1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Marketplace dispute - please chime in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by sarir97, Nov 17, 2013.

1. sarir97

sarir97 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This was the buyer's initial response when he received the wheel (what's in bold is my doing for emphasis):

"got the bare steering wheel today , but it sure does not include everything else that was on the steering wheel that you had pictured on your posting. I was expecting all the parts that was pictured, but it looks like you purchased another new steering wheel and removed everything off this one to use on that one. Not sure what to do with it as I really don't want to deal with swapping everything out on my current one to this one."

1) This is proof that he actually wanted the wheel for personal use.
    2) If you want to use my wheel, by default you have to swap out yours for mine...

So here he have a buyer that doesn't know what to do with a bare wheel. Of course I referenced the DIY guide on PriusChat. I also did mention that swapping out the controls from his to the new one was actually the easiest part of the whole process. I mentioned that his dealer would be more than happy to do this for him, as the wheel was in fact an OEM Toyota part, and not aftermarket. And finally, after mentioning all this, and recognizing that perhaps he did expect my airbag and controls (due to my picture), I offered him a way out, which was the return of the wheel at his expense for a refund, but that I would keep the original shipping cost as a "restocking fee". Now, did I say all this in the nicest and sweetest of tongues? No. Was I rude? Absolutely not.

His response to the above was that he can do the swap in his sleep, and how dare I not offer him a full refund and not offer to pay for his return shipping, yada yada yada.

Everything just degenerated after that.

He lost my respect when he said he could do the swap in his sleep. I then knew I was being taken for a ride.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's certainly a passive-aggressive response by the buyer. Looks like DtEW might be right after all. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't actually want the steering wheel for personal use but was looking to profit from the parts.

3. sarir97

sarir97 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Reposted the wheel for sale. I think it's air tight.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe, maybe not. One more disclaimer needed. ;)

SCH-I535

sarir97 likes this.
  5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Love your sarcastic post.

sarir97 likes this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

TPMS sensor included?

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, TPMS sensor will not detect stupid buyers.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Needed to qualify the "wheel" seller, however.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Already did that in the actual ad if you'll bother to look. The fact remains that the buyer was stupid for not doing his research (and likely harboring some ulterior motive). He won't be able to find a "complete" steering wheel that he can merely swap out intact.

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Epic failure in the first ad. Learned something and applied it to ad #2.

Plug and play "complete" wheels exist, albeit perhaps not for $165 + S/H. But buyer didn't set the price, did he?

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No such thing that can be swapped out as whole, as the buyer wanted. You'd have to purchase and put the individual parts together. You're just as ignorant as the buyer.

12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Says the apologist in league with the seller. "Complete" being the issue, moron.

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Read again what the buyer wrote (from post #41):

".....Not sure what to do with it as I really don't want to deal with swapping everything out on my current one to this one."

The buyer was under the impression that the airbag is integrated with the steering wheel and it could be swapped out as whole. That is false. He is not going to find a "plug and play" complete steering wheel that could be swapped out as you suggested.

14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Go read the original listing and note the photo. Oh, that's right, the OP took them down... Guess why?

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not necessarily. I see many sellers take down the original listing out of respect for the buyer or if they don't want to be bothered by prospective buyers who don't read the thread and are unaware it was already sold so this practice isn't uncommon. I'm not disputing why the buyer didn't get what he thought he was going to get but his reason for wanting to return it. There's no way you can swap out the old steering wheel without removing the airbag and other components individually. The fact remains there's no plug and play complete steering wheel that you can swap out as whole, which the buyer claims he wants.

xpcman likes this.
  16. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

With respect, the original ad and photo take-down were done for an entirely different reason, the reason that spawned several now lengthy threads.

It is understood that these steering wheels are complex build-ups, unlike the simple pop the horn button, disconnect a spade connection and remove the 19mm castle nut procedure on the Roadster, however, a fully built-up OEM Softex trimmed wheel with components -- as described and shown in the original photo, and had one been shipped -- would have been for all intents and purposes plug and play compatible, and what the buyer apparently thought he was buying and wanted, albeit he would have had to remove the center section and make some electrical connections.

Separately, whether the switch-over workload was actually anticipated and manageable by the original buyer is at this point unknowable, given he was clearly put-off by receiving a Softex trimmed wheel skeleton.

17. sarir97

sarir97 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What reason was that? You have no clue what you're talking about and I don't appreciate your unsubstantiated accusations. They were taken down for the exact reason 32kcolors mentioned. No bad intentions whatsoever. In fact, had I not taken them down, they would've proved me right on multiple points that I don't need to re-hash.

I've taken a lot of heat (to be polite) from you and I've admitted to my original post being deficient. No need to continue to besmirch my reputation!

18. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh my god, you guys. This is ridiculous.

xliderider and xpcman like this.
  19. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, this is priuschat

WE0H likes this.
  20. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    "Do you want to have just one argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?"