1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master warning, check engine, maint reqd, yellow brake warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jollyholley, Apr 28, 2015.

1. jollyholley

jollyholley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all-

I want to run my scenario by you guys before I go to dealership tomorrow.

2006 Prius with 164,000 miles.

First in the morning, starts fine, 500 feet later I'm turning out of neighborhood and I get lit up with:
    Red triangle master light
    Yellow brake warning (went away after I did signal check)
    Check engine
    Maint required light

The maintenance light is on because I'm 5,000 miles out of an oil change. I checked the stick, it did appear low, so I added a half quart of mobil 1 5w-30.

The inverter pump was changed due to recall in 2012, and I do still see turbulences in the fluid.

I have 3 pips of gasoline in the tank.

The 12V is a newly replaced yellowtop from elearnaid. Replaced about 1 year ago.

In the days before this incident, I noticed the battery would deplete quicker than normal, and that it would also charge (or at least display) quicker than normal. I've never seen it go from 1 bar to full green so fast.

The ICE cuts on normally in the driveway after a minute.

Any ideas before I go to dealership? Think I can even make it to dealership? I haven't driven since I got lit up.

Thanks in advance, I have searched many many threads and don't see my exact situation. Hope this can help others.

Scott

2. jollyholley

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to mention that on the display, it says "Problem" and then I see the orange car logo on top left of screen.

Also, the AC works fine.

3. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, most of the experts on this forum I believe would ask you for the codes, pretty well have to have them. However, it sounds like the hybrid battery is on it's way out by the way you describe the battery bar display going up and down quickly. Sounds like you might have an idea that it could be the traction battery. Louisiana is a very warm climate so getting 164k out of your battery is decent. You will also want to check your hybrid battery cooling fan to make sure it's not plugged causing your hybrid battery to overheat. Depending on how long you want to keep the car a new hybrid battery may be a good investment seeing that you only have 164k on her. Or, possibly a used battery for less than half the price. From what I hear it's a diy job that takes a half a day. But again, you need the codes and you have to discount other possible problems first. Best wishes...

4. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you hear your battery cooling fan? Is it loud and on continuously?

Edit... Toyota tech told me once that a vehicle with a bad battery is drive-able but that the computer would only allow the vehicle to drive so fast. I think he said 50 kmh.

#4 Dino33ca, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. jollyholley

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies.

I have the heard the fan once today, it is not continuously on. It's a cool day today and I'm parked in the shade of the carport.

Worst case scenario for me is traction battery. Best case scenario is the oil got low, and now it needs a reset after adding some.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it was an oil warning, the warning would go away after you added oil. No need to reset that

7. jollyholley

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your input, however, I only added about a half quart. Would that be enough to trip the reset?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the oil level is in the safe level of the dipstick reading, then there would be no warning lights

9. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you check your dipstick immediately after driving? It's difficult to read unless the engine has been off for a couple of hours. The oil level should be between the two marks on the dipstick. Adding a half quart would would not make a dramatic difference on the dipstick.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm thinking it's not oil related. To reset the car, all you have to do is disconnect the negative 12v battery terminal for about 10 seconds.

11. jollyholley

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did wait a little while but it's difficult to tell where the actual level is due to streaking.

Would you advise adding the rest of the quart? And would the lights automatically disappear with the proper amount of oil? All lights except for MAINT REQUIRE I suppose.

12. jollyholley

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know that you really need codes, but until tomorrow, I can't provide those.

What would you do?

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you checked earlier and said it was "low". Was the reading in between the 2 dots? The area between the 2 dots on the dipstick is the safe area where the oil level should be, that area represents 1.6 quarts of oil. If your earlier reading was not in between the marks, you can safely add the entire quart of oil with no worries.

There's nothing you can do if it's a failing HV battery, no amount of reseting will fix it. It may get rid of the warning light momentarily but it will return.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As previously suggested, it is certainly possible that your traction battery is dying, and you need the DTC to confirm whether this is the case.

Check all engine compartment fluids now and replenish if needed. Regarding the engine oil dipstick, you need to see a solid coat of oil on the dipstick. Compare the two sides. The side which displays a lower level of fluid is the side you should pay attention to.

How far do you need to drive to get to your local Toyota dealer?

I suggest that you drive around your neighborhood to see what driveability symptoms exist. Then you may be able to assess how likely it is that the car can be driven to the dealer.

15. jollyholley

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your input as well. I'll take it around the block.

The dealership is four to five miles away.

16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Codes should help fill in the details.
    Battery, inverter, high voltage leak, etc.

The fact that you noticed the varying battery level is not a good sign for your pack.

Post back here and we can help.
    Feel free to call me directly if you have questions.