1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Map, Guidance, and Relevancy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skguh, Sep 8, 2008.

1. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I recently drove my 2008 Touring/#6 from Alabama to Vermont (49.10 MPG over 3216 miles in 7 days). I used my destination function, mapping, etc., of the nav system.

I'm amazed at the lack of recency in the mapping. Some areas (Bennington VT, Scranton, PA, just for example) have had a bypass for YEARS that did not show up in the mapping. The guidance function provided limited options to change courses unless I deleted the current route and insisted on rural connections when it was clear that interstate was a better bet. Yes, I've set my preferences (25 city, 40 rural, 65 interstate) and yes, I adapted. I STILL carry a paper map just because I'm probably less-than-impressed with the 'navigation' system. Perhaps Mapquest, Garmin, or GoogleEarth should pay a visit to the systems?

The ride, 23 hours one way, still was comfortable, enjoyable, and exactly what I'd hoped for running up the Shanandoah Valley. Just hope the mapping functions improve with an upgrade.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mapquest uses the same mapping database as your Prius: Navteq.

I agree that it would be nice to easily reroute while driving. If your aren't moving, it's fairly easy to force a route by adding waypoints. On the other hand, the Toyota system doesn't have any method for saving these as preferred routes.

Tom

3. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When you were on the bypass did the map show that you were? Or, was the vehicle icon not following a road. If the former, you might check your routing preferences; for instance, the shortest distance route probably avoids the bypasses (not good). Also, freeways should always be the selected preference for a trip like yours.