1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Manhood Challenged - Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by coach81, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I get over 60mpgs. Really, no bull. Have been for most of the Summer.

I thought of making some sign up for the rear window, to post my weekly average...but then I thought that might piss-off some of the "manly" drivers in trucks. So I decided to drive in quiet solitude...and keep my MPGs to myself. ;)

When I fill up every two weeks, and I look at the cost - right around $26 - I say to myself, "it's all good". :rockon:

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My reasons for buying? I don't like supporting both sides of the war on terrorists. Why should we willingly support the economy of OPEC, which is mostly unstable and unfriendly countries. When I bought the Prius most of the conversation seemed to be about supporting domestic cars, so my response at the time was, I'd rather send money to Japan than to OPEC.

It's also a financial consideration - it's a reliable car that will save money long-term when gas prices start their inevitable climb back up.

The hatchback design lets you carry things that you would expect to only fit in a much bigger vehicle - like 8' 2x10 lumber, or a 46" flat screen TV in the box, lying flat (neither would fit in my wife's Accord).

There's also the survivalist/protector aspect - I don't know if you live on the coast in Louisiana, but if you're part of a hurricane evacuation, you can go for hours in creeping traffic without running out of fuel like the people driving the Chevy Subdivision would do. (There's some old threads on this from Hurricane Rita I think it was). (I can get to some land I have in MN, 600 miles away, on a single tank of a gas if I really needed to be able to do that). And if you buy an inverter, in the range of 500-800 watts AC, you can power the important things in your house when the power goes out, without the need for a noisy generator. You just wire that in to the 12V battery (some people go over 1 KW, but that requires extra electrical knowledge and/or tapping into the main drive battery).

Finally, I would recommend a manly license plate, like the one on a local Prius I saw: "F OPEC".

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seriously, how many of you dudes felt like driving a Prius was like doing this?

[​IMG]

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Plastic tape?

Warning: the adhesive may remain if the tape is taken off . . . perhaps a little longer lasting than expected.

Bob Wilson

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Don't you mean "resent?" :confused:

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You've never heard that intentional freudian slip?? :huh:

7. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, real men ride horses!

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I liked the f you bumper sticker but it's a bit too risque for me. If my wife wasn't the main driver of the Prius (I drive a Super charged and turbo charged muscle car with NRA and hunting stickers on it. I put a hitch on it just so I could hang those testicles from the receiver on the back. License plate is HUGEONES), I'd get this:

I Love Haters Sticker (Bumper) - CafePress

9. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So just to add a bit more fuel (as if we needed any) to the fire:

This evening I went ride to the local Toyota dealership.. just to go take a peek at the Prius V, sit in it.. etc..

One of the salesmen knew me, and of course acted like he was thirlled to see me.. He asked me what I was looking for.. I said I want to check out the Prius..

He kinda chuckled, then said.. "Nah.. not you, Coach, how 'bout we go check out a Tundra!"

Honestly.. that is what he said.. but if you could have seen his facial expression when I said "Prius".. it spoke even louder!

So he RELUCTANTLY brought me to the V in the showroom, and let me sit in it.. and tried to tell me a few good things about it.. but then he just could not help himself.. he said "This thing is kinda geekie or GIRLIE, don't you think, Coach?"

I immediately thought of my main man.. Mike V.. and thought.. what would Mike say to this guy right now???

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it was a make-your-own item. Consider it a business opportunity.

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On the believability scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being something a politician said and 10 being something you know to be absolutely true, I'd rate that a 1.5.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Coach walks into dealership. $ale$man$ eye$ fla$h dollar $ing$ a$ he fore$ee$ a highly profitable truck $ale.

Coach asks for a car. :eek: Any car, it doesn't matter, very few cars carry the profit margins of a truck, so his boat payment just vanished. It is his duty to his own paycheck, and to his employer, to attempt an upsell to the truck if he thinks the customer can afford it and might take the bait.

