1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Manhood Challenged - Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by coach81, Sep 23, 2010.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Real men do drive Prius' because they don't need a certain car to make them feel or appear macho.

Real men are willing to adopt the technology in the Prius that is paving the way to the future of automobiles.

Real men are cognizant that the earth's resources are not infinite and that we might be causing some change to the environment and that the Prius obviously treads quite a bit lighter on the planet than the average car.

:)

1 person likes this.
  2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That was true for me. This might sound corny, but I kinda felt honored to drive the 'future of cars', a Prius, in my first test drive. I had no idea I would be so excited to experience it.

So, maybe they need not judge the book by its cover and try one out. A Camry hybrid would work well too. Just show them a good full hybrid.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree. If your wife really is telling you that, I suggest either
    - Divorce her since she's shallow and image-obsessed.
    - Take the hint that she wants you to "be a man" so take control, make a decision and get the Prius (after some very manly negotiating since you should be able to get a very good price right now).

4. theloop82

theloop82 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I work construction, so when I pull my tools out of my Prius (or out of my XB i had before it) I will inevitably get a rash of $#*! from whatever other meatheads are working on the site. I have found that if you can explain how awesome the engineering behind the car is without boring the hell out of them in a short amount of time, about half of them come away from it appreciating the car, even if they arent rushing to trade in their F-350 Overcompensator Edition.

The other half... F*** em'. Tell them your secure in your manhood. Or if you really want to rain on their parade, find out what they drive, research why it sucks, and then come to them the next day and say something like "So has the transmission in your XXXXXXXX grenaded yet? I had a buddy that had one of those and it was a total P.O.S.... Your a moron for not buying (Competitors vehicle)" Seeing as they probably bought it cause it had shiny rims and loud exhaust, most will shut up at this point after they realize you are more informed than they are.

2 people like this.
  5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think most people who are hostile to the Prius are actually afraid of it. It looks different, it runs different, it's more efficient than other vehicles. Knowing that the choice you made is not as good as the choice you could have made is hard to swallow. Thus it is natural to try to disprove to yourself (and everybody around) that it's all a lie.

Here in Silicon Valley I've never experienced hostility toward my Prius. Most people simply don't care. Among those who even notice a Prius, the general reaction ranges from curiosity to approval. Occasionally there is a comment about a Prius driver hypermiling on a freeway onramp, but that's about the driver, not the car. And I agree - don't hypermile the onramp in front of me!

Most of the hostile perceptions about the Prius are simply wrong. The battery doesn't cost $4000 and have to be replaced every 2 years. The power is certainly adequate, and actually stronger off the line than most similar vehicles. If you want to talk about real problems, talk about the inverter coolant pump being a service headache, or the HID headlights that cost a fortune and go out prematurely. Or the cost of keyfobs. There are problems, but the ones that get thrown at you are just totally off the mark. On the 2010, the backup beeper is frequently a nightmare to get disabled, when in fact it is a trivial modification for a dealer with a clue.

Most issues about the Prius can be overcome with education. It's new (after all, it's only been around for 10 years), and people just don't know about it. Have your wife take a ride in one. Check out the back seat, and the trunk space. Talk about how it uses half the gasoline of any similar car. Ask her what she thinks about it, and try to provide accurate information about her concerns. The shape grows on you, and is part of the reason that the mileage is so good.

3 people like this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Rent a Prius for a couple of days, perhaps a weekend so you and the family can take a weekender trip. If they don't like it, fine, it won't be based upon ignorance.

Bob Wilson

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know what, I changed my mind. While everyone here convinces you to buy it, Im going to say that you shouldn't get a Prius. You definitely don't sound man enough. Isn't that te answer you were looking for?

2 people like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wished I thought of this first but it is consistent with another posting in the Gen I area this past week. If someone comes claiming their significant other objects, agree with the significant other.

When they bring in a relationship . . . one that sounds like a train wreck . . . by a 3d party not here . . . we need to 'wish them luck' and go else where. They have bigger problems beyond the scope . . . of car they dream to own. Just sing them off in a Devo style by the muse of Jagger and Richards:
    If someone comes here seeking technical information, the facts and data, piece of cake. We've got them in extreme detail with a lot of backup. But the OP "can't get no satisfaction" regardless of what we suggest.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  9. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why listen to the ones screaming you're not manly driving a Prius?

They need therapy - do you?

10. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guys, the OP is obviously caught in a difficult situation so please don't add to his anguish by insulting him anymore.

Even though I was laughing when I posted the first suggestion but it was no joke. I think it is the best solution suggested ever in this thread. He get to actually "own" a Prius he likes; he get to please his wife and in subtle "revenge" calling her a "you-know-what"; and after a while when she really enjoy driving the Prius she might change her mind about "allowing" him to drive it, and might even suggest to him to buy another one for himself.

To the OP: manhood is not defined by what car you drive, it is defined by how you can handle tough situations and still gets what you want with everybody happy. When it's WIN-WIN, you da man!

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You're right and I checked his posting history. In March he was hangin' around the Gen I forums. The Gen I Prius looks pretty close to a Ford Focus and with a little rebadging magic, could be a stealth hybrid. The problem is used NHW11s with significant warranties are rare, not impossible, but next year, even low mileage 2003 Prius will have reached 8 years.

Maybe the right answer is a different hybrid:

• Ford Escape hybrid - Ford just released an upgraded Escape but I test drove the first generation and it is right, proper hybrid. A lot of them should be traded in and if you follow Ebay, you can probably pick one up with significant traction battery warranty remaining. You could 'debadge' the hybrid and 'man it up' with surfcasting rod holders and a front wench. Don't forget to add a tow bar which the Ford Escape can handle. Then slip on some low rolling resistance, 'street' tires, strip off the roof rack and you'll have a vehicle that should easily achieve 30+ MPG while looking as butch as you want. Heck, a little body damage, dent or scrape would complete the illusion.
    • Ford Fusion hybrid - new, it won't be cheap but it is a dandy hybrid sedan and the Camry hybrid would be another alternative and available on the used market. For price-performance, starting with a nice used hybrid that looks like an ordinary sedan, this would be an easy way to reduce risk and sample what is going on. You know, a 'closet hybrid.'
    The original poster has options and if going explicitly hybrid doesn't work, go stealth hybrid. Although not a car I could use, Civic hybrids look pretty much like the gassers and are available used.

The OP is from the south and I know there are communities where peer pressure is pretty intimidating. We know there have been strong willed, independents who can handle it but if someone's paycheck comes from those who set 'community standards,' it could be rough.

Bob Wilson

12. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Real men care about the environment.

Buy what YOU want.

1 person likes this.
  13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So true. But you know, I wasn't joking at all when I said the OP shouldn't get one. His intentions seem good but his manners are capricious. He will question his decision everytime a fast car passes him on the road, maybe even everytime he looks at his wife. Family comes first, it's just a car. If he doesn't buy the car someone else will. The world will still be greener.

I knew I would be proud to drive a Prius before I even bought one, and that's carried me through anymosity or ignorance towards the car. I don't think this guy could say the same, so again I advise, stay away. GLTY.

14. tamsden

tamsden New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We just bought a 2010 V Prius last week (loving it!) and it was suppose to be MY car since my office is moving and my commute will double. I have only been able to drive it 1 day because the men in my life love it so much. I had to drag them to the dealer but now I can't get it away from them! We drove it off the lot last Tuesday with 77 miles and have over 1,600 on it so far already - I think we were definitely due!

My Men are my Hubby and 16/19 year old sons.

15. MattL

MattL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought one "for my wife" (it was my idea - she wanted an Acura...LOL) and took over her car because she drives much more that I do. But now the morning conversation always includes...How much are you driving today and who gets to take the Prius today.

It is also now our "family car" that we all like to take when going out together.

Our almost 10 year is also a "car guy" and thought the Prius was "stupid" when we went to look at them. Now he loves it!

16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting....my brother is 16 years old and abhors the Prius, even though my family owns two (one that I bought). He is a fool though.
    So where do kids get these ideas? The answer is from their friends at school, who get it from their parents. It's pathetic.
    My kid neighbor (also a high schooler now) wanted a Prius a few years ago when he first saw one. Now I hear he wants a Mustang. Perceptions change when people talk to their friends. You’re witnessing it with your very eyes reading this thread: It happens even at the adult age.

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have to agree with this. If your testicles are so small that you have to have your wife approve of your car, you don't deserve a Prius. Maybe a powder pink VW Bug is more along the lines of what you should be driving.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great response, and agree totally.

19. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anyone else noticed that coach81 hasn't posted since the
    Original Post?

It doesn't appear that he is interested in holding a dialog here
    even though he is active on other forums. :typing:

Info gleaned from the Internet on a "coach81" from Louisiana,
    who says he was interested in a Prius before being disuaded by
    spouse/friends in early September:
    High school football coach (Currently, 5-1 season record :cheer2:)
    ~40 yrs old
    2nd job?: Fitness coach/instructor
    Two vehicles; Tacoma pickup and a Saturn
    Married, two sons
    Big fan of Disney theme parks.

Sounds like an average Joe, maybe in midlife uncertainty.

At any rate, this looks like a cold case to me.

3 people like this.
  20. praecurvo

praecurvo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1. Just be a man and buy one.
    2. A man makes his decisions and lives by them.
    3. Real men do what thay want to do!
    aaron