1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MALORN!!, To show that i have been thinking about you...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Aug 8, 2009.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota?

Aptera's not public, is it?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i want to get into a small but emerging wind or solar tech company, any suggestions?

3. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Go with PBW and ride the trend instead of gambling on one or two individual stocks.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, Jim Cramer likes Ford preferred stock (symbol varies depending on the stock site and brokerage) better than the common stock.

I actually hold some Ford preferred in my personal account and an IRA (symbols F-PS on Yahoo Finance, FPRS on Fidelity, F-S on TDAM) along w/some Ford common stock (symbol F) in an IRA.

Good luck on finding much info on preferred stocks though. I don't know why the symbol is all different either. Good thing is that Ford preferred pays you good dividends while you wait (F-PS: Historical Prices for FORD MOTOR CAP TR II - Yahoo! Finance).

Then again, some people think Cramer is a moron and that he sucks... but that's another discussion.

Honestly, I'm not the best person to ask about auto stocks. I used to have some GM and as you could imagine, I got screwed pretty badly. I have a quite a bit of Toyota and am down ~30%.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The solar stocks I hear about in the news are WAY too volatile. I wouldn't touch it unless you really thrive on volatility.

These are NOT recommendations but look at LDK, FSLR, YGE, ESLR for instance and you'll see what I mean.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In a new industry there are lots of small start-up companies. A very small number will succeed. Most will fail. Everybody thinks "I should have bought Apple way back when..." but they don't remember that Apple was just one of a hundred companies, undistinguished from the others in any way, and most of them failed.

Investing in start-up companies in a new industry is high risk. I'm not saying not to invest in them. Just don't invest money you cannot afford to lose.

7. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know Mike- I'm a developer and I have done my share of interviews.

Sounds like someone else reads Zero Hedge too :mod:

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well small startup, risky, sure that is what i am looking at. i basically invested in GM. held the stock a few weeks and made $300. so i am pocketing the $300 and will take the original $250 i started with and gamble on something else.

maybe i will just reinvest in GM while its still trading. too bad Zenn is taking so long to make me rich...wouldnt have to deal with all these complicated decisions.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mighty inconsiderate of them!

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think solar is too volatile as well. i also strongly think they are like the charge storage industry in that the technology is not mature. there is no "defined" paths right now. a lot of research going on but all in polar opposite directions which means that any investment in those types of companies is pretty much a roll of the dice.

Zenn and eestor is definitely in that category. right now, i personally think that Better Place is the only good and "reliable" investment scheme. their business model does not rely on technology at all. only a way of distribution which all technology needs. they have basically copied the highly successful cellphone industry and appear to have the money to pull it off.

i have been looking at other industries, primarily wind which i think is where we need to go. wind can be implemented nearly anywhere (91 % of the US has enough wind to ultilize a tower) the footprint is nearly infinitely scalable so can be built to fit nearly any need.

although i knew this was coming, i am totally unprepared for this. right now the market is expanding big time and the time to get in is now (actually 2 months ago would have been better). but to be honest with ya, me in my overly safe money management habits born of living paycheck to paycheck for a bigger portion of my previous life that i care not to think about, i was hesitant after buying my Pri until the dust settled.

but, i have survived, and what the hell??, gotta get the finances together for my highway EV with ultracap technology!!