1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Malfunction Already??!?!?!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Grren4ever, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hi Folks,

So I've put about 4000kms on my relatively new Prius and recently, I noticed a strange sound coming from the hood.

After the car is parked and I completely power it off, about 30sec to 1 minute later, I hear noises; sort of like electronic valves opening and closing / actuators from within the front engine bay. These noises last just a few seconds and then stop - I was used to this as I heard them since since the car was brand new, and the sounds were always consistent.

Then this last week, I heard the same sounds after the power-off of the car, followed by what sounded like a a loud "fart" noise. It sounded like whatever valves opening and closing needed to be lubricated because something i rubbing harder than it should be. The bad thing is that this "fart" noise which concerns me is never consistent. Some days I hear it, some days I don't.

First of all, does anyone know what happens under the hood when you power off the car? (why the strange noises?)

And on an unrelated issue, I am dying to know why everytime I open the drivers side car door to get in and go to work, the driver's door opening triggers a whirring noise coming from within the hood / underside. Opening other doors such as the passenger or rear doors does not initiate this noise.

Thanks folks!

2. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last first. That whirring noise is the electric brake fluid pump pressuring the braking system before you go driving around. Driver's side door = you getting into the driver's seat, so that's why it does that.

No clue about the farting noises, my 2010 doesn't do that. I think.

KBeck

3. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine pops and farts a minute or so after shutting down. Thats exactly how my boys describe it... "Dad your car farted!" followed by giggles.

Been doing that from 28k miles when I bought it. I assume & somebody correct me if I'm wrong, its the brake pressure being released.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that's the technical explanation of fart alright.

RRxing and ftl like this.
  5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sounds perfectly normal.

Scares the heck out of you if you park up, start polishing the car and suddenly it whirs and clicks and farts.

6. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Use the search and search fart

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I heard the prius thinks so much of itself with saving fuel and all, that it thinks its farts smell good and likes to enjoy smelling them.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The farting noise is the EVAP system. Normal.