1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making Homes More Energy Efficient

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by GoGreenGirl, Apr 19, 2012.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that $1/watt is rare, but PV can be had for ~$.80 for non UL panels,, $1.50 is a better average. Even a above $2, it still beat the hell out of small scale wind, in most cases.

Icarus

2. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree that PV is the best way to go for many areas. The price of PV has plummeted since I put up the wind turbine in 2006. I was also a beta tester and got a giant discount - otherwise I wouldn't have installed a wind turbine in such a poor location.

My turbine is on a monopole with a hinge plate, so I can hook up a gin pole and lower it down for service. It's still a lot of work to lower/raise it, so I'm glad it's been reliable.

The combo of PV and wind is actually great. They produce at complementary times where I live. Summer is hot and sunny with little wind. Winter is cloudier and windy.

3. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would never offer a client non UL panels through my company. And I agree with the other post that PV can be complimented by wind and if living off grid it may be a good plan. But if grid tied just do the PV.

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I absolutely agree that I would never offer clients non UL, for obvious reasons. Additionally, wind is a perfectly acceptable idea, if, and this is a big if, people do a thorough site study, understand the costs both long and short term, as well as the limitations, especially in an off grid or remote sites. As I stated earlier, in most cases, is the proper study is done, people will opt out of wind.

Non UL panels for hobbyists for small off grid applications should present little risk. I run a couple of set on remote sites, and they have performed fine.

Icarus