1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master key MIA, trunk lock valet key hack.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Brian in Tucson, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if this has been posted before, my attempts at topic searches have not been too successful.

I acquired my Gen 1 a few weeks ago, the ignition key would not open the trunk. Only the in cab release on the floor would do that. Not acceptable! A little exploration was required, but here's my results.

I think the engineers at Toyota went a little overboard with the valet security thing.

I'm not going in to how to remove the key'd portion of the lock mechanism.. But looking, there's no electronic part of the lock that would need to be repaired or hacked. It's all mechanical--there's a little micro switch, I speculate that's for a warning light or something. So take the lock out, remove the little electronic switch from the inboard end of the mechanism and take it in the house and work on it on the kitchen table.

Pull off the key cover parts, be careful, there's a spring in there that wants to go flying. Pull off the retaining ring & linkage from the inboard end of the lock. At this point, you may want to insert your valet key into the lock mechanism to keep things from flopping out as you remove the tumbler assembly. You will notice that one of the tumbler wafers is not fully flush with the rest of the tumblers with the key in. On mine it was the most inboard, at the end of the key, wafer. Back the key out a little, and remove that wafer. Now put the key back in all the way and insert it back in lock mechanism housing. With the key back in it should turn easily. I used WD40 to rinse out the mechanism and tumbler set, gets all the dried spooge, road dirt, and other crap out so everything works smoothly.

Put it all back together, getting the key cover back in is a bit tricky. But if a guy like me can get it back together anyone probably can. I have fat fingers! Yes! It now works with the valet key! And other than a couple of Saturday morning hours it cost me nothing.

BTW, you can have a non-chip key made that will work in all the locks, but not the ignition. Instead fo $60 or $70 it costs a couple of bucks. Nice to keep in your wallet in case you lock yourself out with the keys in the car (don't ask me how I know this!)

j12piprius likes this.
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your local locksmith can inexpensively make a trunk key based on a ignition key and vice versa. Basically the difference is removing/leaving in place, one notch of the key.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also, since you have a Gen 1, you can even buy chip keys on eBay (around $17 last time I bought one), have them cut at your local locksmith or hardware for a couple bucks, and program them to the car yourself so they'll start it, just using a certain sequence of key twists and door slams (affectionately known as the chicken dance). You don't even need access to Techstream, as some later model owners do.

... however, to do that, you need to start with a key that was programmed as master. If the key you have was cut as a valet key, it was probably also programmed as a sub, and won't work for that purpose. That makes things more complicated.

-Chap

4. M&M

M&M Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had intended to buy some keys off ebay and duplicate the master. Time got the best of me and the hints along the way did not sink in. My wife lost the first key and fob, and a year later lost the second key and fob. Now I have only the valet key, and the trunk is locked. I need to get into the trunk and charge the aux battery as it has gone low while the car sat. Can't drive it, as it is out of inspection and needs brake light bulbs. I thought about the dealer route, but my friend said it cost a couple of hundred. Even going to the dealer for getting a non-chip master key cut scares me.
    Question: Does the Gen1 with the one-piece back seat have a safety release in the trunk? I don't recall seeing a lever.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let me guess, somebody also did the quarter-turn-left of the trunk key cylinder, so the pull handle by the driver's seat won't open it?

Yes, there is a release inside the trunk, IIRC.

-Chap

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The trunk key is just a slightly different cut than the door key. Your local key locksmith store should know how to cut it.
    You can access the trunk via the back seat by removing the rear seat back.

7. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just went through the same issue. My local Toyota dealer sold me a metal key that would open doors and trunk based on the car's VIN number for less than $10.
    I then brought that key and the valet key I got with the car to Ace hardware and they were able to make another chip key (that starts the car) but with the bottom cut of the metal key, around $80. So now I have a chip key that also opens the trunk.
    Also was able to purchase a FOB on amazon and program using valet key.

M&M likes this.
  8. M&M

M&M Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    A tall person would never see the emergency release handle in the trunk, even with the lid open and it being 6 inches from your nose. I had to squat down and look up to see it there inside the escutcheon. Yes, the trunk was valet-locked, so I decided to take out the back seat. 9 bolts later, the panel revealed the handle there on the door at the trunk lid. I stuck a wooden shovel handle back there and tripped it. Took the cylinder out and removed its rod, left the trunk release cable hooked up. As long as the secondary rotator is in the down position, the cable will work. I will use it like this until I find/get master keys.
    Beth524, if your dealer sold you a cut plain-metal key for $10, he basically just had you pay for the ridiculously upcharged retail blank. I don't think our dealers down here would be so nice. But given your experience, I will inquire with my dealer to see if I could be so lucky.
    My wife lost both master keys and key fobs, and I neglected to buy the blank transponder keys to prevent my situation should it ever happen. I am inclined for someone to clean house, before I go to the dealer. It is not my hide and seek game, but they have been gone for years, so I might as well give up and go down there where I bought the car. Maybe they will take pity on me and my 15 year old car.

9. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer here is the farthest thing from nice, I would never go there for service, but it was super easy to get that key. You really don't need a master key, as Ace hardware or the local locksmith can copy the Valet key. The dealer tried to tell me it would cost hundreds to get a new fob. It cost $25 on Amazon, and the Valet key was fine for programming it. Good luck!

j12piprius likes this.