1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making a new master key when all I have is the valet key

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by lyza, Jun 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. lyza

lyza New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    When I bought this 2013 Prius C, it came with only the valet key (no master keys or remote keys provided; no Smart Key functionality on the car).

I was able to get new remote key blanks + OBD2 MVCI cable + Toyota Techstream version 13 + Windows 10 32bit all working, so I can connect to the car, and I am able to program the wireless key blanks for locking and unlocking the doors.

However when I try to do Key Registration, so that it would work in the ignition, it fails because I am using the Valet key and not a master key.

There is a master key registered on the car, but I do not have it and have no way to get it.

What am I supposed to do in order to get these key blanks registered as master keys, and set up in order to be able to drive the car with them?

2. lyza

lyza New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    ended up just paying $200 for the locksmith to come and reprogram the car to make new master keys.

seems like that is the only way to get a master key if you do not have any already

fotomoto likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I typically suggest a good locksmith instead of the DIY or dealer options.