1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

March - lamb or lion

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by vvillovv, Feb 27, 2021.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any psychics' out there want to tell me what this means?

The local weather forecast is calling for March 1 to come in like a lamb. 45 degree F at midnight on the 1st.
    It's (the forecast) is also expecting that by the end of the day Midnight March 2nd the temp will be somewhere in the teens and dropping.

Not that the above kind of weather is that unusual around these / them there parts, but February is also exiting like a lamb as temps climb out of the cryosphere Cryosphere - Wikipedia zone (new word for my day) into the mid 40's degrees F by midnight March 1st. which did kinda catch my attention, just a tad.

So my / our Primes' battery temp (according to DrPrius) should be nice and toasty warm, or at least in the 40's somewhere, early in the morning, at least. finally.

lamb or lion

#1 vvillovv, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, while Texas and other usually more temperate areas of the US have been freezing, we have had a much milder winter this season. Not much snow accumulation. Daily high temperature staying well above 0F all winter long. The coldest temperature we had this season was -21F, but we also had a high temp exceeding 32F 6 times this month including today and forecast for tomorrow. That's very unusual for us. Yeah, I am thinking of starting seedlings early this year.

upload_2021-2-27_15-40-53.png

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Around here spring seems much less consistent as temps fluctuate more between late winter and mid spring into may. It's nuts. How noticeable it is probably depends on which outdoor plants one is watching. And I know this is not by itself necessarily indicative of spring weather patterns here, my lilacs have not bloomed in April for the last 10 years, that I can remember. And when they do bloom they are not as heavy laden blooms. But, early spring blubs look to me to be coming up and blooming sooner than usual. Not by much or perhaps it's more that they tend to be blooming than snowed on much more often.

I"ve always been partial to the spring and summer seasons, probably because I was raised in a temperate area that virtually never got blistering hot and/or excessively humid.

-21^ F is 10 or 15^ colder than our coldest local temps this winter, I guess that is expected in the mountians and is probably similar to temps at N. Pole NY or at Whiteface Mtn. One of these days I hope to be able to bring the Prime to Mnt Washington and get some gauge readings and a bumper sticker for the climb to the summit... :cool:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    march came in like a lamb, but turned out to be a wolf in sheeps clothing.

yesterday's windchill was -2f, 45mph gusts, branches and trees down everywhere.

today, it's pleasant again.

we usually stay in the nyack area on our way back from florida in late march, nd the wind is almost always howling.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Parts of SoCal dropping today - from yesterday's 80°s, to maybe under 70° today ... brrrrrrr.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can't help trying to guess how march is going to go out this year. At least here where I am.. I'm also guessing that when returning to MA for FL that you bypass the i95 bend and possibly take the high road on top of the Palisades Sill, to avoid that typically nasty part of I95 through Washington Heights. My oldest sister lived in that neighborhood while she attended Hunter College. I've been over that aging bridge there in nyack many times too, but these days - if and when - I get a chance to travel south, I take as wide a berth around that area as I can manage. My hometown where I grew up got blasted during the second surge. We got hit hard here too, but our numbers are less than 1/4 what downstate saw. Per capita it was probably similar.. but how many dig into the math of population/new case as apposed to just looking at the total number of new cases like I've done. The lockdown and reopening schedules keep changing too, plus the household has an essential worker and I don't want to be catching or spreading from my inattention to prescribed safety protocols. (fingers crossed so far).

I hear there's another drought in S. Cali, but that is probably not noticed as much by residents as much as farmers in the Golden State.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we come up the njtp after the deleware bridge, then take the thruway north. last year we stayed in saddle river. what a beautiful rural area, and so close to the city. i was ready to move!
    they finally replaced the old tappan z wooden bridge with a gorgeous new suspended structure.

beauty heretoday, nearly 60!:) long range looks like 50's, more seasonable.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same temp here today too and is expected to stay in the 50 overnight and tomorrow before dropping into the below freezing zone again for another week or so. I pulled my grille block and noticed my traction pack temps up again too. I've had Dr Prius showing higher pack internal resistance the last 2 months and it looks like I got my first pic today of the internal resistance recovering, back to it's pre winter flat green turquoise for all 96 cells.
    After looking at some of my PiP gauge pics, it took me a while to sus out some of the comms and SOC's with the scan gauge. I also thought about mentioning in another thread that I used to get 12 mi EV in the dead of winter. I went out Sunday and measured 3 of the 5 most traveled routes I used to take at 13.5 , 11.5 and 9.5 was my winter max EV. I'll try to correct that in relevant posts, eventually.

I'm not good with directions or road names other than what I remember of them from the old days.

Enjoy the nice weather while it's here, I'll also try to take my own advice ;)

#8 vvillovv, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    bisco likes this.