1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Malfunctioning NAV head

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rottie*lover, Jun 14, 2013.

1. rottie*lover

rottie*lover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our 2010's NAV head has recently begun throwing fits. Sometimes it's hard to get it into route planning mode via the touch panel. But, what's more prevalent is when the "hard" buttons are pressed the unit does other things; most often, for example, is that the "map" or other hard button is pressed and instead of the screen going where it's supposed to it'll switch radio stations.

Nothing foreign has been spilled, stuffed, or crammed into it. The car is garaged.

Questions: Any way to do a hard reset? Is this a warranty issue? Anyone else have this problem?
    Or, do I just cave and call the dealer?

Thanks in advance. If this has come up before, sorry, but I couldn't find anything in a forum search.

-Matt

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Nav unit is covered by the basic 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty.

Someone else was having issues with their Nav unit and disconnected the negative lead to the 12V battery to reboot everything and this resolved their Nav issues. Another person added a fuse that could be pulled to reboot the Nav without disconnecting the battery.

Try to do a search and see if you can locate the thread.

3. rottie*lover

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks jd, I'll do just that!

4. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I had my 2010, my Nav buttons no longer worked in their labeled functions. I was lucky to be able to get it replaced under warranty. I got an upgraded Nav map in the process :)

5. Aeroplay

Aeroplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is exactly what is going on with mine. It started a couple of months ago; once in a while it would do this however, now it's anytime you press a button it changes channels or goes to another function.
    Did you try pulling the negative cable? Is it resolved?
    Herb

6. rottie*lover

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Herb!

Before I got a chance to deal with this, my wife traded in her Prius for a Subaru Outback.

We loved the MPG this car got. There were other things that she/we didn't like: the nose clearance being so low that it would scrape on the road depending on the camber/angle, etc.; how sometimes in the winter it wouldn't be able to get up our driveway (600' on a hill). And, she never felt safe having to brake in the rain across certain things (railroad tracks, manhole covers), because it felt as though her brakes weren't "grabbing" under those conditions. This may or may not have been a problem, but I know this has been posted before from other folks on this forum as I did some research about it at the time.

I suggest you search this forum for more info on the NAV. Personally, I know if my computer is acting wonky (and it's been turned on for awhile) the best remedy is a reboot. I don't see how this would harm things if your were to do the same. But then again, better safe than sorry.

For those of you tempted to flame back because of paragraph #2, don't bother- the Prius is a nice car, just didn't fit what was needed. I was tempted to keep it for myself, but still have my all wheel drive Passat because I need to get up our driveway too!

Good luck with your quest; let me know how you make out!

-Matt