1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

man, they love to tailgate a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by harry r, Nov 19, 2010.

1. jstraw20

jstraw20 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, although I've been tailgated a few times over the last few months I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that I'm driving a Prius. There are type A "me firsters" everywhere and they're going to tailgate/weave/cut people off no matter what the traffic conditions or the type of vehicle.

In fact, the closest tailgating incident I've had in the last 6 months just happened yesterday. I looked in the rearview and there was a Ford Explorer no more than 4 feet from my rear bumper. This was while I was doing around 40 in a 30 mph zone. I just let off the gas and started coasting to an already red light.

And I wasn't in my Prius, I was driving my wife's Xtrerra.

2. harry r

harry r slowly turning green

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well Edthefox, thats my whole point. i was in rush hour traffic all around me. He was on my nice person and got impatient and passed me in on coming traffic and stoppedin front of me after he almost side swipped me. I wanted to get out but with my luck, i would have been hit by a car. at the very least I would have looked like the aggressor. when he finally going and pulled to the right for the entrance ramp. he looked at me and waved me on to him, as if to follow and he smiled and drove off.

3. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

I think it is "me only" as well as "me first." Total lack of consideration or compassion for others. I was raised differently. I saw a while back that in Germany they have police placed on some overpasses and do ticket tailgaters, as well as for giving someone the kma salute etc. Police state? Well if the people can't behave what else to do? I have nothing really against Suburbans etc as they are needed sometimes and it is a free country. But I have not seen ONE large SUV going the speed limit in many recent trips on the 101 in CA. They are very numerous here, and always seem to be in the fast lane on top of someone. Also very rarely see a CHP except on holidays. If I had a large SUV I would be in the right hand lane going about 55.

4. elevatus

elevatus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree, we are battling a bit of a stigma, so it sucks to have people riding our a$$es all the time. It happens to me a lot and I have only owned my 2010 for like 3 months...and we own a Highlander Hybrid as well.

I haven't had a chance to read all through the other responses but I do want to say to the community that if you want to try and drive around towards the lower part of the "eco" spectrum for most of the day (or anywhere near the left lane of the freeway), it is seriously lame and you are creating a bad rap for the rest of us.

Do it on your own time when no one is behind you. If you are driving around in regular traffic, then you need to accelerate, "make the lights" and let people get on with their lives.

1 person likes this.
  5. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

sorry I'm not going to just ignore them, its a safety issue to me -

what am I supposed to do if someone pulls in front of me or something runs out in front of me??? run over them becuz some idiot is right on my butt!?!?!?

Someone has to teach these idiots NOT to do this or someone will get hurt and I try my best to SAFELY do so...by slowly lowering my speed or tapping the brakes and lighting up those super bright LED tail lamps

6. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where you live, I guess

I'm lucky to drive in Northern Virginia, I guess, where there are a LOT of Priuses and other hybrids. Though another key is to go with the flow of traffic, particularly if you would be the bottleneck.

I pass WAY more than I am passed, but I still get a year-round average of 48 MPG (actual, not computer), which is worth having a Prius for.

I also echo bwilson4web's advice to use other vehicles as cover, avoiding falling gravel, of course.

When I pull away from a light, I never have someone on my butt. If the person behind me is slower and I'm opening a gap, I ease off, if not, I'm not the laggard. You can accelerate firmly and still get good mileage, if you're dynamic in doing so.

In heavy traffic, no need to let huge gaps open up in front of you, if that's the problem. You can watch the traffic and surge/coast as the traffic naturally does. I have to admit that it angers me to see some non-hybrid "hypermiler" let 20 car gaps open up in front of them in heavy traffic: let's turn a 2-mile-backup into a 6-mile-backup, eh?

7. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to say I get tailgated more in the Prius than my old RSX. Thing is, that car had such a stiff suspension that I had to drive slowly on the crappy city streets here lest I rattle the teeth out of my skull--so I'm usually driving faster in the Prius! Strange psychology--I've seen it in reverse, too--a Corvette putzing along at the speed limit (probably due to having gotten so many tickets) and *no one* wants to pass.

I just try to think of all the times that people are nice--which, really, is most of the time. It's just the jerks you remember.

8. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nobody has the right to jeopardize your life! I have and will contunue to slow down to a crawl if necessary until they cry uncle! If they want a fight they will get it.

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying you have concealed gun permit?

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Where you live, I guess

That has been my experience in Northern California, primarily the Sacramento and Bay Areas. A Prius is just another common car here.

Prii drivers here also don't tend to be traffic obstructions.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make love not war.... ;)

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The few times I've slowed down a bunch, the tailgater guns it around my left....they would have saved time if they looked more than two car lengths and gently passed to start with. ;)

Tapping the emergency flashers in advance usually works and is less confrontational.

14. harry r

harry r slowly turning green

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    got my in car camera and boy is it small. gonna install it this weekend and post a few photos if anyone is interested.

15. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Errr, we'd be able to do away with AHOLE laws like a national 55 speed limit implemented by sniveling control freaks.

16. Octane

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, it's the GOP. I live in one of the safest democratic gerrymandered districts in the world. The town adjacent to me is so perfect an manicured and controlled as it was built by Disney to look like one of their idealistic main streets. Yet, these DEMOCRATIC aholes drive every 4wd boat you can envision when there is absolutely no need to. And of course, they tailgate Prius's like it's the last one they are likely to see in their lives so they may as well have one last shot at it.

Democrats are the most hypocritical, self righteous individuals that grace the planet.

And whatever you want to characterize Woosley as, he's still a democrat which is the party of Nazi-esque social control.

1 person likes this.
  17. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On this gray, drizzly Thanksgiving Day in Merlin, one of the things I give
    thanks for is the possibility that the two preceding posts will be deleted
    as being inappropriate in the open forums...

and that this post deleted as being unnecessary.

:focus:

2 people like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure how that follows. i'm happy to drive whatever the speed limit is, and i have my own opinions about what they should be. but i don't see how people driving way over the speed limit has had any effect on the laws.:confused:

19. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    AMEN, Bro.

20. Octane

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without any doubt the MASS refusal for years to obey a national 55 MPH speed limit led to its death.

Resistance to unjust laws and regulations are as American as Henry David Thoreau and Walden.