1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

master warning light, check engine light, and brake/abs light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by acviper2, Dec 27, 2017.

1. acviper2

acviper2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had replaced my spark plugs a day before my check engine light came on, the day the check engine light came on I also got an oil change because I was due for it.
    So it started off with a check engine light reading code p0171, 3 days later my master warning light comes on as I am driving, and lose power of the car. It gave me a hard time shutting it off, and turning it back on, but was able to. upon turning the car back on I tried hitting the gas, there was a delayed response to hitting the gas, no power came from the car, but the engine revved loud for a few seconds, the spedometer read blank. I turned the car off and on again, the same lights were on, and same issues happened except now the brake light/abs light was on too. Still no power to gas, restarted it one more time, all the same lights and issues stayed.

anyone ever experience something like this?
    I'm pretty stumped and scared it's either not fixable or way beyond what I can afford to fix.
    Hoping to get it towed to a shop tomorrow

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What type of spark plugs did you put in the car? Did you add any antiseize?

I would first try and clean the throttle body and MAF sensor before you do anything else. It's strange how it happened after you changed the spark plugs though...maybe you got some debris in the throttle body

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. acviper2

acviper2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no anti seize, I used iridium spark plugs from auto zone.

it sucks because the mechanic that usually let's me use his shop to work on my car is an hour away from where it broke down, and I can only imagine how much that would cost in towing.
    But my mechanic did suggest against cleaning the throttle body because it's electric, not sure if that's a thing or not.
    I'm wondering if I cracked a spark plug somehow.
    hoping it's something very simple.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can try and disconnect the 12v battery negative for a minute. It should delete all the codes and hopefully the car will start. Then drive to the mechanic.

Raytheeagle likes this.