1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master, Brake, VSC, Check Engine Warnings-2008 194K miles ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rleeinva, Sep 17, 2020.

1. rleeinva

rleeinva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have been reading all the posts I can find on the above warnings lights- many lol

With those lights on, can I drive 6 miles to Auto Zone to get the codes checked without doing more damage?

It started yesterday about 2 miles from my house. I drove home. In the driveway, noticed a high pitch noise coming from near the 12v battery area- back rear.

The car started a few minutes ago. I had to double check to see if the lights were still coming on. Also, in the center display, there is a read car with an ! light on.

After getting the codes, I'll be buying and replacing the 12v battery.

Thanks

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Six miles could be doable, but there is no guarantee that something bad won't happen. Post the codes (DTCs) here.

Replacing the 12v battery may or not be prudent, and you might want to focus on the HV battery instead.

The HV battery fan may need cleaning, do you carry pets, hippies, or smaller humans in the vehicle?

3. rleeinva

rleeinva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice on the HV battery fan.

LOL no, I don't carry pets or hippies or smaller people. :)

It's raining all day today. I'll try to get to the store tomorrow.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is the possibility that the OBD2 scanner at AZ won't be toyota hybrid compatible, but it could be a good start.

If you can determine that the high pitched noise is coming from the HV fan (you will find the fan intake close to the shoulder area of the rear passenger side seat) then you most likely have a failing/failed HV battery and should plan accordingly.

#4 SFO, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. rleeinva

rleeinva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, drove the 12 mile round trip. No problems. No new sounds from the 12 v battery area. All fluids are fine. No leaks.

But, no codes. The engine started every time we tried to get codes. Powered up without the brake. HV battery control unit faults.

So, How long can I drive this thing before it dies?

Will be getting the wife a new car and I'll drive her 2012 Prius. :)

194K miles. I got my money's worth. It's been a good car.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some auto parts retailers, or locations within the same chain often offer other OBD2 scanners, which may be toyota hybrid compatible.

If you have warning lights display on the dash, then you have codes (DTCs) stored (minus a couple of exceptions). If you can pick up an OBD2 bluetooth adapter and an App for your phone, like Dr Prius or Torque, then you could scan the codes (DTCs) yourself. If you wanted the best in class scanning device you could grab a "mini-vci" cable($15) to use with Techstream on a windows device, this is the same software that the dealer technicians use to troubleshoot, diagnose and repair vehicles. Post the codes here for additional advice.
    Hard to say how long it could last, just start it weekly or more often. Some can go for days/weeks/months, but don't expect that. Best not to drive it like a rabbit, and crack the windows when possible after parking.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. rleeinva

rleeinva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks! Good advice!

The Mrs is looking at a RAV-4 hybrid. We love Toyota's. The best car we ever owned was a 4-Runner- 300k miles, sold it to a friend, he got another 50k until he hit a deer and a ditch. He wasn't hurt.