1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lancew, Apr 26, 2008.

1. lancew

lancew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've had my new 2008 Prius about 3 weeks now and the low fuel indicator light had just come on (first refueling since my purchse).

I was on my way to fuel the vehicle when I noticed that the vehicle seemed to have died (perhaps it was just running on electric motor). As I pulled into the gas station the Malfunction Indicator Lamp came on showing various indicators ...Triangle (Red??) and Check Engine Icon and I think a VCS/ or VSC icon.

There was some audible alarm I heard also.

After turning off the engine and fueling the vehicle and restarting it, there no Malfunction Indicator Lights visable. I drove the vehicle home without any indications of a problem.

Should I have this checked out by my Toyota Dealer or is this due to the fact I might have run out of gas and the vehicle was running on the electric motor only?

I've searched these forums and found some similar posts that make me think it was just due to the low fuel but I'm not certain.

Thanks for any comments on my concern.

Lance

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Lance,

My guess is that you ran out of fuel. Since your low fuel warning doesn't give you much safety margin I suggest that you refuel when you get to two bars on the fuel gauge, or perhaps even sooner.

Since all warning lights are off now, there's no need to have the car checked by the dealer.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, you ran out of fuel. Don't wait for the blinking last pip. Fill up when you get down to 2 or 3 pips.