove earlier. Don't forget you're still good for the $2k deduction for 2004 on your taxes. All in all, the most important thing of course, is that you're happy with your decision, and it sounds like you are. Enjoy! :)

-m.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We must be evil because sales people make money when they are successful! We only get the satisfaction of knowing your part of the world will be a little cleaner and there will be a little bit more oil left for our kids. Welcome to the Borg, you have been assimilated! :D

15. DBM

DBM New Member

I know the feeling! I must have "sold" at least 10 BMWs without making a penny.

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey, congrats, DBM! Welcome to the Cult of the Prius.

I am convinced that in less than a couple weeks you will truly understand why so many people are so quick to express their love and appreciation of the Prius.

Has anyone told you yet that if you have pictures, you are required to post them?

17. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hallelujia and amen...and yet another person sees the light...way to go... :clap: :clap: :clap: :multi: :wave:

18. jchu

jchu New Member

Should we be changing the name of this thread to "Made Him Love The Prius" :mrgreen: 8)

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    welcome to the club!!

doesnt make you feel good though to know that you helped to guide someone towards the correct path??

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey, wait a minute!!!
    90 MPH???
    I feel duped!!!! :guns:

We may be the best Prius salespeople in the world, but I think in our blind haste to convince this person to buy - we were fooled by a sweet talker - a Prius Abuser!!!! :cussing: :cry:

“Make Me Love The Prius†. . yea right!
    90 MPH during the break in period???? Wth? Tough love on a baby is not love!

Shape up there DMB. Read the Owner’s Manual cover to cover and then the Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting forum on PriusChat.

(If we keep after him, we can . . . Make Him Love The Pruis!)

If only I would have known. I would have suggested a Hummer for him to abuse and thusly shorten its life instead.

:wink: