1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mandatory Backup Cameras by 2014?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by DataWrangler, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't worry about it. When I first joined PriusChat, several of my posts were moved out of the Prius and Hybrid News forum and into other forums and one of the moderators sent me a friendly message explaining it to me. I had to learn to. I am not perfect (well, at least 1/n as n goes to infinity not perfect :D )

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that's all I needed :)

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope this doesn't get up!
    I hate reverse cameras, they are a useless distraction most of the time!

4. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had to pick I'd go with a backup camera over a back up sensor anytime. There are times when I park there's less than 6 inchs between me and the guy in infront of or in back of me. Last thing I need is some stupid beep-beep-beep telling me there is something too close to me when parking. My FIL has a Buick tank with a backup sensor and when ever he visits we have to shut off the sensor alarm because we know we're close to the other car but that's parking in the big city.

5. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd have to see that technology in action before I make any kind of judgement, but yes, essentially. I think the more aids we have - without actually taking control of the vehicle - the less accidents there will be.

A backup camera would be a good first step in this particular process before moving into things like mandatory sonar or intelligent imaging.

This makes me think of HUDs built into the glass of the car. Way in the future, technology could make the display follow your view around so you don't ever have to look away from the road...

Although at that point we may have magical force fields or what-not.

I was trying to say something similar to this earlier, but I think you hit the perspective much better than I did. The only different I would point out is that the cost change is so marginal (unless high end "fully loaded" packages included $1,000 dollar cameras) most people won't complain.

As I always say about accidents, 1 accident is too much if you are the 1. :cool:

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems to me it's offering a dubious increase in safety due to a few poor events, but in society these days it's as if anything is ok "if it's for the children". I haven't followed the numbers; I don't know how much a backup camera actually helps and I sure hope any law compelling them is not based on simply "probably"'s. I hope they have some hard numbers, but I doubt it.

I bet there would be a better benefit to forcing all cars to have electronic stability control.

7. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree and disagree with you at the same time; I believe that any safety feature that doesn't cost too much is worth it, even if the lives saved are minimal. Especially if the feature has other benefits, as is the case with the backup camera.

At the same time I agree that laws could be made to put features in cars that definitely provide better safety than just backing up. I definitely agree about the stability control.

I'd also like to add that in some areas this would be waaay more helpful, as Ryanpl pointed out.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the bigger question is.. why are the children playing in the driveway? (particularly toddlers.. aren't they supposed to be in the house?)

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    Because of the poor rear visibility in the prius I put in my own back up camera. But these things should be added at low cost because of competition and the lower cost of the technology.

I don't believe the government mandating everyone needing to buy one with is new car really is going to make us safer. There are tragedies that get all these safety regulations passed, but these are written by lawyers not safety experts. I would be surprised if they do much to make the fleet more safe, only more expensive. But in the case of the prius Toyota should provide a camera as a low cost option as they do in Canada.

10. SDP40F501

SDP40F501 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad I have the rear view camera, it makes parallel parking in a tight urban environment much easier when I can see just how close I'm getting to the car behind me. Still, it's no panacea, there are plenty of times when glare from snow or direct sun washes out the screen.

I agree the camera should be a low-cost option for the Prius, as with other vehicles with impaired rear visibility, rather than buttoning them into high cost packages. The bottom line is vehicle design, so that drivers can see adequately all around the vehicle, and maybe that should be addressed by Congress. I've recently been researching small SUVs/CUVs (God help me) for a second car as our needs have changed somewhat, and some of those vehicles shouldn't be allowed on the road with their squished back ends, wide rear pillars, high head rests and micro rear windows! I read one online review of a US-manufactured SUV where the rear 3/4 visibility was described as "truly appalling"! Wow! Never read that in any car review before, and yet these vehicles are on the road, merging, changing lanes on freeways and pulling out of parking spots. Back-up cameras are of no use in those circumstances. :eek:

Jim

11. DataWrangler

DataWrangler Prius Owner (finally!)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

12. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    The cost is not just the camera - but the LCD on the dash. So it will be much more than the $10 the camera costs.

Not that I care - I'm sure I'll be getting nav & backup camera on all cars I buy in the future.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Already done in 2007.
    Electronic Stability Control to be mandatory by 2012

When i am 'angle in' parked next to some slab sided SUV, my backup camera can see if I am safe way before I can see past the SUV with my eyes.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gentex offer an auto-dimming mirror with camera display capability. That's what we're using on Canadian cars equipped with a backup camera and no nav.

15. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know I am sort of repeating myself, but I still say any viability increase on any vehicle is a good idea. I am not sure it should be a law, but anything that helps prevent accidents... even if it is just one accident that's someone life saved.

16. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Society is packed with ways to "save just one life", but it's impossible to put all such measures in place. We always make judgement on whether something is worth actually putting in place to save lives.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  18. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the idea of backup cameras being standard on all cars. What I hate is that it took the US Government, far from being a leader in innovation, to push these greedy companies into installing such an obviously-needed safety feature. What I'm sick of most is the "We'll make vehicles SO much more expensive" crap. It's a piece of equipment that costs about $80 at Best Buy. I was sad to hear Volvo going bankrupt because it seems like no company is putting any effort into leading the world of safety. Today with the average sedan, it's all about cramming the longest list of features, getting the highest HIGHWAY MPG, and squeezing the most horsepower out of the engine as if these 40-something, college educated people are going to tear the road up in their Camry or Accord. Volvo once had a motto that poked fun at its audience that went something like, "We know that you drive a Volvo because there's more to life than a Volvo."