1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Cylinder, Brake Booster, not in recall

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by KarlyArtTeacher, Apr 25, 2020.

1. KarlyArtTeacher

KarlyArtTeacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius III, 139k miles. Lady hit front driver side at the tire area. Pulling into work & felt like brakes were going out, had to press pedal down nearly to floor. ABS light, Brake light, (!) light & traction control lights were all on. NEVER happened before. Filed insurance & told of brake lights/issues. Sent to dealer to see & got these codes: c1203, c1336, c1345, c1451...all to the tune of $3100 since insurance denied the claim. Have tried not driving as much since I can't afford that amount. Called original dealership since we paid for the extended warranty. Service guy said it was covered & bring it in...up to 150k miles or until Aug. 30th. Bring in today only to hear that it's NOT covered under the warranty extension & had to be either 1391, 1252, 1256 or 1253 codes, but the codes he got were: 1345, 1368, 1451 (which were slightly different than the first dealer that ran the diagnostics). Could the damage to the tire cause any of this? I've read through numerous threads here with similar issues, some covered under the warranty extension, others not. Unsure of the next step to take

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you got hit and insurance doesn't cover it?

pjksr02 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do we have here a failure to communicate? Did you say you have an extended warranty that you bought and paid for, but later somebody at the dealer thought the question was "is this problem covered under the free warranty extension that applies to the brakes"? They do get that question a lot.

Seems to me if you have a purchased extended warranty, that ought to cover stuff that breaks.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, if the brake problem started immediately after the collision, but insurance is not listening, maybe you need to talk to a lawyer. Or mention the "L" word to the insurance?

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The recall should have done when it was issued, not after an accident. And recalls are free.

If the other person was at fault and you have full coverage, then insurance would have to pay for damages. And never buy extended car warranty, most companies wants you to bend over backwards to show in print in your policy that it covers the exact issue and not some wear and tear consumable parts over time.

6. KarlyArtTeacher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, they denied it based off of what the dealership said

Warranty was to 100,000 miles so I’m over. My issue is the codes that they’re telling me. The recall only covers certain codes even though it seems to be the same issue I’m having with all the warning lights & how it’s acting.

#6 KarlyArtTeacher, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2020
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is insurance paying to fix the rest of the damage?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're going to need another code reading to clarify the problem

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, it doesn't really work that way. It happens a lot here on PriusChat that people will tag onto a thread and say "hey, I'm having the same problem!" going just by warning lights and how it's acting. It's an understandable mistake, but they don't understand there are only a few lights on the dash to tell you to read the codes; there are a couple hundred known issues that could arise in the brakes and the codes will help sort them out, but the lights won't, because they all light the same lights.

More than that, even if you have the exact same trouble codes as somebody else, even that doesn't mean you have the same issue. Three of you could have the code for RF wheel speed sensor and one of you might have a bad sensor when one has a broken wire and the third has a failing ECU. The codes only reveal what needs to be examined; they don't pin down what the examination is going to find the problem is.

So thinking the issue is the same even when the codes are the same is still a bit of a stretch, and needless to say, thinking the issue is the same when the codes aren't is even stretchier than that.

In essence, when Toyota says "we'll do this warranty extension work for anybody who has the same codes", they're willing to eat the cost of occasionally doing the work for people who have the same codes because of some other issue. I'm sure they just figure that's less hassle than trying to explain to a customer how it's not always the same issue even with the same codes.

But they might be willing to endure the hassle of explaining how it's not the same issue when the codes are different.

Ed Beaty likes this.
  10. KarlyArtTeacher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    insurance paid for all of the body damage. just denied the brake issue...which i will probably have to fight since nothing started until after the accident.

bisco likes this.
  11. KarlyArtTeacher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So here’s an update I’m feeling good about. The dealership contracted Toyota about my problems. Toyota agreed to cover the majority, I’m thinking the cost of the parts. Out of the $2400 estimate, I’ll only have to pay a little over $700.

RMB likes this.