1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mass loss of Greenland and Antarctica

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Nov 18, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Full title: "Mass loss of Greenland and Antarctica from GRACE, IceSat and CryoSat"

Source: http://congrexprojects.com/docs/12c20_docs2/2-grace_esa-clic_forsberg.pdf?sfvrsn=2

upload_2014-11-18_7-39-23.png

What is important in this paper is finding agreement in the loss of ice using different metrics from different missions. If I measure something with one instrument, it is important. But when I use different instruments and get similar values, we begin to trust the measurement and not doubt the meters.

What is also important is the faux analysis of 'Watts' who tried to call the Antarctic loss insignificant is addressed.

Bob Wilson

fuzzy1 likes this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It isn't a 'paper' (as I would use the term) it is a pdf presumably for a meeting. It is probably based at least in part on published research not cited here. I suppose that 1st author Forsberg would provide a reference list if asked.

Let's keep in mind that the millimeters here refer to sea level rise averaged over the global oceanic surface. These icy places (being much smaller) would have larger millimeter numbers . Whatever those might be, we can compare to the largest local geothermal millimeters in the Schroeder et al. 2014 I cited in the other current related topic. In their figure 3, that is 6.3 mm/yr, in areas that I'd call very small.

I'd be well satisfied if someone could put bounds on the maximum contribution of geothermal to the 1.0 mm/yr total that appears to be coming from Gg picture' and geothermal ice melting represents Greenland and Antarctica (G&A).

Other sources (we've discussed) apportion the total 3 mm/yr SLR equally among G&A melt, other continental ice melt, and thermal expansion of seawater. For me, that is the current 'big picture' and geothermal ice melting represents some fraction of that first mm. OK fine, what is the fraction?

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This ice loss meme is getting pathetic.Sea ice is gaining on both hemispheres.
    Theres zero proof that land ice is melting from CO2.
    But its the only meme you have left to push .
    Everything else is easily deemed as being bullshit.
    Hurricanes this year down globally by 5%,tornadoes down,
    Fires down ,drought down.Sea level not accelerating.
    The only global warming on the Earth is at the poles where there are few thermometers and satellites are not accurate.
    Heres an interesting blog about how temps are fraudulently infilled by GISS.
    The End Is Nigh - Not!: GISS - Strange Anomalies

Richard Jones likes this.
  4. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    BTW the ice sheets are melting from the bottom on both poles.
    You dont need a degree in climatology to realize the weather is on the top, the Earth is underneath.
    How stupid are these climate scientists?
    They're not stupid.
    They just arent honest.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What attracted me were the summaries and lay introduction to the techniques. Yes it does look 'meeting' notes but it also covers a lot of ground that could provide more insights.

Bob Wilson

<SIGH>The world is so out to get you . . . in your own mind:
    Nature doesn't care.

6. Richard Jones

Richard Jones New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, with this. CO2 emissions are definitely not responsible for climate change, there is more than enough evidence against the theory, shame that climatologists lose their funding if they don't propagate this BS :/

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You are a fool.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Richard,
    Fair enough as:
    • "It is a well known fact that reality has liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert
    Bob Wilson

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus