1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Managing Phone Contacts

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bevhoward, Nov 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    What is the best way to manage, import, etc contacts?

I have over 600 contacts in my phone, but there are only 25 or so that I want in the car and fumbling through 600+ to find a specific one is absurd. (Took me a while just to figure out how to delete all contacts)

The best option (which is terrible) is to "select all" then go through and unselect the ones I want to keep and then execute "delete"

There _must_ be a better way!

Is there any way to import a specific set of contacts?

Any tips?
    Beverly Howard

2. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Success... it ain't easy or obvious, but it can be done.

I'm making notes and need to go through the process a couple of times because it's not clear.

If anyone else is interested, I'll post details once the process is clear.

Now... on to the address book

Beverly Howard

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This does not answer your question about contact import/delete, but have you ever tried Voice Command, "Dial <name>"? It will display a list of contacts that match <name> and allow you to refine to the one you want, all by voice...

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'd be a bit skeptical that your problem really is "fixed" permanently.

Doesn't the "car" automatically read the entire contents of the directory and address book from the phone occasionally ?
    Like every time it is re-connected ?
    Maybe not.

5. chrisky

chrisky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I am not sure, but can you not create a favorites list with just the contacts you want?

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know.
    I never EVER place an outgoing call when driving.......by any means.
    I turn on the bluetooth link only so I can answer calls "hands free" if someone calls who I recognize.

7. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Well, it's been 9 months since I promised to post the details on how I was able to add only a specific selections to the Prius' contacts storage... the best laid plans of mice and men...

I kept notes, but it turns out that I didn't do a good job of note taking, so, when the contacts on the Prius vanished and I tried to upload the same set again yesterday, I didn't know that hours of frustration were ahead.

I figured it out and made much better notes and will post them in a new thread as an "article" since Toyota does not make it easy to figure out how to do it. I'll post a link to the thread here when I finish editing.

In the mean time, I discovered that while I can access the edited uploaded contacts list when my phone is connected, my wife cannot access the contacts when her phone is connected.

The screen message shown below seems to indicate that it is possible to grant her "permission" to access the contacts but there is no information on the menus nor in the user manual that I can find that explains how to "grant permission" Anyone have any Ideas? (I'd really like to maintain just one set of contacts in the car)

Thanks in advance,
    Beverly Howard

ContactPermission.jpg

Attached Files:

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's been years since I've used Android, but from the looks of the picture, it appears that you may need to allow phonebook access on your phone. The operative phrase being "on your phone." Wouldn't that be in your phone's settings? Probably some kind of privacy setting?

9. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On my Android phone, the referenced permissions are under Settings/Connected Devices. Click on the gear on the Bluetooth connection for the Prime, and set the permissions. One of the permissions is "Contact Sharing"

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately, those options are exactly what I am trying to avoid... with almost 1,000 contacts on my phone and the prius determined to import every single one of them, they would be unmanageable using the toyota interface.

So, I finally figured out how to get just the contacts that I wanted available in the car from my phone, but, my wife's phone was paired, the prius wanted to upload her 500+ contacts as well which I had finally learned how to prevent.

I had imported 50+ contacts from my phone for my use, but then I discovered that when her phone was in use, the prius doesn't allow her phone to access my contacts list. (I know we are odd, ...we don't have secrets that we need to hide from each other)

So, again, the toyota software department has again succeeded in assuring that use unwashed owners can't get there from here... <sigh>

Beverly Howard

11. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE