1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Marital Status of Prius Owners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Schmika, Jan 19, 2006.

?
  1. Married -1st spouse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Married- 2nd spouse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Married- 3 or more times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Divorced

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Divorced more than once

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other estrangement

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Widow or Widower

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Single and not looking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Single and looking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. None of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

we met in a chatroom, it turned out that he was in my home town visiting friends. We had a great conversation for 2 hours (the conversation on a completly different level than most converstions I had before online, most people I talked to just wanted to know what I was wearing and if I could touch myself for them)
    He askd me for my phone number but I didn't want to give it to him. I gave him my dorm number. He called me there once and we setup a date to go out, but I stood him up. Had a friend lie to him that I forgot but I had a class I had to go to. He already drove to meet me (1hr), was standing in front of my dorm but I didn't come out, hehehe. He called next day and I apologized. We met the following weekend and had a blast. Like I said before, no rape involved :)

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is good to hear that you are not one of those people who like to blame one crappy event in their life for every other problem they have. People like that drive me a little crazy. I believe in self empowerment and you can't do that if you live in the past.

I was sorry to be away from the computer today. This thread has gotteen quite interesting.

3. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Obviously neither horn had any effect on fertility, or lack thereof :rolleyes:

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Married, 1st wife, will be 20yrs in May. We got married 6 months after we met NO PROBLEMS ever.

To add a comment to Squid's take on the gay marrage issue a couple pages back. First, RIGHT ON SQUID!!! That was the most sensible take on the issue I've ever read. The interesting thing, when I was a kid, "mixed marrages" were frowned upon, by that it was ment two people of different religions, weeellll my wife and I are of different religions, never been a problem with anyone.

In the sixties, interracial marrage was somehow considered to be a bad thing. Once again, my wife and I are considered to be an interracial couple (allthough we are both human :D ). Again no problems.

Hopefully the human species will soon evolve (or is intellently design :rolleyes: ) to the point where we can accept same sex couples on an equal basis.

OK, I'm now off my soap box :p :p

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I noticed your avatar the other day but forgot to say something about it. They do look so cute together! Excellent choice! :)

6. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the topic of internet relationships, I've met a couple of guys that I dated on the internet. The first one I dragged my brother with me to Claim Jumper where the guy worked so I could meet him in person and visit with him a bit in a neutral safe-feeling place before I decided if we would go out on a date. Another actually ended up being a friend of a friend and my friend promised me the guy was normal and he was.

I also met a very good female friend in a hockey chatroom about 10 years ago...five years later she dragged me up to LA for a girls' night out and I saw this cute guy at a bar and since I am/was so shy I never would've approached him in a million years, she went over to him and dragged him back to me, asked his name, introduced us, and got us to talk about things we may or may not have had in common. That man is now my husband. :)

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    So much for the "bar scene" being a dead end and a hotbed for one-night stands.

All right, all you eHarmony questionnaire-filler-outers,, Sierra Club hikers and Parents Without Partners partiers: let's hit those bars! :eek: B)

8. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You should've heard my family when I told them I met 'this guy' at a bar. :D My mom said, "It was like a sports bar, right?" No. My grandmother said, "It was a dance club type bar, right?" No. My dad said, "It was a bar at a restaurant, right?" No. It was a plain and simple go-to-have-a-few-drinks bar. A watering hole. Almost a complete dive bar. For those familiar with the area, it was Harry O's in Manhattan Beach.

9. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I agree that this has been quite a thread to have missed all day! Quite a variety of tangents going on here - all interesting =)

I also think that Squid's basic idea sounds logical - I have a lot of gay friends, and some gay family, and it is just completely normal in my book - I find the idea that it SHOULDN'T be allowed based on religious grounds to be laughable, but until recently, it's held the line.

I feel that it's no different than, as someone mentioned, couples of mixed religions or mixed races (as mine is) being outlawed. 30 years ago, my husband and I would not have been welcome in our neighborhood - not even by some in my parents generation. I believe that in another generation, we'll feel the same about gay marriage - just another inequity brought to light and rectified. I think that people who truly feel that gay marriage is a threat to heterosexual marriage should look at the large number of gays in long-term committed relationships - some of them are MODEL citizens, who could likely provide a better home life than most heterosexual couples.

