1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

man, they love to tailgate a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by harry r, Nov 19, 2010.

1. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to take pictures like this:

[​IMG]

So much for 60 MPH = 6 car lengths. On a bridge without a shoulder, no less.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Whether you drive a Hummer or a Prius - Porsche or moped. Drive at or around the speed limit in any ride, and it happens. From many folk's experience, it's not just the Prius.

3. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They don't seem to tailgate me too much but I had one today. A red monstrosity Chevy (wasn't sure if it was a monstrosity class SUV or pickup) was tailgating me when I was going 45 mph in a 40 mph road (3 lanes in each direction). I was already in the slowest lane and normally don't go much above 40 on that road.

At a stoplight, when I had to start going again, for some reason he dropped way back. Eventually, he gunned it, moved over 2 lanes and blew by everyone (and saw that it was a pickup). Nobody was moving faster than ~30 mph yet (since we'd just started) and he was going at least 47, maybe 50+ mph. Funny part is, the red was a red light ahead and everyone, including him had to stop. Hahaha.

5. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here it seems like 1 of every 2 cars is a prius. I really don't notice any difference in other drivers compared to the audi. People just want to get where they are going at the speed they want and go around if they want. I think other drivers around here probably have lots of experience behind prii and don't give it a second thought.
    I try to be good about going with the flow or being in the slow lanes.

6. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree, but some get crazier when us Prii are in front of them IMO.

Yesterday I had this SUV pass me on the right very close call in cutting me off (the left hand lane next to me was free and clear). Sweet revenge was when I rolled up next to her at the next traffic light; there she was boxed in by four Prii! :D

7. ArkiePrius

ArkiePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I sometimes think that Prius actually means " See how close you can tailgate me". I don't get the same thing when I am driving my 3/4 ton pickup, whether it is imaginary or coincidence I am not sure, I don't let it bother me much any more.
    Several days ago, I was in my Prius, cruising through the hills of northern Arkansas, not much traffic on the freeway, when here comes a Jeff Gordan wantabe in one of Hyundai's larger sedans. Now I am cruising at 67 mph, he latches onto my back bumper like it is the last lap of the Daytona 500 , sits there for several miles, no other traffic to keep him from passing or anything, then he takes off like a rocket. I get a few miles up the road, the Law has him pulled over writing him a ticket:cheer2:Sweet revenge I thought as I went by and beeped my little Prius horn. But no , Jeff comes on even stronger a few miles later, passes me like I am sitting still, slow learner I guess, hope he won the race. :rockon:
    I may be a tad bit slower, but I get there much more rested than when I used to be when I too was a racer, plus not having to worry about tickets.

8. Socal Pete

Socal Pete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    True but when I'm driving the Porsche I don't experience the same level of people tailgating me as I do in the Prius. Prius = hybrid get the F*** out of my way. People think your driving the speed limit because your trying to save gas? I don't know...

9. Vege-Taco

Vege-Taco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    People don't tailgate my 1-ton PU much. :)

10. realbug

realbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's proven that if everyone on the road does that, the entire traffic would be much more smooth and move faster. People in a hurry doing WOT followed by hard brake are actually those who slow down the traffic (and lower everyone's mpg at the same time).

11. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Another couple decades and self driving cars will make smoother traffic a reality...hopefully.

12. sooperedd

sooperedd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One of my other vehicles is an '89 Suburban, lifted, 35" tires; a big truck.

People totally drive different around me in that than my Prius. they are much more "aggressive" around the Prius; tailgating, cutting off, etc.

Not once has anyone ever gone by me in the "Burb and flipped me off or yelled something at me; NOT ONCE.

I think they think: big truck, masculine guy. Prius, not masculine guy or woman.

You can see the "Burb in my avatar.

13. andrew13

andrew13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A friend of mine a few days after I got my Prius in January got a Tundra for $38k that got 17 mpg at the same dealership. I asked him why the hell he didn't get something that made sense since he doesn't go offroading or anything in it and his exact words were "but don't you know that owning a big truck adds 3 inches to your penis size". That's pretty much the mentality of every other one of these rednecks in the area too. In under 4 months I probably couldn't count the number of Ram's with trucknuts who've ridden my bumper or blew by me in a non passing zone. Anymore I get one on my tail and just say screw it and just slow down to annoy them.

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    First...you sound like a nice friend.

Second...you are one of the reasons people hate Prii.

15. Maverick Hiker

Maverick Hiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My problem isn't so much with tailgating as people cutting in front of me on the road, perhaps because they think I'll drive slowly.

If anything the "cut in" types cause me to tailgate. Because if there is not much room between me and the car in front of me, nobody will try to get into that space.

16. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Been that way in every car I've driven in any big city

17. andrew13

andrew13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I usually drive 8 over anywhere I go, I've been told by family friends who are in the state police they won't pull you over for that, except school/work zones. So if that's not fast enough for them, too bad I'll slow down to the limit or a bit under it.

As for my friend, you'd have to know him. Nothing he does makes sense. He's text me about every weekend since baseball season started wanting me to drive to Pittsburgh/Altoona/Erie/Cleveland to go to games since his truck would suck down too much gas... good for me at least get free tickets and some gas $ :D

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I said this already but it's buried somewhere deep in this thread. There is a simple solution:

If the guy is tailgating you - and I mean REALLY tailgating, not like "leaving a little space" - and you can tell that he's a douchebag. You know, sunglasses, half of a goatee, one hand on the steering wheel at 12oclock, then keeping your foot on the gas, with your left foot, press the BRAKE!

You wouldn't believe how much this pisses them off AND gets them off your nice person. They have to slow down (unnecessarily), you speed up. It's a win.

19. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    last weekend we had a driver come up on the back of our prius, he stayed there for 5 minutes ,beeping his horn ,giving me the finger, so i did what anyone would do and slammed on the brakes, got out of my car and ran after him, i am so tired of these prius haters, well that was the last time this will happen, we sold the prius and bought a volt, now i get thumbs up why, what kind of assholes are out there for were a car pisses people off, ill never understand this, if i didnt sell the car i would of ended up in jail at some point ,for as i do carry a hand gun, just dont understand these people

20. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    um...actually no one I know would do that...ever

from the sounds of it based on other posts I've seen...maybe people in NY aren't quite as friendly in the midwest

I just feel like ANYTHING stupid or disrespectful we do in return will only strengthen most of these people's resolve. Plus I believe you will sleep better at night if you don't let other people's driving get the best of you...or the worst in this case.