1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Make Prius more visible at night

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bobzchemist, Feb 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Folks, I could use some help. I'm looking for creative, constructive (and legal) advice to make my Prius stand out a bit more at night. You see, part of the deal I made with my very wonderful wife in order to get the 2010 IV in Barcelona Red rather than the 2010 II in Blizzard Pearl that she prefered (solely because it was easier to see) was that I would come up with ways to make the car easier for other drivers to see at night. Her patience with my procrastination about this has just about come to an end, and local advice has been less than helpful (flashing red, yellow or blue lights on top of the car are all illegal in Georgia, for example).

So, I'm asking for some suggestions that will be relatively easy to implement, relatively easy to reverse (in case I sell the car), will hopefully improve the look of the car a little (or at least not have people pointing and laughing), and wind up looking at least somewhat stock. My first thoughts were to add some kind of red LED strips on the trailing edge of the spoiler, and some form of DRL's in the front.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You could use some refractive light tape attached to the body; sort of red and white diagonally printed tape.
    Placement could be a large strip on the roof, on the rear hatch door, etc.
    You could be very creative with this tape

vegan likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Operating, or parked? From what direction(s)?

One of the things I liked about my last Ford was plenty of reflector area on the back. Parked on the roadside on a dark and stormy night, the reflectors were quite visible. Every car since came with minimal reflector area, e.g. a 2"x2" patch on each taillight (more on the current Prius), so I have added more adhesive reflectors. The oval plastic blocks haven't lasted long enough, and the remnant adhesive foam (sans reflector) is ugly. Flexible tape has lasted much better.

I usually have one small reflective set low, on the back of mudflaps, or on the black trim below the bumper of the current Prius.

2"x4" white reflective patches are on the hatch lower glass, outboard where molding and trim doesn't allow any view outside anyway.

Though not on this car, I also added a half-inch strip of reflective tape to the inside molding across the top full width of the hatch window of others, to catch the attention of any tailgating high beams. This should remain nearly invisible to properly aimed low beams.

Someone here removed the Hybrid badge on the front quarter panels, replacing them (the badges left a mounting hole) with side turn signals. You could do this too, making them a running light / turn signal combo.

Does the car have a hitch receiver? If so, consider adding an illuminated plug or cover as an additional taillight.

4. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Her concern is more operating visibility than parked, i.e., if she's not in the car, she doesn't care if it gets hit or not. On the other hand, I care a lot, so the reflective tape might be a good idea also.

Unfortunately, no hitch receiver yet.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That tape helps during operation too, though not as much as additional lights.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    j12piprius likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ most of those vastly exceed anything I would put on my cars.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did this on my wife's Tahoe amazon.com/Bully-CR-007A-Tail-Brake-Light/dp/B0000AY2BR

This seems like what you hope for amazon.com/dp/B01MSTFHOK

9. JoshM

JoshM Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed, but they are "visible". ;)

11. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just be aware that most jurisdictions make installing red or blue exterior lighting illegal on non-emergency/LEO vehicles.

13. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought it was ok if the red lights were brake/running lights on the rear of the car?

If not, I'm going to have to rethink my whole concept. Maybe I'll do everything in green...

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think red on rear is Ok, front isn't, especially if they're flashing.

15. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  16. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reflective tape.

17. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was hoping to wind up with a rear look vaguely similar to the Dodge Charger, which is hard to miss at night:
    upload_2017-3-2_10-12-27.png

j12piprius likes this.
  18. TomasV

TomasV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What about putting flashing or non flashing lights on the license plate? I've seen many construction vehicles with white/amber combos.

[​IMG]

Something like this. Should be easily removable before selling the car too. The rear brake lights that blink instead of a steady glow are, IMHO, more annoying and distracting than helpful.

Robert Holt likes this.
  19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    amazon.com/Redline-Flexible-LED-Tailgate-Light/dp/B01INY7F1G
    Is a 48 " flexible LED tail light, looks like it hooks to a trailer light port.
    CURT® - Towing Wiring Harness
    Like this one

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I seem to remember a PriusChat thread years ago, where somebody applied a lot of reflective tape to their Prius, making it almost a illuminated outline of itself at night.
    Probably NOT what the OP wants to do.

I actually kind of wonder what the statistics would be on night time crashes and vehicles different colors.
    I've never worried about it.

I've had 3 black vehicles in my lifetime. I'm driving one now.
    My thinking is "IF" and that is a big IF...they are at all arguably less visible at night..they are potentially more visible in the day. Black stands out against brightness and glare.

And at night? I've never really worried either. That's what headlights and taillights, and brake lights are for. Plus you assume approaching vehicles have headlights and they will illuminate your presence.

Firetrucks are traditionally still Red.

If I was REALLY concerned about promoting visibility, I suppose you just are limited to either "reflection" or "illumination" or some combination of the two.
    That would mean either attaching reflectors, reflective tape, or adding actual lighting.

None of which I personally would bother to do, because I think the whole premise of the visibility of a Red Prius being a problem....invalid.

But of course, I did not make a Faustian Bargain with a spouse.

Have you considered having the vehicle painted.....say......in a Blizzard Pearl?