1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

malorn and desync on why America needs Assault Rifles

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by livelychick, Feb 22, 2007.

1. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here you go, boys. Have at it.

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 22 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]394597[/snapback]</div>
    I am far from a "gun nut", but the second amendment was put into place to allow the citizens the ability to protect themselves from their government. If you can ban "assault rifles" why can't you ban any rifle? And then handguns and then all guns. I have a feeling that is what you would be after anyways.

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Our founding Fathers set it up this way, as to prevent us from being ruled under tyranny like we were before we came here.

It's in the Constitution. Contrary to what you believe because of what lies have been told to you, we are a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC.. not a Democracy.

The Constitution was written in order to protect our God-given rights.

"As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow-citizens, the people are confirmed by the next article in their right to keep and bear their private arms. "
    --James Madison, 1798

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, and this without any qualification as to their condition or degree, as is the case in the British government.
    This may be considered as the true palladium of liberty... The right of self-defense is the first law of nature; in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Whenever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction."
    --St. George Tucker, 1803

"Who are the militia? are they not ourselves. Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
    --Tench Coxe, 1788

There are 3 ways the Second Amendment is usually interpreted to deny it was intended to protect an individual right to keep and bear arms:

-It protects a state's right to keep and bear arms.

-The right is individual, but limited to active militia members because the militia clause narrows the right's scope.

-The term "people" refers to the people collectively, rather than the people as individuals.

Yet 3 jurists, who were of the Founding Fathers read the Second Amendment as protecting a private, individual right to keep arms.

Instead of the "right of the people," the Amendment's drafters could have referred to the militia or active militia members, as they did in the Fifth Amendment, had they meant to restrict the right.

The only interpretation that complies with all of the evidence from the Founding period is the one interpreting the Second Amendment as protecting an individual right for a collective purpose. The militia clause and the right to keep and bear arms were intended to be complementary.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    --Thomas Jefferson

"The tank, the B-52, the fighter-bomber, the state-controlled police and military are the weapons of dictatorship. The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government - and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."
    --Edward Abbey, 1979

Want anymore reasons? Or do you want to go ahead and think your judgement is better than our Founding Fathers?

4. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 22 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]394605[/snapback]</div>
    All of the quotes you supplied were written when no man, no matter how intelligent, could have foreseen the strides that would be taken in gun manufacturing in the 20th century. And if a man today raises a gun to the government in an attempt to fight off tyranny (as many should have during the current tyrant's reign), he is NOT protected--rather he is either quickly jailed or put in the loony bin. So, that argument for keeping guns is voided.

I understand the Constitution. I also understand the historical context of the Constitution. I do believe that there should be a Constitutional Amendment imposing some gun control.

Your only reason to keep a gun is to protect your family? Buy a taser. Your only reason for needing a gun is that you hunt to help provide food for your family? Good for you. Buy a shotgun. Assault rifles and handguns are not needed by the general populace, and will never be legally used to "raise a militia against tyranny." This is NOT the 1700s.

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 22 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]394611[/snapback]</div>
    No I have guns to hunt, protect my family(unlikely), but also to have the ability to protect myself and my family from the government and people(livelychick?) who think they know what is best for myself and my family. Tell me what happened in Nazi Germany about 70 years ago(not the 1700's), or what is happening all over Africa every day. It won't happen to me and my family. ;) I know what is best for them not some bureacrat or do-gooder like yourself.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have to hop in on this one, Again if you take guns away from law abiding citizens. CRIME will escalate, and only the bad guys will have guns... Have you ever heard the saying dont bring a stick to a gun fight? :huh:

People are so afraid of guns, then they will have to ban knives, then sticks ect. ect.... :unsure:

Look up the statistics of how many home-owners have a gun in the house, this is what helps deter crime bad guys know the people are armed.. ;)

most bad guys must know the persons door they are kicking in to invade their home DO NOT have guns. Maybe they have a kerry bumper sticker and thats the tip off.. :lol: :lol:

My personal favorite for home defence is a 18" 12 gauge pump with staggered flechette & slug rounds >:)

You get hit with a flechette or a slug theres no turning back B)

My democrat wife hated guns and was an anti-gunner until her good friend, had some guy follow her home and rape her because she couldnt defend herself, no gun. My wife loves her 5 shot .38 she even sleeps with it when Im not home....

7. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 22 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]394619[/snapback]</div>
    But the government has tanks, bombers and fighter planes.

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 22 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]394611[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't there somewhere in Europe where they ban guns that you could go to?

Then, when they get overrun by their neighbors, us gun lovin Americans can come save your butt if it's still alive.

I'm no expert on gun laws, but my understanding is that there is a handgun ban in Chicago. I invite anyone who knows the details of that to fill us in here. I also know there are several handgun shootings every week downtown.

Apparently the gangs and people shooting each other with the guns downtown chicago are uneducated about the local laws. Maybe we need more banners around town to let them know it's illegal to have their gun, and by the way, it's illegal to shoot people with it too.

