1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Malorn was, of course, RIGHT!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, May 9, 2007.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Crank up the tax incentives for companies who encourage telecommuting. Give them 1% tax break on my salary for the day every day they let me work from my house.

130 miles..

Would save 2.57 gallons a day for me to leave the Prius in the garage (50.58mpg avg)... Save me $8.38 per day at $3.259/gallon

If I still had my prior F250 that would be 7.6 gallons a day saved.

Take 1 million average cars off the road a day, save 30 million miles a day, save over 1 million gallons of gas a day.

National Average salary in the $45k range is $200 a day, 1% is $2 bucks a day tax break per person for the corp... $2 million dollars.. not a lot to spend to get the useage down..

220 day work year, that's 220million gallons of gas saved, 440million taxes saved by the corps...

Ramp this all up to 5 million stay at home a day... starts to be some real gallons of gas saved..

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 10 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]439274[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you know, you could move a bit closer to where you work. You could save almost 2 gallons a day that way.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 9 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]438822[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry you see it this way; it must make life very painful for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 9 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]438822[/snapback]</div>
    Thank goodness you're not the one who makes this call.

Why bother?

You've already baited me once with your earlier post. Then, despite your clumsiness, I gave you the courtesy of a reasonably well thought-out answer...and now you're all over me, like dogsh*t on my new couch...?

Why don't you tell us **all** about it...that is, when you can come out and play again.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ May 9 2007, 06:55 PM) [snapback]438618[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect your entire argument is a strawman, based on the number of trucks I see on the road that are most surely not used in construction. Twenty years ago trucks were around half the size of today's monsters. Does anybody really think modern construction methods demand them ??

Regardless, paying a rational price for fossil fuel use in house building is not 'getting screwed', it is coming out of the cave.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ May 9 2007, 06:55 PM) [snapback]438618[/snapback]</div>
    That's not the way it works. Costs are high for vehicles / fuel in the European Community, and the contractors simply drive smaller trucks. (Unless you're talking cement delivery vehicles etc.) Or do you think U.S. contractors (and men with low self esteem) MUST continue to drive big trucks, with no possibility of considering smaller trucks an an alternative.

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 10 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]439291[/snapback]</div>
    That's not always an option.
    I know several people that drive 2 hours, each way, for work, because it is actually cheaper than trying to find housing near work (in Seattle, mostly). Most of them either use the vanpool system, or they are carpooling with one or two other people.

I live 25 miles from work. I can't live any closer, unless I sell my house and buy one that costs at least 3 times as much. But, oh, my Dear Hubby, then, would have a longer commute, as he works one mile from home. And, yes, he walks to work often.

Sometimes the best option is a longer commute... which means the best car, is a Prius :D

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 9 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]438332[/snapback]</div>
    While they have an advantage with over all companies with HSD, they probably make a ton of money one their traditional ICE's regardless what the american companies are doing. I doubt toyota's goal is to take over the world. That's halliburton's.

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

10. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jul 25 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]484748[/snapback]</div>
    Yep... and that's exactly what happened to me. Before buying the house, the wife and I rented an apartment that was central, as she worked in the East and I worked in the West. One way or another, one of us is getting screwed on the commute. Since I had a significantly-higher paying job and (what we thought was) a better future with the company and her company looks like it was going down the tubes - plus we simply LIKED the West end better anyway - that is where we elected to buy a house.

It took all of THREE MONTHS for me to get transferred back to the central/East office - which of course was not far from where we used to live. :angry: Hey, at least we can now commute together, since I would be close to her office. Then, a year or so later, a great opportunity came up for another job, that was "only" about 7 miles further than I was already driving, but also included a ~20% increase in salary and a step up for my career. So I jumped on that.

Fast forward to today and my wife is now on mat leave, so I am doing the long commute by myself... <_<

Bottom line - although it is nice to live close to work, it is not always possible, as work can always change...