1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Alarm (Triangle of Death) ABS Code C1310

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Michael Townsend, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Michael Townsend

Michael Townsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking for some help. Much appreciated any help that can be provided.

2008 Toyota Prius / 92K miles

Symptoms: Vehicle will display master alarm on dash and will not set (Ready Mode), so car will not go into Drive or Reverse. Power to systems comes on but can not drive car. If system is fully reset (12v and HV batteries disconnected) then re connected, car will go into (Ready Mode) and is fully drivable will all systems functioning until about 2 minutes pass, then master alarm will come back on (Car will remain drivable until it is shut off).

Things I have inspected and repaired: 12v battery has been replaced and connections have been verified good, added extra ground strap, leaky rear hatch and related issues, HV battery cooling fan tested and connection verified, Inverter / Converter cover removed and all connections have been inspected and cleaned, HV battery pack (including all relays and ECU) has been replaced with two new units and original unit was then put back in car, HV battery was torn down and each cell was tested and all cells test at around 7.5v, HV battery was tested under load (AC running) with maybe one volt point drop around 220v, HV battery recharge by gas motor confirmed at around 20v +-, Connections to Skid ECU have been inspected and cleaned, Brake pedal light switch confirmed working, Brake power supply replaced, Connection to transmission control ECU inspected and cleaned, visually inspected good wiring running down both sides of car underneath foot well.

Car does not produce a CEL, only code to come back after system reset is an ABS code C1310.
    According to my code scanner (Innova 3010C) I get two descriptions. (I am not sure they are correct tho)
    1. HV System Malfunction
    2. Active Booster Solenoid

Note that brakes work fine / also note not that its related the Cat was stolen and has been replaced by the dealer about 6 months ago.

Could really use some HELP :)

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    You might have unread codes (DTCs) that are still stored in the ECUs, as not OBD2 scanners are Toyota hybrid compatible.

Otherwise try scanning after you've driven it around some, but before you "erase" the OBD2 codes (DTCs) or disconnect the 12v.

Here the is work up for DTC C1259 and DTC C1310 : https://share.qclt.com/丰田普瑞斯原厂英文手册pdf格式/Repair Manual/04pruisr/05/21avn/cic12595.pdf

FYI : your posts are being moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Symptoms: Vehicle will display master alarm on dash and will not set (Ready Mode), so car will not go into Drive or Reverse. Power to systems comes on but can not drive car. If system is fully reset (12v and HV batteries disconnected) then re connected, car will go into (Ready Mode) and is fully drivable will all systems functioning until about 2 minutes pass, then master alarm will come back on (Car will remain drivable until it is shut off).

The only code that causes these symptoms is the P0AA6- which is a reduction of the HV insulation. It could be the battery (likely), the cabling, the inverter, the AC system or the transaxle. If you get a reader that speaks Toyota hybrid, it will likely show the P0AA6 and a subcode to help isolate it. You do not need to remove the HV disconnect to reset it, only disconnect the 12v battery. Just remember, disconnecting the 12v also resets all codes (which is why it lets you drive the car again)

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the correct "fortune Cookie" description, but it doesn't help very much on its own. The C1310 is set in the brake ECU because it has been notified of some issue by the hybrid vehicle (HV) ECU. The codes in the HV ECU (and possibly in the Battery ECU) are the ones that will really tell you what's going on, but this code scanner does not seem to have read those. Toyota Techstream or some other scan tool that knows how to retrieve HV ECU and battery codes would get you the information you need.

As mentioned in the above posts, if you were to read the HV and or battery ECUs, you will probably find a P0AA6 and probably some other codes.

5. Michael Townsend

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all of you for helping me with this. I will add some info that was left out tho, my code reader is able to read OBD-2 / Toyota Advanced / ABS codes / Live Data.

Throughout all this testing I have come across some of these noted codes (C1259) (Possibly testing with the HV battery disconnect out? As of yesterday I have replaced all the relays related to the ABS pump (2 relays / 2 redundant pumps?) total of 4 relays. As I stated before the entire battery pack has been replaced with two different packs, this did not solve the problem so the original battery was put back in car, Also confirmed that the 12v system is charging at around 13.6v and the HV battery is charging at around 20v. At this point the codes that stay are:

C1310 and C1253
    These are described as:
    C1310 HV System Malfunction / Active Booster Solenoid
    C1253 Hydro-Booster Pump Motor Relay

Being I've never owned or driven a Prius I'm not sure what the ABS Pump should sound like but I do notice that it seems to run just about every time I press the brake? I believe it is also running without pressing the brake with the car just sitting.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that a typo? It is only charging at 20 V?
    There are 7 INF codes for this DTC which can be found in the freeze frame data which you should find on the advanced page somewhere. Look for a button with a snowflake icon (or the letters FFD) on it.
    The trouble areas for this code are:
    • ABS MTR relay
    • ABS MTR 2 relay
    • Harness and connector
    • Brake actuator assembly
    The INF codes will help zoom in on the trouble area.
    That seems to be running more often than usual.

You still need to read the battery ECU and the Hybrid Vehicle. The C1310 code means that you need to look at those other ECUs for the answer.

7. Michael Townsend

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again thank you for the info, to answer your questions:

Yes 20volt is correct, using my meter on the HV battery while the car is sitting with the AC and gas motor running in charge state shows around 20volt +-, its been a few weeks since I checked but was kinda hard to catch. Seems like it cycles from pulling a load to idle to charge kinda quick.

I will check the codes again and see if I can find any Toyota advanced or other ECU codes I missed.

