1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

malfunction indicator lamp

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Karen_Piano_Girl, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Karen_Piano_Girl

Karen_Piano_Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Gen 3, 2014 Prius Two and my complimentary ToyotaCare package just expired. I did not pay to renew. Less than a week after the ToyotaCare package expired, my malfunction indicator lamp came on and has not shut off. The manual says that this means a malfunction in the hybrid system, the electronic engine control system or the electronic throttle control system. The car is only two years old and has only 26,000 miles on it. I can't believe there's really a problem with they hybrid system so soon. Is this a scam from Toyota because I didn't renew the Care package? Or can there really be something wrong with the hybrid system after only two years? Does anyone else have this problem?

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Your car is under warranty; take it to your dealer and have them run a diagnostic. ...and no, probably no relation to the Toyota Care expiring.

3. Karen_Piano_Girl

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, DonDNH. I'll take it in to the dealer.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! which symbol is the malfunction indicator lamp?

5. Karen_Piano_Girl

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the Malfunction Indicator lamp on a Prius..
    [​IMG]

bisco likes this.
  6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This is the Check Engine Light (CEL). It often lights in response to a loose gas cap. You might check that before a trip to the dealer.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This symbol could be almost anything, down to things as small as a loose gas cap (see above). Serious hybrid system problems should have additional warning indicators.

The Toyota Care package is just for regular scheduled maintenance. The basic overall car warranty is 36 months / 36k miles. Various subportions of the car have longer coverage, the longest being 8 years / 100k miles for the hybrid battery. You should still be covered.

If the dealer is not convenient, some auto supply stores will even read the diagnostic code for free for you. (Or you may have friends with a scanner / reader handy. I might even be one of your neighbors.) Then many folks here can interpret what particular codes mean.

8. Karen_Piano_Girl

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, DonDNH and Fuzzy1. I did check the gas cap earlier today, as I had seen that on other forums, tightened the gas cap, then I turned on the car, off again, then on again hoping it would reset, but it didn't. I'm going to pop over to the auto supply store as you recommended and let them read it.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If that was the problem, then it will take more Off-On cycles to clear. I don't know the number of cycles (5-10 ??), but others here may.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it does take a few. but also, when you're at the auto store, they can shut the light off. if it was the gas cap, it won't come back on.