1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Marijuana oil -- effectiveness for health issues

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 22, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take the opioid

2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it to Boston??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well....one of the big side-effects of opioids is loss of appetite....

Besides the addiction thing.....:unsure::unsure:

[​IMG]

#42 cyberpriusII, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can only tell you my experience. appetite improved with less pain. no need to bring them here, i have my leftovers for an emergency.;)

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, Things just keep going well. Arthritis and pain is much, much lower than at any time in the last five months. The last two nights are the first in at least a year that pain didn't wake me up when I moved in the middle of the night. I'm getting out of bed easily in the morning and not having much in the way of problems all day long. It's hard to believe how quickly this has all taken place. For the time being, I'm not going to consider increasing the dose like I was just a day or two ago. The CBD seems to have built up enough in my system at 0.5 ml taken three times a day from a 500 mg bottle for the last few days.

When the weather improves I'll utilize the walking trail at the local park again (something I was doing before last fall) and hit the driving range. I've always been a golfer and I really don't want to give it up unless I have to.

It might not be for everyone but I consider the use of CBD oil a success so far in my case. For someone dealing with a lot of inflammation and pain, it's definitely worth a try when you've exhausted most other medical treatments. The worst that could happen is you're out $50 for something that didn't work for you. I would never suggest it, though, as a first choice of remedy or trying it as a means of self-medication instead of going to your family physician. It requires a lot more peer-reviewed study.

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I commend all responses. Education will make it all work. As with all things, ignorance can lead to bad things. As I originally stated, all I am for is for a way for those in need of the various forms of marijuana to be able to take them, work safely and not fear losing employment. I don't have an issue with any of the medicinal benefits of marijuana at all.

6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The whole drug testing thing.....sure you do not want impairment at the workplace, but if someone is using on their own time and it does not affect their performance.

Might get some of that from my dad. He was a 60s/70s rebel. He used to tell the tale of how he turned down a terrific job that he would have loved and that paid a substantially higher wage than he was earning in the 1980s because the company (a large utility firm) required drug tests before hiring.

My dad said he was long past his "bong days," but he just disagreed with the principle and would not work for a company like that (my mom was pretty mad at him for standing by his principles, BTW).

I have not used any of the proscribed substances for years.....but, ah...I am rambling.

Anyway, the science does not seem to support the claims I have been seeing across the web, but even if it is a placebo effect, I would take that at the moment...
    kris

7. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The science is slowly coming in but I do agree the scientific support isn't there yet. That doesn't mean it doesn't work; it just means it hasn't been scientifically proven yet.

You're right about the placebo effect. I'm seeing wild claims that CBD is a miracle drug that will cure everything that ails you. One of the latest is that it is curing some people's tinnitus. The odds are extremely high that is not the case but a few are still claiming it.

Realistically, it is understood by many medical doctors that it aids in reducing certain types ot seizures and tremors. It can help with some anxiety, a conclusion that makes sense considering the reaction back in the 60s and 70s of the Hippies mellowing out when they smoked pot. There is very limited research on using CBD for inflammation and pain but what little research there is makes me optimistic it physically helps that, too. But a miracle drug that cures all? No way, and in reality it only helps some people cope with whatever their ailment is. It "cures" nothing.

I remember when acupuncture and acupressure were just being heard of in Western society. My general practitioner at that time was one of the first MDs to go to China and study it a bit. Many people were skeptical of it (and rightly so) but when I suffered a concussion in a traffic accident he was able to use acupressure to control the headaches and vision problems resulting from it. Now it's pretty well accepted it works for various things, but not everything.

I think CBD is going to wind up being something like that.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actual research on control substances can be difficult to do, because of the required 'paperwork'.

srellim234 likes this.
  9. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's why I think we'll see good research coming out from other nations, particularly in Europe. The U.S.A. is simply too difficult to deal with on this issue.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With industrial hemp becoming 50 state legal, and work going on yeasts to spit out the oils, CBD research may start in the US.

srellim234 likes this.
  11. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As well as things are going, I'm going to mess with success and try reducing the dose a bit, and not only for financial reasons. I'm a firm believer that if you need drugs, fine, but don't take more than you need. In this case, for the last few days I've been taking the equivalent of 8 mg. per day, three times a day. Today I dropped my morning dose to 4mg. As long as I'm doing well I'll do that for a few days. Then I'll consider lowering the nighttime dose. I don't want to lower the middle of the day one because the bulk of my daily activity comes in the afternoon and early evening.

12. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For those concerned about the high expense of CBD oil, here's a tip. My daughter needed another bottle so I decided to go ahead and order one for me, too, on the same order. I went to my regular pharmacist at Walgreens and she gave me a couple of infant's oral syringes. Those are thinner and marked in smaller increments than the normal oral syringes we are used to. The ones she gave are calibrated down to 1/50th of 1ml. I then ordered two 3000mg bottles from Medterra instead of going with the 500mg bottles we had. The stronger bottle gives you six times the CBD for only three times the price. At my dosage that reduces the cost to $1 a day, half the $2 a day this first bottle cost me. Added bonus - I get a 150 day supply instead of 30 with each bottle. Very manageable.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kris sorry to hear about your accident. Cbd oil is great I have my marijuana medical card as Florida is not legal yet. I take liquid Mari at night as it gives me and everyone I know the best nights sleep I ever had.
    Wake up feeling great in the am. Didn’t really see much improvement with Cbd oil pain wise.
    Only tried it fir a month.

I do know for sure the best thing to do when in pain is stop ingesting sugar. All sugar. Sugar is a monster inflammatory agent. Cut out all soft drinks and ice tea type drinks that have large sugar content. It will change your life.
    Your body will thank you. It works.

Getting off sugar is extremely hard though as it’s in everything we eat. And most people are addicted to it.But few days later you will feel much much better. You will recover much much faster with no sugar.

I cannot comprehend being a opioid addict as it shuts down your intestinal tract. That is very painful. Today’s Vicodin sucks it’s all generic and is very Poor at mitigating pain.

Hope you feel better.

Merkey and cyberpriusII like this.
  14. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sugar is really hard to get out of the diet. My wife is a diabetic so I'm always looking at the ingredient labels and I don't cook any recipes that call for adding sugar. The only sugar I use is in the homemade bread I make for the kids. I buy some prepackaged things with a little bit of sugar in them but it's kept to a minimum. I got away from all sugared or artificially sweetened drinks about five years ago and it made some difference in my pain level at the time too.

I'm sorry the CBD didn't help with your pain levels. As stated earlier in this thread, it doesn't work for everyone and every type of pain. In less than a month, though, it's been a godsend for the arthritis pain levels in my hips and knees. I haven't needed to take even an Aleve tablet since I started the oil. Like you, I'm sleeping more soundly. Some of that is most likely the CBD and some of it is due to using a much better CPAP machine and mask at night.

It's a matter of trial and error for all of us.

15. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey ETF5

Your post gave me something to ponder regarding sugar. I lost a great deal of weight between the hospital and nursing home stays. And despite being home now for more than a month and having access to real food (no more mystery meat slathered in gravy with sides of creamed corn), still have not gained back even one pound.

But, beginning around mid-January, an aunt that used to run a very successful bakery in San Luis Obispo, CA sent a package of extremely yummy bakery sweets to me at the home. I gobbled those and since then it seems I have had an insatiable desire for sweets.
    which I have been more or less indulging, since weight gain isn't a problem. Also been downing a soft drink or two per day.

And, my pain levels are still up there (and at the moment I am craving a blueberry scone).

May need to go cold turkey on the sweet stuff and see what happens. Thanks....
    Kris

srellim234 and edthefox5 like this.
  16. will the engineer

will the engineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    the problem I am seeing is that hemp oil and CBD oil tastes exactly the same.

Sorry folks. I wouldn't be surprised that most users are just in taking hemp oil but at a premium cost

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Which is a major reason for doing your research before deciding which company's product to take. Too many fly-by-night outfits and hucksters out there.

18. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do your homework, engineer.

19. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I swear my brain is not clicking on quite the same track it used to before my December collision. I know what I WANT to say sometimes, but there is a disconnect between the mouth and the brain and I can't get the words out sometimes.

But, hopefully, that does not extend to typing....so here is my current feeling on CBD, medical marijuana, etc.

The hard research, as mentioned earlier in this thread, does NOT support 99 percent of the claims for CBD and/or medical marijuana. There are a few things, eye pressure problems, appetite, etc., that are pretty well supported.

But, if it helps -- even via placebo -- then, well -- why not. Unless, like me, you are afraid of being tested and tossed.

I sliced out a big hunk of sugar consumption a week or so ago and since then, it seems that pain levels are actually up -- but to be fair I have been pushing the physical activity pretty hard as I want to attend Easter Sunrise Services (not that I have ever been that religious, but as they say, "no atheists in foxholes").

Anyway, I know hydromorphone works pretty well, just wish I did not fear it so much -- had two girlfriends in high school that went down the addiction path and it did not end well for either of them, sorta helps to keep me on a different path.

Enough rambling....this was not the "kris' random ramblings roundup" last time I looked.
    kris

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you're already on the mm :cool: