1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making a 2010 Prius rear hatch easier to open?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Imran Haque, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Imran Haque

Imran Haque Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all! Maybe a weird post here.
    I do not own a Prius myself. My boss at work is an older gentleman (early 80s) and his wife is in her mid 70s.
    They have a 2010 Prius (not sure of exact trim) that they love and has less than 70k miles on it.
    They are considering trading it in for a newer one for one simple reason :
    The man has gone through cancer and has terrible eyesight, and the wife has a bad left shoulder (can't reach above her head) and he right arm is just about too weak to close the hatch by itself.

SO! Do you all know of any modifications I can do that are not terribly invasive (I have replaced door speakers, alternators, headunits, starters in my own cars, but this is not my car) that would make the hatch easier to open and close? I was hoping maybe there was some sort of modification similar to newer SUVs/Minivans how they have a button you can press that just opens and closes the hatch fully, though I'm sure that's a stretch. Would replacing the hydraulic lift make it any easier on them?

I appreciate the help in advance :)

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course I'm not close enough to evaluate their physical limitations.
    But from your description, there may not be too much that can be done. Ultimately, I've seen people modify their vehicles in amazing ways. So I never say it absolutely can't be done.- Somebody can do it.

But as far as I know there is no plug and play, easy, design built product that would work.

You could replace the hydraulics, that only changes the hydraulic lift dynamic.
    "Maybe" you could replace the lifts with ones that don't open as tall? But then you have a back lift that doesn't open fully. Is that what anyone wants?

I've had family members who's health has deteriorated over the years, and unfortunately sometimes that just means the tools you need and/or can utilize change.

I've got neighbors with newer SUV's with the hatches that open and close automatically.
    My Dad has one of the older Toyota Rav 4, with the hatch door that open's horizontally.

Others might have better suggestions, but as far as I know, there is no easy way to make the hatch "automatic".

Good Luck, I'll check in on this thread because I'd be interested in what any one else might be able to find or offer.

Imran Haque likes this.
  3. Imran Haque

Imran Haque Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Much appreciated! They are considering trading in their Prius for a newer one as they seem to think it is easier to open/close the hatch - I know it is not an automatic powered one but maybe they went to a dealer and tried one and it was just physically easier to open/close - I do not know.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe you could connect a strap to the hatch, so the reach isn't so high? It might get in the way when closing though.

padroo likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know...
    I'm kind of embarrassed that the idea of attaching a strap didn't occur to me.

But if they are buying a whole new vehicle, and it DOESN'T have an automatic hatch?

I'd sure try replacing the hydraulics and/or some other home remedies.

My concern would be, what happens as the hydraulics age on the new vehicle?
    It's a LOT cheaper to replace some hydraulic struts and see what happens, than replace the whole vehicle, only to discover in a year or two, that it's become just as difficult to open.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Please tell me your neighbor with the "terrible eyesight" isn't the one doing all the driving?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced the lift struts a while back to make the hatch lift height lower, to prevent the hatch from hitting low ceilings in garages.

It might make it easier for both of your neighbors to close the hatch. Here's a link with information, it's a simple swap:

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/1534279

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#7 xliderider, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  8. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can do this easily, or you can do it cheaply, but you can't do both. Solutions do exist, however, and are probably much cheaper than getting a new Prius, especially since they'll never get anything near what their 2010 is worth if they trade it in. The folks who mod vehicles for the disabled will very likely have packages for doing this already, or you can buy your own.

Power operated tailgate lift assisting system TL105 – Autoease

Autoadapt A-Hatch | ELAP

Contact Us | Jay Hatfield Mobility

The other thing that occurs to me is that if your friends find that a new model is easier to open/close, and since there wasn't any significant design change that I'm aware of, well, struts do degrade over time even if they're not used much. So, it's likely that the ease in opening and closing is only because the struts are new. That means xliderider is right and lift struts need replacing.