Last year the Prius was even less profitable than a regular car because Toyota opened with a hardball price war against Honda. Toyota raised MSRP once they learned that the Insight-II was hardly any competition, but I don't know whether average selling price and profit margin have gone up at all.

While the salescritter may impugn your manhood, he really doesn't mean it. He just means that he thinks your wallet is bigger, and you should share more of it with him.

1 person likes this.
  14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL. I'm very shocked a Car Salesman would conduct business this way. Regardless whether he takes a smaller commission selling the Prius, he's shooting himself in the foot talking this way. Putting down the cars his own company makes?!? Maybe that is Louisiana for you, where even the car salesmen will risk a sale to take a crack at you. If this story really is true...LOL....

15. ArashSheikhpoor15

ArashSheikhpoor15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think it's girlie at all... Between me and my friends there are 8 of us who as of 2 months ago drive a prius, and these are all guys. I personally came from a Mercedes Benz clk55 and my other friends came from g35's bmw's and an escalade and honestly I like this car much more...wish you luck

16. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree! We came from a Hyundai Veracruz(yes the vehicle superior to the Lexus RX350) and could have purchased almost anything we wanted. We chose a Prius for a variety of reasons but the biggest reason was because we like it and BTW, I too want a "F*ck you I get 50 MPG!" decal!!!!!

Craig

1 person likes this.
  17. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize it is difficult to believe, but I am not stretching the truth in any way.. this is truly what happened at the dealership yesterday. I was very surprised myself.. I dare not let the wife and friends know!!!

18. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The salesman's tactic doesn't surprise me at all. When I went looking
    for my Prius in late '07, I got the "bait and switch" treatment at every
    dealer I went to. It was obvious they all were more interested in their
    sales/profit quotas than my interests/satisfaction.

Coach, did you pick up a Prius sales brochure?
    How about a test drive?

Two little mentioned reasons to buy a Prius are:
    * to get personal experience in the technologies that will become more
    and more prevalent in the future, and
    * to be a role model for others in making the change to more
    sustainable personal transportation.

For me, both were important, the latter more so. My two grown
    children scoffed at my Prius purchase. When the opportunity has come
    up, I've slipped the real world FE/MPG figures (52.5 MPG lifetime) into
    our conversations. When they replaced vehicles, one went from a
    Suburban to a Subaru, the other from a Tundra to a Vibe; rebadged
    Matrix. Not hybrids this time, but there's still hope for the next time. :rolleyes:

As to an even longer range outlook, now I'm starting to educate them
    on the benefits of an EV for their second vehicles.

Coach, you've done a remarkable job in maintaining a moderate, sensible
    position in the face of some truely outlandish responses.
    A gentleman to be sure.
    I see that you've also started a couple of information seeking threads.
    Well done indeed. Keep up the good work. Hope you do get a Prius so
    you can become a contributing, long term member.

1 person likes this.
  19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He lives in Louisianna, he is fighting an uphill battle and holding his own so far I guess ;)

I believe he had that dialog with salesman. It is a silly way to sell a car but it is plausible. I ordered from starbucks a low fat vanilla latte (this is rare, seriously, normally I drink motor oil because I am a real man and chew rocks instead of gum) a couple years ago and the kid working the counter said something like normally only women order this. He wasn't trying to be insulting, just a brainless comment to a customer.

20. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know why car salesmen like this are still in the business. I personally would (and did) avoid dealing with any salesman who's unprofessional/doesn't know their own products/gives unsolicited personal biases/bash cars of other models/brands. These guys think I'm an idiot and would listen to whatever BS they spit out. They insult my intelligence and they starve, period.

His opinion should not be any factor in your purchasing decision because his agenda is for his own good, not yours. He doesn't deserve your business so go somewhere else, even if you eventually decided to buy an SUV instead of a Prius. Better still, since you know him, show him off with your new purchase afterwards and make him feel/know he's the idiot who missed out the chance of your business.