1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Warning light (problem light)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marilyn Gomez, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Marilyn Gomez

Marilyn Gomez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Please help. I have a 2007 prius (130,000 miles) and for the last two days, I had the big red master warning light come up four times during driving, also "Problem" was displayed on the LCD where "Add fuel" is displayed when fuel is low. I had the codes checked at Autozone and no codes showed up on test. But no error code showed on the OBD reader. I searched found that it might be related to 12V battery which I replaced 6 months ago and I also had an oil change done a few weeks ago. Can someone please help.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you replace with Optima Yellow Top 12volt? If so that might be your problem, they resell bad batteries that get returned as if they're new...

Marilyn Gomez likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any chance oil is overfilled?
    Check the dipstick, post a pic of it here.

For under $75 you could have tools ti check and clear error codes plus much more detailed hybrid data.
    - Android phone/tablet
    - OBDII ELM 327 Bluetooth adaptor
    - Torque Pro app

Would be helpful to be able to see how the battery modules are doing when car is running. The adaptor plus torque pro app can help you with that

Then you would not be guessing what is wrouw and have some hard data.

I'm sure AutoZone can check your 12v for free as well.

The reality is you have a hybrid battery that is over a decade old. A DECADE! There is a high likelihood that is has failed. So hopefully you have a spare $2,000 - $3,000 allowed for that.

Maybe it is not your hybrid battery. But you'll need to supply a bit more data if you want to reduce guessing.

Feel free to call me any time if you want to talk through some more troubleshooting ideas.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe you have a failed inverter pump, if your ac stops getting cold when the warning comes up, then it's mostly likely the inverter pump

The problem will go away in the morning and will reappear when the car is hot again

#4 JC91006, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For inverter pump you can Google it and find videos on how the turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir should look.
    If you peek in there and the water is calm, that's a pretty good indicator of a problem. You can also feel and hear the pump if it is operating properly. Basically reach your right hand down and feel the hose. It should feel like there is coolant flowing past.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the master warning light came on, you have trouble codes, but auto zone does not have the correct scanner.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It might not show on many scanners once the car cools and triangle goes out

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  8. Marilyn Gomez

Marilyn Gomez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I took it to a San Diego Mechanic. He Said it was low on coolant and put some in for me. He also checked the codes and no codes came up. No charge at this time
    I was driving home and the same light came back up. Took it back. He said he would connect to Toyota computer program. Car fixed for $100, $65 for Toyota computer code check and coolant and bleeding air.
    Took car home, now the check engine light appears . Took it back, now it was the Coolant Control Valve, parts and labor $280.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or... if you have a bag of ice you can put it on top of the inverter and you might be able trick your car into thinking that it's always morning, at least for a little while. The water pump replacement isn't much different than a water pump replacement in a regular car. And it's way cheaper than replacing your power inverter that the pump keeps cool.

It's a relatively easy DIY job, or just a couple hours or less labor charge from an experienced mechanic.

10. AngelAcct

AngelAcct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to replace my 12V battery and had the yellow top Optima battery already in my cart until I see this...
    My questions: 1) Is there any way to be 100% Sure that you are getting a NEW battery instead of a refurbished one? 2) What other 12V batteries work for the Prius? I would really appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think optima has increased their price significantly the past couple years. I would think getting an original battery from your local Toyota dealer would be the same price.....or less. Many dealers have parts they sell online, if you can find a local dealer that has online sales, you can have them match the online price and pickup locally at their parts counter.

I think there is a standard format for dealers that sell parts online. My local dealer is parts.longotoyota.com. So your local dealer might be a similar format. The part you want is
    00544-21171-325 (with smart key) and is $183.00 online
    28800-21181 (without smart key)

#11 JC91006, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  12. AngelAcct

AngelAcct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's the ones my friends and I have been using... Under $100 with 15 more amp hours than other Prius batteries. You will need some big washers on both sides of the terminals and longer bolts to properly mount your Prius battery cables.

12 Volt (12V) 55 Amp (55Ah) VRLA AGM Sealed Lead Acid Battery 55 AMPS HIGH CAP | eBay