1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Masks? Who's wearing them? Guess I should start

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Went to a local "drug and discount store" yesterday -- first time in maybe two weeks and noticed a LARGE percentage of folks were wearing masks.

Most of them homemade, or just improvised bandanas, just like Jesse James!

I, of course, was not.

I do have several of the very large "trainmen" bandanas, that I use as a sweatband when I work in the yard. If I dug around in my workshop, would probably find some old utility masks that I bought for sanding projects.

If (when) I venture into close quarters again, I might go ahead and mask up. What's the consensus?

BTW, store was nearly empty and I got in and out quickly. Needed to buy an unnecessary and expensive vitamin supplement for my wife's father. He's a real -- well...

But, as long as I was there bought an 18-pack of Michelob Ultra and a bottle of wine. Neither of those really needed.

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Anything covering your mouth will help to keep from giving someone else whatever organisms are in your body. That is the best reason to wear a mask. I did not realize at first that by not wearing a mask I was being inconsiderate of others. As more people begin to "get it", I expect wearing a mask in public in this country will become the new normal, as it has been in many Asian countries for quite some time. One advantage I can see is that I will need to shave less often.;)

dbat23, srellim234 and kenoarto like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I might have to begin shaving. The instructions for manufactured masks usually warn that facial hair interferes with the seal.

Mendel Leisk and davecook89t like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trollbait, kenoarto and davecook89t like this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I gave up my beard for covid. Not that I've spent much time under mask in public, but readiness was the point anyway.

If I were to have to cough for any reason while in public, I'd sure want to be wearing a mask when everyone inevitably swivels around to check.

dbat23 and davecook89t like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    kenoarto and davecook89t like this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not required in my area yet.
    But I would say on my few trips to the grocery store, or my daily walks in the park, always trying to respect 6 ft. distancing, I'm noticing about a 50/50 usage of face masks.
    In the last week, I now wear a face mask in any situation I think I might come in closer contact with others. Which is primarily when in a grocery store.
    I don't wear them in my vehicle. I drive alone, and I figure within the vehicle is a pretty sealed environment that doesn't allow for interaction closer than 6ft, by virtue of the windows, glass, and steel around me...and the fact that I'm moving.
    But otherwise, I think the safest, wisest choice is to cover your mouth in any environment you might come close to others.

dbat23 and davecook89t like this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One dilemma leads to another.

I find, in my collection of house-project stuff, a disposable mask from way back that I never disposed of. It is (or was, when it was new) N95.

3M now puts expiration dates on their masks. (I'm not sure what expires; maybe the strap elastic or the staples.) Mine is so old it pre-dates the expiration dates. The elastic seems to be ok. It is the color of old aged me-sweat around the edges and probably contains a modicum of sanding dust and old dead me germs.

Probably it is not as good as a new, non-expired N95 mask (which should be reserved for the front lines anyway). Probably it is still better than something I might sew from a T shirt. And I'm pretty sure it's old and gross enough that it isn't worth trying to donate to a HCW.

It definitely makes for easier breathing than two layers of T shirt. I just gave that a try and it was pretty hard work.

So I could wear my old gross 3M mask and I wouldn't have to fabricate anything. But there might be dirty looks from people who think I oughtn't be wearing that type of mask. Then I could gross people out by explaining in a muffled voice how old and yucky it is.

Or maybe just drape a light bandanna or something over it.

I never used to worry about shaving when using the things for house projects. I just figured it was better than nothing even with an imperfect seal (and I could tell, from less irritation, that it was better than nothing).

Now that I'm thinking to raise the bar a little, I've drawn a line around it on my face, and it doesn't look like it will really need very much shaving. Just enough to clear a bit of a circle. Might look a little odd. We'll see.

As big of a surprise is I also found a razor.

#8 ChapmanF, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This has my support; I'm in a similar situation but I know my 3m n95 mask is 'only' about 2 years old and has 'only' eaten about 3 hours of limb-chipping yard dust.

As fortune would have it, my sister-in-law recently gifted me a genuine hamamonyo tactical handkerchief. I had no idea they existed before, but I've made it ready all the same.

Raytheeagle and kenoarto like this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just words of caution. Most N95 masks are not intended for repeated use in a healthcare setting. This is probably mostly true for regular non-healthcare use as well, especially if you wore it to a public place where you might have been exposed to the viral particles. So, unless you have a stash of many many old N95 masks, you will still have to make other reusable masks for multiple outings.

Although this is for health workers in a clinical setting, here are some studies and recommendations on extended use and reuse of N95 face mask.
    https://www.elsevier.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/997863/COVID-ECRI-N95-Respirators_2020-03.pdf

Attached Files:

#10 Salamander_King, Apr 11, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding the attachment: TL;DR :(

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a pdf document. It may not work on a phone display. I uploaded pdf version as a separate file.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I was able to load, but Lordy it's 26 pages. I have a few N95 disposables (new, in a box in garage), guess I'll save them for the next few shopping trips.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. It's much easier to read than many comments found in this forum. As in most scientific papers, the panch line is summarized on the very first page in this case inside the black box. The rest are for technical readers needing verification of details and references.

#15 Salamander_King, Apr 11, 2020
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ma gov has asked everyone to wear a face covering in public places, not necessarily outside

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same guidance out here;).

Mainly if you know you will be in someone's physical space(y).

bisco likes this.
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pretty sure N95s that are new in a box are definitely usable by healthcare workers. There are some clearinghouses like

Mask Match

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Old news I'm sure that masks have been all over China since late January. I feel certain that almost none of them (are worn to) provide high levels of incoming protection. All provide at least moderate levels of outgoing protection.

They can be very helpful to limit your hands going to your face, which is important. However if you reach underneath to scratch your nose, that benefit is cancelled.

Many places have not reached and may not reach a level where they are required in public. In those that do, it is pretty much like shirt or other body covering.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking of tying a plastic bag over my head. they weren't available in 1918

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.