1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Alarm (Triangle of Death) ABS Code C1310

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Michael Townsend, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Michael Townsend

Michael Townsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have already gone through the battery, every cell test at around 7.5volt. Also checked for continuity of service plug which is good with no Resistance or charge, just not sure what that capacitor looking thing is in the plug itself?

also wondering if the P0AA6 code could cause the C1310 code in the ABS system?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No need to wonder. The P0AA6 does cause the C1310, as was explained in post #2 and post #4 and post #6 and post #9.

3. Michael Townsend

Michael Townsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update!

I have torn down the battery pack and inspected each cell. One was leaking acid so I replaced it with an unknown condition used one. Only fault I’m getting now is the battery is low. Hopefully it will charge up and all will be good. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

SFO likes this.
  4. RideCustom

RideCustom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Im running to a very similar issue. Were you able to resolve the issue from replacing the leaking cell?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When tagging on to a year-old post with the classic "my issue is similar", it is very considerate to tell us how similar, so that we have a better idea how to help.

A very good way to do that is to include what trouble codes your car is showing—along with any other symptom details.

6. RideCustom

RideCustom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry for not being clear. I have an 05 prius/~250k. Replaced HV battery pack with recondition pack (not sure if the issue is related to the pack replacement). About 2 months later, the symptoms is exactly the same as the Michael described: "Vehicle will display master alarm on dash and will not set (Ready Mode), so car will not go into Drive or Reverse. Power to systems comes on but can not drive car. If system is fully reset (12v and HV batteries disconnected) then re connected, car will go into (Ready Mode) and is fully drivable will all systems functioning until about 2 minutes pass, then master alarm will come back on (Car will remain drivable until it is shut off)."

At the moment I only have a simple scanner that only shows C1310. I am currently waiting to get it scanned by toyota techstream. So, I was wondering if his issue was resolved when he discovered that one of the cell was "leaking acid".

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok. Yeah, wait for a Techstream scan. Your C1310 is from the brake system, and that code only says the brake system knows you have hybrid system codes. A code as general as that isn't really enough to say whether your issue is the same as anyone else's or not. The simple scanner isn't showing you the codes that would.

Getting the hybrid system codes will tell you what's really going on. From the symptoms, maybe it could turn out to be a P0AA6 code, but even for that code, the problem's not necessarily even in the battery at all. The code and subcodes will indicate what to look for. Until then, relax, catch a movie or something.

offib likes this.
  8. RideCustom

RideCustom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mystery solved!
    Turned out it was exactly the same issue as Michael’s (what’s the chance of that). I didnt get the toyotatech running, but i was able to get a hand on a bidirectional scanner. It pulled up a P0AA6, but even that it is still very vague. So I decided to just start with the HV battery first, since it was the last thing that was replaced…my suspicion was may be the replaced cells or modules may be old and cracked and leaking out acid. So I pull out the HV pack and start examining for physical damage, didnt see anything stood out . I checked it the second time, still nothing! checked the voltage of each module, they looked fine. Felt pretty hopeless by that point, I asked my nephew to help me carrying it back in the prius, and that’s when he was like “Yo Wth! it fk’in shocked me!” . So what happen was his forearm accidentally touching one of the terminal while his hand is grounding. That was one place I forgot to check (stupid me). Sure enough there was about the sum of 122v leakage from the last terminal on module#1 and it zeroed out at module#16. I took the pack apart carefully with electrical gloves, and found a very very very small leak from module#16 from where the bottom bolt was holding the module down.

replaced with a new module that i have, balanced the whole pack, pop that bad boy back into the prius, took it for test drive, did a post scan, everything looked good, code and red triangle of death haven’t come back yet so far (usually it would come back in like 10sec). I guess I got a little bit lucky this time. I appreciate and thank you for all your feedbacks.

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad you found it. Did you torque all the fasteners to spec with an inch pound torque wrench?

It seems like a number of cars with this fault have problems at the bottom mounting screw. I wonder if possible over tightening contributes to it, or if stress from normal thermal expansion does it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hope you're taking your still-breathing nephew to a real nice dinner or something.

While that wasn't the recommended way to find the source of a P0AA6, it is a great reminder of why absolutely anything you do inside the battery has to be done with serious extra care if a P0AA6 has been reported.

Sometimes, folks with some experience under their belt doing hybrid battery chores will start to let some of the safety precautions slide a little, like maybe not gloving up every single time the repair manual says to. And a lot of the time, the redundancy of the system's safety measures will make that kind of ok.

But whenever there has been a P0AA6 reported, you already know that safety is compromised, and it is not the time to let any of your personal protection slide.