1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master warning light comes on when driving up hill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mark J, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello I have had my 2006 Toyota prius for about 6 years now. I bought it used and it had been in a drivers side front end car accident before I bought the car. I have had very little problems with the car until moving to Washington state. I moved here a year ago and have been driving up into the mountains. A couple months ago I was driving to Seattle on the highway going about 70 mph and the Red triangle light came on. Along with the check engine light. The car then slowed down to i think 37-38 miles per hour. I pulled over and turned the car off. Sat there for a few minutes them turned the car back on. It worked fine for the rest of the 70 miles I drove it to get home. Then it happened again while not driving up steep hills it was mostly flat highway. Two weeks ago I was driving it up the mountain highway and the same thing happened. The car had a funny smell coming from the engine area. I pulled over and turned the car off for a hour or so. When I came back and turned it back on the warning lights were still on but the car could accelerate past the 38 mph. Drove it home about 60 miles no trouble just warning lights on. I wake up the next day and the warning lights are off. I am so confused as to what may be wrong and would love some help solving this problem. Thanks for everyones advice I appreciate it :)

I have not taken it in yet for a computer scan tho...

Hello I have had my 2006 Toyota prius for about 6 years now. I bought it used and it had been in a drivers side front end car accident before I bought the car. I have had very little problems with the car until moving to Washington state. I moved here a year ago and have been driving up into the mountains. A couple months ago I was driving to Seattle on the highway going about 70 mph and the Red triangle light came on. Along with the check engine light. The car then slowed down to i think 37-38 miles per hour. I pulled over and turned the car off. Sat there for a few minutes them turned the car back on. It worked fine for the rest of the 70 miles I drove it to get home. Then it happened again while not driving up steep hills it was mostly flat highway. Two weeks ago I was driving it up the mountain highway and the same thing happened. The car had a funny smell coming from the engine area. I pulled over and turned the car off for a hour or so. When I came back and turned it back on the warning lights were still on but the car could accelerate past the 38 mph. Drove it home about 60 miles no trouble just warning lights on. I wake up the next day and the warning lights are off. I am so confused as to what may be wrong and would love some help solving this problem. Thanks for everyones advice I appreciate it :)

This may be my problem?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you need to have the trouble codes read. how many miles on her?battery could be on the way out. how many miles on her?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you check your oil level at any of these times? Was it low?

Have you checked your inverter reservoir for turbulent movement of the fluid? If there is no movement in the reservoir your inverter water pump has failed.

#3 dolj, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In addition to the above, have you ever serviced the engine cooling system? Do you know how to check coolant levels in both systems?

A ten year old hybrid battery seeing heavier duty cycles in the mountains could be a problem.

Without trouble codes, we're just guessing. You'll probably need a Toyota-specific scan tool to retrieve the appropriate codes for the hybrid system.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you ever opened the hood?

Bluegrassman likes this.
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would agree with checking the oil level first. Check it while park on a level surface.

Once you get it scanned and have a code, post it here.