1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by jtg61, Sep 24, 2017.

1. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2016 Prius Two Eco had its Malfunction Indicator Lamp illuminate tonight. I parked it in the garage thinking I would take care of it in the morning. An hour later I went into the garage and it smelled like gasoline. I opened the hood and everything looked fine and no smell of gasoline. I looked under the vehicle and there was no gasoline spill. I walked around the car sniffing and I got a heavy smell of gasoline in the left rear wheel well under the fueling point. Now I filled up my tank a week ago so I didn't spill any recently while filling up. I opened the gas cap to let it vent and then closed it again. An hour later the strong gas smell was still in my garage emitting from the left rear wheel well. I looked over anything and I can't see a leak anywhere but I can smell it. I got worried enough that a pulled my Prius out of the garage and parked it on the driveway away from the house. Why would the Malfunction Indicator Lamp illuminate for a gas smell? Other than this, I drove the car home without any problem and pulled it out of the garage without any problem. Any ideas?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It’s most likely indicating a problem with some part of the evaporative emission control (EVAP) system, which helps to contain vapors from fuel in the tank. Before such controls were required, gasoline vapors from parked cars were a major source of hydrocarbon pollution into the atmosphere.

The engine control module (ECM) does several automatic tests for leaks, and if any of these fails, a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is recorded and the MIL turns on.
    That’s a very good thing to do. I wouldn’t park it inside again until the problem is found and fixed, especially if you have gas appliances or other sources of ignition in the garage.

RCO and jtg61 like this.
  3. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the info. My Allstate Drivewise® device sent me an email notifying me of a recently detected diagnostics issue for my 2016 Toyota Prius.
    "Detected: Sep. 23, 2017 - 12:34 p.m.
    P1423 was detected but additional information is unavailable
    Severity: Unknown
    We suggest contacting your mechanic to explore this issue."
    P1423 Toyota Fuel Tank Gross Leak OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

#3 jtg61, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  4. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got the result back from my local Toyota dealer service department. The diagnostic fault code P142300 is a current code for "EVAP GROSS LEAK" They inspected evap system "NO LEAKS FOUND" Performed Evap Leak Test with Tech Stream "OK" Cleared Codes "Vehicle is operating to manufacture's specs at this time"

They looked at me like I didn't screw the gas cap back on tight. I filled up the gas tank a week before the fault code showed up so the gas cap was screwed on tight for a whole week. It shouldn't work its way loose. My theory is the EVAP Purge solenoid got stuck open and leaked gasoline vapors which I smelled in my garage and in the left rear wheel well.

P1423 TOYOTA - Fuel Tank Gross Leak
    Possible causes: Faulty EVAP Purge solenoid
    Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors
    P1423 TOYOTA Description This diagnosis detects leaks in the Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) purge line using engine intake manifold vacuum. If pressure does not increase, the Engine Control Module (ECM) will check for leaks in the line between the fuel tank and EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve under the following vacuum test condition. The vacuum cut valve bypass valve is opened to clear the line between the fuel tank and the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve. The EVAP canister vent control valve will then be closed to shut the EVAP purge line off. The EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve is opened to depressurize the EVAP purge line using intake manifold vacuum. After this depressurization is implemented, the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve will be closed. Read more: P1423 TOYOTA Fuel Tank Gross Leak

More worrisome is my local Toyota dealer service department told me diagnostic testing isn't covered under warranty and they aren't reimbursed by Toyota. They were going to charge me for a diagnostic test until I complained. Has anybody heard of this before?

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not know about your 2016, but my 2009 Gen II has a bladder gas-tank and can give strange results if care is not taken when filling o_O. I remember once just after I got the car, when trying to fill too quickly the pump shut off after about 3 gallons making it seem like the car was doing 80+MPG :eek:, but the tank is a slow filler, and by taking care, I was able to squeeze another 3 or 4 gallons in. The manual, Toyota, and PriusChat all warn to take great care when filling, and DO NOT OVERFILL! (since overfilling can mess up the charcoal canister (part of the emissions stuff) and it can be a very expensive repair!) :)

RCO and jtg61 like this.
  6. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am always careful to fill using the slowest fuel flow setting when using the auto-shutoff position even though it takes longer to fuel. When it stops, I never try to put in a little extra gas. I place the fuel cap on the holder inside the fuel door and I always twist it tight and make sure it clicks. I think my Prius has a gremlin.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just my thoughts - if you asked them to run diagnostics for no real reason, I'd expect them to charge.

But - if it's as a result of a MALFUNCTION, I'd expect it to be covered by warranty. They didn't charge to check mine when I had a series of MALFUNCTION errors show up - but in my case, they pointed to a faulty Brake Light switch which has been changed.

RCO and jtg61 like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    US Gen 2 were the only ones with a bladder. You are correct about not overfilling though.

RCO and jtg61 like this.
  9. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I call "BS" on this......:sick:

RCO likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ...from the dealer.
    I could believe the customer is telling the truth.

11. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes.......thank/you

Prodigyplace likes this.