1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making the Right Choice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hillel, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Hillel

Hillel New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My Toyota Corolla lease expires soon, and I have decided to buy a low priced used-Prius as my next car. I found two cars of interest:
    The first is a 2004 Prius 5dr HB with 80,000 miles asking for $6,200 (plus tax and DMV). In 2008 it had an accident involving right front impact, but has been serviced regularly and looks in good condition. I have 2 questions after today's test drive - (1) When starting the car there is a 15 second delay before the motor turns on; and (2) The motor makes a humming noise when pressing the accelerator. The salesperson said that both of these issues are normal. Is that true? He said I could bring an auto mechanic to the dealership to verify the condition, but I do not know anyone who is willing to travel the far distance to the dealership.
    The second is a 2005 Prius 5dr HB with 150,000 miles asking for $5,000 (plus tax and DMV). It's had one owner and no accidents, and had a new battery placed in 2014. It's bumpers are scratched and interior looks worn. When starting the car, there was only a 2-3 second delay before the motor turned on. Is this typical for that generation , or is this due to the new battery? I did not get to test drive it.
    Please advise which Prius is the right choice? Hillel

2. Hillel

Hillel New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unrelated Questions...

How do I get stickers for the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane?

Are there any tax benefits for owning/driving a hybrid?

What does a new battery cost to install in a 2004 Prius?

Can a new lithium ion battery be placed in a 2004 Toyota Prius hybrid system?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would choose the 2005 with the new battery. With the lower price, you can use the extra money to paint the bumpers cheap and buy a newer interior from a wrecked Prius. Since you're able to lease a car, you obviously don't drive that much, the 2005 with 150k miles and new battery should last you longer than a 2004 with low miles and an accident on record (not to mention old battery as well).

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Answers for the OP's "Unrelated Questions."

1. Buy a qualifying vehicle. An 04 Prius doesn't qualify, and neither do any current production Priuses, although I think you might be able to get an off-lease Pip with the appropriate stickers.

2. Only lower fuel taxes. Generally speaking, hybrids in general and Priuses in particular have to be owned and driven over a period of time before you recoup the higher buy-in costs, which some people. Call a "hybrid premium." Since Priuses are modestly priced and have higher than average street values coupled with higher than average reliability ratings......you'll have to settle for just being financially wise instead of tax wise......which isn't always the same thing.

3. They're running about 1500-2500 unless you go to a dealer. You'll want to research CARB coverages for the battery if you're going to get a vehicle built in this decade.
    If you're shopping for an 04, you have bigger things to worry about than the battery.

4. Not practically. It would be like installing an 80-inch curved 4K HDTV in a single-wide mobile home.
    Yeah...it can be done, and you'll get some benefit out of it, but it wouldn't be what I would call financially prudent.

Good Luck!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it a new battery from a toyota dealer?

you do realize your going from a 'new' car with no problems, to an old car with many potential problems.

6. lifehouse

lifehouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gonna vote for 2005 too! 150k is average mileage for me and should give more quality miles.