I’ve replaced all the pump relays with new so I think those can be ruled out, the brakes do work however the pump seems to run too often? I do not know how this brake system works exactly but if my knowledge of traditional hydraulic brake systems is of any use I would think that once pressure is built between the brake caliber and the pump it should hold unless there is an internal leak (Master cylinder seals) or the brakes are cycled.

anyhow without more advanced testing equipment my guess at this point is the issue is the brake pump, my assumption is that I am getting HV system malfunction codes and master alarm because the car uses the brake pump to adjust for regenerative braking? I either buy a brake pump for $300 and replace or tow the car to a shop and pay them $300 to tell me for sure? Ahhh :) the coin flip

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where exactly are you measuring with your meter? Do you have the HV battery disassembled?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This looks like the places you're looking descriptions up are too generic.

Any C1 code is manufacturer defined, not defined by SAE, so it is free to mean one thing in one car and something entirely different in some other car. That some manufacturer might build some car out there where C1310 has to do with some "active booster solenoid" is of no use to you as a Prius owner.

[​IMG]

The "HV system malfunction" is the right fortune cookie in a Prius. As dolj explained up in post #4, what it means is that your HV ECU has detected a malfunction, and set a trouble code (or multiple codes) about it, and you need to read those codes to find out why you have the C1310. It appears that the scan tool you are using does not retrieve codes from the HV ECU (or from the battery ECU, which could also have codes, depending on what the HV ECU reports).

The C1253 is indeed its own problem, with the hydraulic pump and controls in the braking system, and you seem to be on the right track as far as that one goes.

When you say your meter, do you mean an electrical multimeter with leads that you have placed somewhere related to the battery, or do you mean a CAN-based meter that you have plugged into the car's diagnostic port and selected some display related to the HV battery?

#9 ChapmanF, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at your original phrasing, if the car is charging I'd expect that the units would be Amps. If you are really seeing V and not A, maybe your 'meter' is wrong or maybe you misinterpreted it.

11. Michael Townsend

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Morning and thanks again everyone,

Looks like I have a friend that is going to let me borrow his Snap-on Scanner, so I should have some better info soon. Just wanted to clarify tho about what I was checking when and how on the HV battery: Using a cheap multimeter at the main HV battery contacts before the contactor's. With the car off battery reads around 220Volts / car on under load still 220Volts / while watch screen on dash when car goes into charge mode and gas motor starts it would cycle from 220Volt to 0Volt to 20ishVolts / Then Master alarm comes on and back to under load 220Volts. I have not check amps so far. (Thinking about this again tho I do not think this was a valid test, if the master alarm is coming on its very possible that the system never actually went into a charging state even tho the screen on the dash said so.

I should have this scanner by the weekend so I'll be able to actually know something and stop guessing :)

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Something seriously not right there, with my first suspicions aimed at the connection of the test leads.

13. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From my (limited) experience with reading voltage at the HV bat, normally this voltage will be in the 180 - 240 V DC range. If however the "safety plug" is not FULLY CONNECTED, ie the HV bat is effectively disconnected, the voltage at the terminals reads around 20V DC. I suggest you check this connection an extra 3 times ;-) I've made far more simple mistakes myself. Of course some ECU/electronics of the car might be "disconnecting" the HV bat. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the meter connections were "at the main HV battery contacts before the contactor's", which the OP said and which also has to be true for 220 volts to have been measured with the car off, then there isn't any way for an ECU to be disconnecting the battery ahead of that point. And if the system is able to go READY and crank the engine, the service plug is fully connected.

Still, there is something clearly not right about the reading when it drops to "0Volt to 20ishVolts". The reason my first suspicion would focus on the meter lead connections themselves is that with a battery of that size, there aren't a lot of other explanations for such a reading that wouldn't also involve smoke or flame.

15. Michael Townsend

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Current update:

I have cleared all codes and driven the car for around 20 miles. Using a Proper scanner I’ll list the codes and sub codes found.

ABS Codes:
    C1310 Fault in HV System / Fault in ACTV Brake Booster Solenoid
    C1259 System Regenerative Fault

HV ECU Code:
    P0AA6 Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault
    Sub Codes:
    526 & 612

Again really appreciate you all’s help with this. :)

#15 Michael Townsend, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    SFO likes this.
  16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Michael Townsend

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, do you know what the frame wire or junction block is?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the frame wire connects the battery in the rear of the car to the inverter/converter in the front of the car. The junction block is the assembly inside the battery enclosure that contains the system main relays and resistor. There is also a "no. 2 frame wire" that runs along one side of all the battery modules and connects them to the battery ECU.

Notice you have INF code 612, which pins down the leak into the green region of the drawing SFO attached. The frame wire is outside that region (but the no. 2 frame wire is inside it, so still among the possible suspects).

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  19. Michael Townsend

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok wow just wanted you all to know that I get more help from you all than Toyota service .
    So I just confirmed with the hybrid battery company that replaced the HV battery with two separate units that the only part they reuse from the old setup is the service plug. Could you recommend a way for me to test the service plug?

offib likes this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At some point, pretty much any investigation of a -612 is going to involve some high-voltage gloves, getting the battery cover off, and a megger.

Once you have the requisite stuff and the cover off, the service plug is just attached to the battery terminals at two points, and you can check whether disconnecting it at both points will change the megger reading you see.

By the same token, once you have the requisite stuff and the cover off, it might be just as easy to go through the usual checks in the usual order, and you should end up finding the leak before long whether the service plug is the right guess or not.