1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mars Curiosity Rover

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Aug 5, 2012.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is absent from my memory. I vaguely remember some Gemini launches and the Apollo 1 fire. But my first real vivid sound-and-picture space memory is of Apollo 8's Christmas Eve reading of Genesis while live video of the lunar surface rolls by.

Chuck. likes this.
  2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Apollo 1 was originally named Apollo 204, until it was later changed. I remember Alan Shepherd and his Fredom 7 launched with a Redstone rocket, the same type that launched the first US satellite, the Explorer 1.

3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's weird. I'm a Mandarin speaker, and I deal with a lot of Chinese branding. Roewe isn't a pronouncable set of sounds in Chinese - Rover would actually be easier to approximate than Roewe. And Roewe doesn't reflect the romanisation "Rong wei" either. If you're going to have a name in the roman alphabet, why not stick to the original?

I like what SAIC-Nanjing Auto did with MG, though. Instead of "Morris Garages", it now stands for "Modern Gentleman".

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I agree.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the opening line from my Professional Resume......

"On July 20, 1969, Neil Armstrong became the first man on the moon. I was in High School Electronics training. I found a broken color TV that July. I slaved for 16 days repairing that TV. The day of the Moon Landing the set worked! That night I watched, coincidentally, Jules Bergman, ABC News Science Editor bring live coverage of what I consider to be one of mans most significant endeavors. That was when I new I needed to work in Live TV!"

I was quite lucky as a child, after 3 years of Penguins & Priests, my parents found Public School (Gasp The Horror, our son in PUBLIC SCHOOL) to be a better environment for me educationally! This particular school had a Principal that believed in the Space Program, and I loved TV, so I joined AV Club! I watched every launch, next school, Yep AV Club!
    You know the nerds that roll the TV's into the classrooms and set them up so everybody could watch EVERY launch possible! I was one of those Nerds! I really did prefer ABC NEWS coverage of the launches so I always set the TV's to ABC!
    Now later in life, I have, and still work for the ABC Network in Los Angeles, it was meant to be!
    I did watch the playback of landing on the NASA Channel from last night!
    What a cool thing it was just to be able to watch the team work.
    I gotta move up a notch, get a job with NASA or JPL!

On a side note I was a member of the ABCNEWS TV crew at Edwards AFB for Shuttle Landing coverage!
    I saw 4 landings!
    That was way cool!

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I watched it live, and it really was a very intense thing.

I am very, very jealous.

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the MSL is totally amazing. The programming involved to get it to operate on its own in such hostile conditions is a feat in itself, but with that 14 minute signal time lag too? Amazing. Obviously some bright folk working on it. And on that note, there was a documentary about it on tv here a week ago and the scientist they were interviewing drove a Prius :)

BBC News - Rover shoots movie during descent

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's even vaguer than Prius steering:ROFLMAO:

9. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fond memories on working on the Viking programs in the past.

The latest landing on Mars is just a sampling of what america is all about and what she can do.

lets' start planning to go to the red planet!!!

DBCassidy

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I read somewhere that a one way journey to Mars is being seriously considered. At first I thought that a crazy idea, but apparantly it cuts costs and development down significantly. I guess if the people signing up know the full facts beforehand, then fair enough.

It was less than a hundred years ago that emigrating to the US was considered a one way trip and that you'd never see your old homeland again. So perhaps the one way Mars idea is the way to go?

Mars to Stay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia