1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maria recovery

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 1, 2017.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In this year of hurricane and recovery fatigue (for donors), might I mention one more?

Folks on the ground there tell me it's good. No doubt many others are good as well.

==
    We could make this thread to critique entire Puerto Rico/Maria efforts. But if others post about things going well there, seems better in short term.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In terms of property damage Houston area got hit the hardest and donations are able to get through. In terms of tragedy Puerto Rico is the worst in the US. Unfortunately other than some well connected folks with planes, most charities can not get aid out. Finally the US military is fully engaged, and I hope things will improve soon. The hospital ship - comfort - will finally be operating there Wednesday. In a week roads and power might be good enough for charity to help.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A few days ago, San Juan ports were full up with arrived 'containers'. Delivery bottlenecks of fuel supply for trucks, availability of drivers, and some roads still unusable. I've seen no recent updates on that. Or other seaports that might get pressed into service.

Several airports are receiving aid delivery flights.

It would be appreciated for media to update us on 'how to contribute effectively to relief now. Also to TX and FL that have been hurricaned, and to non-US islands.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A V22 Osprey is being used to drop heavy things into eroded gap to prevent Guajataca (1923 earthen) dam from collapsing.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    el presedente was videoed flipping paper towel rolls into his audience.(y)

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And I thought that was a video of a tourist tossing treats to caged bears in a zoo.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And I thought that was a video of a tourist tossing treats to bears in a zoo.

Bob Wilson

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    One photovoltaic facility, stated capable of cat 5 hurricane, survived in Puerto Rico.Another PV site and a wind turbine site will need more than bondo (TM).

Can't post photos cause PriusChat is moody.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    ...and repeaty.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Had never seen images of wind-turbine blades broken off before. To me, not entirely clear that such are well suited to big-wind country.

A PV array in Antigua survived and produced 13% of rated power during hurricane. That bit may have been written by whoever made the MPPT controllers :)

If PR is to rebuild electrical supply with large % renewable, storage will be needed. Musk makes an offer:

Elon Musk Wants to Replace Puerto Rico's Power Grid With Solar

Tangential; the Australia 100 days or it's free clock started running on Sept. 29 I have read.

Another aspect is distribution. Lots of 'poles' went down in ~150 mph Maria winds. Would seem very expense to prepare against such a future. Interestingly, lots of 'hurricane-proof' poles went down in 1998 Hurricane Georges there as well. They were reinforced concrete. Apparently they were moved around island on flatbed trucks with unforgiving suspension systems, and were made weak before even being installed.

===
    I don't suppose an E-supply system for 3.5 million people has ever been rebuilt before, with no obvious source of funding. Have really no idea how that will go.

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How Do Wind Turbines Survive Severe Storms? | Department of Energy
    Wind even if it is damaged in another hurricane is probably very cost effective on an island like puerto rico. In 2015, half the electrical infrastructure was for petroleum based generators making costs higher than every us state but hawaii. Texas gulf coast wind was threatened by harvey but only one wind farm was hurt for long, transmission lines were damaged which made texas gulf wind drop to about half capacity. Since turbines are so cost effective and odds of a hit on any one so low, replace what gets damaged is not a problem. Compare this to say fossil generator that goes underwater, costs to get back on line are much higher.

I like the idea of micro grids with diversified power - in the case of puerto rico it may be cost effective to be about 3% wind, 20% solar, 40% natural gas/bio gas, 27% from petroleum (down from 50%), 10% from coal (down from 18% today). In such a case having 5% battery may allow the gas/petroleum generators to go on and off line in their optimum way.

The details of the tesla contract with australia were not made public, but it was signed on september 29, so the clock should be ticking.
    Puerto rico's primary utility PREPA, has been mismanaged and doing poor maintenance for years, making conditions of the grid bad even without the hurricanes. It had filed for bankrupcy in July. Between the storm and mismanagement, the grid will need federal dollars if it is again going to serve 3.5 million people. Before the hurricane it was claimed it needed an aditional $4B in funds, my guess is to do this right, it will cost much more. That may require privatization, or better yet some competent people in government running it, plus a lot of federal money. I could see the Chinese donating or selling a lot of solar panels on the cheap. The US military may be needed to help clear away debris so workers can get lines back up.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "I could see the Chinese donating or selling a lot of solar panels on the cheap."@10. This is not the correct place to consider that would be considered 'dumping'.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No I was not talking about dumping. I was thinking about charity that costs the government little, but could help them both in terms of PR at very low costs. puerto rico is a good place to experiment with massive amounts of solar, because its not that massive. 20 billion kwh/year. To make 20% solar that is 4 billion kwh/year which if I am calculating correctly would need around 4 GW of solar panels. If they can build and ship for $0.50/watt that is $2B. Leave it to solar city or sun run or puerto ricans themselves to build systems and install which is the more expensive part. If it ends up costing $3/watt and the chinese government kicks in the cells, then hopefully the federal government and corporations and bank financing (these things will last for decades) can make up the other $10B. Maybe you need 1 GW of batteries too for reliability. That would be 10 times more battery cells than tesla is building with LG cells for australia. Perhaps you build 20 batteries half the size of the one for Australia and install them strategically in micro grids.
    Solar competitors band together to help bring electricity to storm-ravaged Puerto Rico

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting maria documentary on the weather channel