1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

manually adjust headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tom1l21, Jun 6, 2009.

1. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How do I manually adjust headlights? I have the auto leveling sensor, however, it is broken and my dealership won't replace it. My car always passes the headlight portion of inspection with flying colors but when I drive, it is noticeably lower than they should be. They probably aim abut 10 feet in front of the car. It sucks driving at night as I cannot see past that and routinely run into potholes. I'm getting frustrated with them and just want to do it myself. Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anybody? Its getting increasingly dangerous to drive at night when there are no lights on the road.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure if the HID adjustment is the same as for halogen. I've posted in other threads the location of the adjusting star. Here is a photo, the spastic line I added

[​IMG]

There are also threads that discuss how to take apart and clean the rear axle sensor

Hope this helps

4. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the photo. I did infact take a part the sensor a little while ago, the only problem was that not only was the spring rusted out, but the other part of the sensor (the gray plastic dog bone piece) was completely missing.

Where exactly is this adjusting star?
    Do I have to remove the clear plastic covering over the headlights to get to it?

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds like the sensor is all corroded to hell, then. Might be able to scrounge one from a wrecked Prius, never hurts to ask

The adjusting star should be at the rear of the headlight housing. You do NOT take apart the headlights. They can be a little tight to get to. Not sure if the HID lamps have the adjusting collar in the same spot

This thread has deja vu to it. Here are other threads along the same topic

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/42891-headlights-aimed-too-low.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ooting/60424-how-does-one-aim-headlights.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ng/60827-prius-headlights-angled-too-low.html

Hope this helps

6. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks jayman,

I was FIIIIIIINALLY able to find both gears and adjust the headlights. Its tough though since there isn't really anything to really set them equal like say, 20 spins from some initial point. What I did was throw a cover over one headlight, shined them onto my garage from about 15 feet away at about 3.5 feet high, mark it off with some tape, then cover that one and go adjust the other one until they both matched the same tape mark. I can't tell if I adjusted them "optimally", but it makes driving at night a world of difference.

drhachey likes this.
  7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, that's the old fashioned way to adjust headlights, usually works well enough. Make sure they're not set too high, you'll know if folks start flashing you at night

I mean, if they flash their high beams at you. Not if they start personally flashing you. That's a different and exciting topic

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  8. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah I went for a test run in a densely populated area as well as this really dark road by the river and no problems so far. Is there a certain height the lights should be that gives best lighting? I think mine might be a bit high but can't really tell since they've been screwed up for so long.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  10. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    im confused where is that star for adjusting the NON HID halogen front headlights? cop gave me a warning that my left headlight was adjusted too high while the mechanic says there is no adjustment screw :S