I applaud those who have gone through the tedious process of trying to gain some of the many rights that were down-right EASY for me to get - it's a long road you're going, but it'll get there. I think it will be in the form of civil unions, but only if we make a point to grant equality - I worry, because I remember that 50 years ago, we learned that when we require separate but equal protections, they rarely turn out equal.

I am

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

See, that's the thing... Here's my background: small country town in the northeast corner of CT, grew up, literally, on the grounds of a convent! I knew not of ONE gay person until well into college, so this means just about in the last 10 years or so. Oh yeah, and through all four years of high school, not a single black person either. The only foreigner being some blonde chick from Germany. I remember how any kid who looked effeminate in highschool was called, whether to his face or not, all sorts of gay-related profanity. Ha, now that I write about it, makes me chuckle. Obviously, people who look effeminate aren't the only ones who are gay... lol, sort of, er... you know what I mean... Granted, it didn't happen often, as I only recall one incident in 4 years, but it's safe to say there was NO tolerance for such... Heck I remember some kids getting picked on because their parents RENTED apartments vs. owning homes. Totally different worlds... Then you get out there, and when you see two men holding hands you're like, "Wth!!!!". It makes even MORE of an impact than it should given such an environment.

Anyway, I guess where I'm going with this is that recently, I've got wind that such is really no longer the case there (I've seen all sorts of kids from my old school openly list "gay" or "bi" on their myspace profile), so if acceptance can make it into small towns in Connecticut, I don't think it will be too long at all...

At the same time though, I don't think it's an overnight thing. I don't think an "acceptance switch" is simply turned "on". Maybe for some people, but I don't think for most...

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    one of my classmates grew up in a place like that. i finally got her to go into an adam and eve store (one of the more tame places i've seen anyway) and her face was so red the whole time. i can't describe her reaction when she saw 2 lesbian women holding hands at the checkout.

i think she's coming around, but she's of the "happily oblivious" personality type (irritates me to no end, it got to the point where i don't talk to her much anymore)

edit: my own experience with homosexuals came pretty early. my best friend's little brother came out in high school, we heard all the anti-gay slang (shameful really), and quickly got used to seeing him and his boyfriend together. it never really bothered either of us, and we'd all hang out all the time.

12. CarlosV

CarlosV Junior Member

Thanks to all for this great discussion.

I did want to point out that I did what Schmika had asked (see above). I looked up the definition of marriage. I encourage you to do a search on the word just as I did. You will find that the definition of MARRIAGE has been evolving for hundreds of years. People who oppose same-gender marriage always say they oppose it because we are "changing the definition" and imply that the definition has been long standing. Conservatives also say that the courts should stay out of the issue. But please read the following excerpt and be enlighted. It refers to interracial marriages and how some christians used their interpretation of the bible to deny whites and blacks to marry. I wonder how many states, if there had been no court involvement, would still have the same laws in place, just as the majory would want it.

In 1958 Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter married in Washington, D.C. and returned to Virginia together as husband and wife. Richard was White and Mildred was Black. The problem arose in that since 1961 Virginia banned interracial marriages. The Lovings were prosecuted under a statute enacted in 1924 entitled "An Act to Preserve Racial Integrity." The statute said that in Virginia no White person could marry anyone other than a white person. The law made it a crime not only to enter into an interracial marriage in the State of Virginia, but it also criminalized interracial marriages outside the state with the intent of evading Virginia's prohibition. Furthermore the law stated that children born out of such a union were deemed in the eyes of the State to be illegitimate and without the protections and privileges accorded to the children of lawfully wedded parents.

The Lovings pleaded guilty to violating the Act and were sentenced to one year in jail, though the trial judge gave them the option of avoiding incarceration on the condition they leave the State and not return for twenty-five years. During the course of the proceeding the trial judge asserted that: "Almighty God created the races of White, Black, Yellow, Malay, and Red, and He placed them on separate continents." "And but for the interference with His arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages." "The fact that He separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

After Virginia's Supreme Court of Appeals affirmed the conviction the Supreme Court of the United States reversed the decision on the grounds that the Constitution of the United States prohibits states from barring interracial marriages. In so doing, the Supreme Court invalidated similar laws in fifteen States. Thus, as of June 12, 1967, interracial marriages were no longer illegal in any State.

13. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Carlos, that quote by the trial judge is chilling. My husband and I have gotten our share of doubletakes, but (aside from our families - I was recently written out of my grandparents will) have never actually been denied ANYTHING for being a mixed-race couple. It makes me

I like to think that in another generation, the Squids of the world will have progressed to seeing same-sex marriage as normal, and the Shmikas of the world will have progressed to the Squid point of view. We'll get there - today, I am allowed to vote, my husband and I were allowed to marry, and even growing up in a conservative town Squid is able to realize that it's coming, and recognize that it's not a 'threat.'

I don't think it will be quick - too many people think that Jack and Ru Paul are typical gays - but we'll eventually get there. I don't champion the cause, but I fight vigorously against any legislation that actively tries to take away rights from human being. The constitution and its original amendments were created to establish our rights, not take them away.

14. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Geology- The "Schmika's" of the world? Disagreeing with same sex marriage makes me some 'class" now? What happened to my right to believe what I want? How am I interfereing with anyones life by not agreeing. I am not a Judge....I am not a congressman....I have not been given the opportunity to vote on the issue..... WHY do I have to agree with same sex marriage.

And to now imply that SQUID must be a better person, based JUST on this??????

Look in a MIRROR!!!!!!!!

Bob, I had no clue that you could not make civil contracts to cover anything a marriage covers. I personally think the Gay/Lesbian community messed up by demanding MARRIAGE.

I think if they had asked for laws allowing civil unions that would duplicate the "legal' rights of marriage, they would already have them.

Carlos...those are not definitions....they are interpretations. Interpretations change with time moreso than definitions. Find a definition that does not state or imply opposite sex. Inter-racial and inter-religious are poor examples because they are still opposite sex.

Didn't I state earlier that I believe common law marriage should be OK and same sex would apply to that as well?

PERSONALLY, my religious convictions condemn the ACT of homosexuality...however....I have the right to believe that and so long as I do not DO anything that infringes on homosexuals...why do some of you insist on being THOUGHT police.

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Me too, and Squid asked for my photo in another thread as well. Well, here I was 9 years ago with the most wonderful woman in the world who, figuratively, renewed my faith in the female gender.

16. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Though I take a bit of exception to my situation being called, "Married -1st spouse" - I guess that's the best option for me. I would prefer, "married - only spouse." Calling my wife my "first" spouse seems to presuppose a second spouse down the line. I also have only one child, and I don't refer to her as my first, seeing as how we have no plans for me.

Anyway - married once to my current wife. And now with this talk of interracial... well, I guess that's what our marriage is, since my wife was born in Hong Kong, and I'm just your average white American goober. Interestingly enough, I never even considered that we were a "mixed marriage" until many years after we were a couple and visited some small towns that had apparently never seen an Asian woman.

Met my wife in College while sharing a lab bench in Biology. Been together since 1985... married sometime after that.

Note: I'm the white guy.

[​IMG]

17. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I don't MEAN to be cynical, but in the good old US, Divorce can, and is, unilateral. YOU won't decide if you stay married, SHE will, and conversely, SHE does not decide whether you stay married, YOU do!

Once I realized this, it changed my whole attitude. I think of and treat my wife as a customer who I continually have to sell myself to. (kind of like, the dating did not stop when the ring went on) Since my wife shares this attitude...we are good. In fact , if we get into an argument and it seems to be going south, we end it with me saying...I'm not going to leave you, YOU have to leave me...and she will respond likewise....then we just grin and head up to ......you know..... :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My best friend throughout school was a boy of mixed descent...Dad white goober and Mom Japanese. Named Geoff...in 1959...Geoff...how unusual. Born same day...same hospital as me.

edit- Oh, what a beautiful child. My brother married a Japanese lady and I now have a beautiful neice. This whole "mixed-marriage" thing I find quite beautiful. What a way to make true rainbows.

18. Mystery Squid

Damn Schmeek!

You even LOOK like a COP!!!!

Edit: don't do undercover work! Man, in a crowd of people, I'd point you out in a heartbeat!

:lol:

:p

:)

19. Mystery Squid

Asian chicks are awesome!!!

B)

20. Mystery Squid

I suddenly realize I HATE looking at wedding pics....

...'friggin' OBNOXIOUS if you ask me.

It's sort of like showing me what I can't have. :angry:

:lol: