1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mando Struts for Gen 3 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Michael Wood, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    There aren't many reviews on Mando aftermarket struts. Mando is new to the aftermarket business. They are the Korean OEM strut manufacturer for Hyundai, Kia, and more recently Volkswagen.

I decided to give Mando a try on my 2015 Prius. I bought the struts (complete assemblies - spring, strut, mount, bellows) at Rockauto for $129 each. About 1/3 less expensive than KYB.

They were packaged up nice. Both fit and finish were perfect. I weighed the complete assemblies of both the new Mandos and original KYB's with 163,000 miles on them. The Mandos were just slightly heavier, and have beefier springs - pics attached.

I also replace the sway bar links with new Mevotech's with grease fitting. They were twice as heavy as the OEM links, much better built.

The ride is fantastic - feels like a new car again. We'll see how they hold up. So far I'm very happy with both Mando and Mevotech.

Attached Files:

#1 Michael Wood, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    Ryan Will likes this.
  2. Ryan Will

Ryan Will Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello!

I'm just curious if there's any updates on how the Mando struts have been treating you. I've been looking into them as well and just curious how they've been longer term.

Thanks!

3. Helveticus

Helveticus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just replaced my struts with KYB struts plus ($480 Amazon). Was hoping all the negative reviews was due to improper installation and/or other suspension components gone bad. Nope, these KYB struts plus are defective. I've replaced control arms, ball joints, stabilizer links, bushings and tie rod ends. And I double checked torque settings but the struts still makes a "springy" noise. Plus, the ride feels marginally better than the old struts.

Never heard of Mando but glad they worked out for you. Think I'll go with Monroes...

Ryan Will likes this.
  4. Michael Wood

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm really happy with the Mando struts. No complaints at all. I'd definitely buy them again.

Ryan Will likes this.
  5. Sangyeoul Bae

Sangyeoul Bae New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where did you get the Mando struts?

6. Michael Wood

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Rockauto.com

7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Does this noise occur when you turn the steering wheel? If so it's your torrington bearings making noise You didn't open them and regrease them.

KYB sold on Amazon is probably Chinese imitation. Never buy anything on Amazon

Only thing worse than Chinese junk is Monroe

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Do you have any specifications on these shocks? Like are they digressive how are they valved Do they have a nitrogen charge etc? Do you know what the spring rates are? I have a lot of questions on the aftermarket stuff. Any spec sheet?

9. Michael Wood

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I agree. Avoid Monroe at all costs - even their premium stuff is junk. I took a chance on their OE Spectrum rear shocks - how tough can it be to make a quality shock absorber for a company with 100 years experience. I regretted my decision.

douglasjre likes this.