That way, once the gun carrying gangsters understand the laws, they can all come turn their guns in to the police and we can eliminate gun crime in chicago. It's just an educational misunderstanding, that's all.

Let's put pink bowes on those signs too... it would be real 'nice'.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i support having a gun. if we had the money, we'd have one. if there's a loud noise upstairs when i get home, i grab the pellet gun. i figure at least it's something.

[so far it's always been the cats knocking something over trying to get out of a mischievous act before they're caught when i get home]

but i think assault rifles are a bit overkill... seems to me like using a flame thrower to light your cigarette...

10. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wrong. It isn't "voided". If one man takes arm he will be swiftly dealt with, if hundreds of men take arms, it becomes a little more complicated.

I don't think you do. You do realize atrocities are commited in this world, everyday, just as they have for the preceding thousands of years, don't you?

A taser? Right.. so when the criminal with the gun breaks in, I can use my "taser".. You're suggesting to allow the criminals to have better self-defense than a law abiding citizen such as myself? I think not.

Shotguns are only good for hunting birds and such. Rifles are needed for other game.

Can you teach me how to read into the future like that? How do you know we won't NEED firearms? Because Big Brother will take care of you? Because you KNOW that you'll always be able to go to the Grocery store.. because you know the Government will always be "For the people" ..

I strongly suggest you pickup a history book.. as it does repeat itself.

and if you think our current Government isn't headed toward a downward spiral of greed, power, and self-serving imperialism... well... open your eyes.

11. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 22 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]394621[/snapback]</div>
    A taser would have worked just as well in that situation. I'm sorry that happened to your wife's friend.

To malorn, I'll say it again, you are totally unable to raise a gun against the government. Well, I mean you can, but you will be 1) shot, 2) imprisoned, and/or 3) put in the loony bin. That's a lame reason for guns.

And to the doc, if guns were banned, it would take a while to get them out of circulation. I'm sure there were gunfights before the ban, too.

I'll say it again. Need to protect your family? Buy a taser (which will ensure that your 6 year old won't kill another 6 year old by shooting him in the face). Do you hunt for food to supply to your family and friends? Buy a shotgun. Neither situation requires an assault rifle or handgun.

12. Loveit

Loveit New Member

Wow! I certainly can understand where everyone is coming from.

Hey Livelychick, what woud you do if someone came after your child?

13. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Feb 22 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]394625[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct. Cities with strict gun laws have the most violent crimes committed everyday, including assault, rape, and murder.

Perhaps we shall take a subjective look on why this might be? Gee, I wonder.

14. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 22 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]394603[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. And since assault rifles should be legal, why not anti-tank guns? Hell, why not tanks? Or missiles? If you take away a citizen's right to own nuclear weapons, what will the gun-grabbers take away next?

15. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ Feb 22 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]394641[/snapback]</div>
    If I had one, shoot him with a stun gun/taser. Then call the cops.

If I had none, dude would be nailed in the balls by my fist, combined with a knee to the nose when he bent over to puke, then I'd call the cops.

If it was a chick, I'd beat the ever-lovin' crap out of her, then call the cops.

Yes, I've taken self-defense courses (as I think all women should).

16. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 22 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]394638[/snapback]</div>
    You don't know jack about self-defense. Sorry. You don't.

You don't know jack about the Constitution.

You don't know jack about American History.

You don't know jack about hunting.

You don't know jack about firearms.

You don't know jack about self-resonsibility.

If your 6 year old shoots someone in the face with a gun, it's your fault. Not the guns. YOURS.

17. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there an individual or entity in the United States of America that could actually physically fend off the government with arms if the government really wanted to have its way with him/her/them?

18. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 22 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]394648[/snapback]</div>
    Talk about living in a fantasy world... I can really see it now, a girl that took a couple self defense courses is going to stop an intruder with her fists of fury and super-tazer skills. Right... :rolleyes:

19. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 22 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]394642[/snapback]</div>
    Proof? You have none. Detroit, dear Richmond VA (where I live), New Orleans, Little Rock? What are their local gun laws? Highest per capita murder rates, and I'm aware of no gun laws.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 22 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]394657[/snapback]</div>
    A taser will drop a man just as quickly as a gun. And you don't have to aim for any particular body part.
    And no, desynch, who I truly suspect is MS, I live in the real world.

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I finished reading Freakonomics about a month ago. One argument bounced around in that book is that "Guns cause Crime."

He uses Switzerland as an example where ever adult male is issued an assault rifle and is expected to keep it in their home and be proficient in its use. I have friends and coworkers in Switzerland. They tell me that it's rare but it occurs that they are sitting at the train stop and there's a guy with his rifle just sitting there the same way we would be holding an everyday object. Switzerland, by the way, has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

But that has nothing to do with our Constitutional rights. Personally, I'm a believer in the "Slippery Slope."
    I believe that if you rally to take away one constitutional right, you should be prepared to lose another one. If you are going to fight to repeal the one you hate the most, you'd better not argue when your favorite one is also taken away.

I do not believe that average Americans needs fully-automatic assault rifles with armor-piercing explosive bullets.