1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Warning Light question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaw444, Oct 2, 2011.

1. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today i tried to start my 07 Prius, all the normal start up lights came on, including the master warning light, but the master warning light didn't go off. No other abnormal lights were on. When i put the car in reverse to back out, it wouldn't engage in the gear, it wouldn't back up. When tried to turn it off, it wouldn't respond to the power button, it wouldn't go off. I kept trying and eventually it did turn off.

The other thing that wasn't normal was, with the power off, when i opened the door, from the outside to get in, or from the inside to get out, the car started making the warning beep with the red car door open light flashing. Close the door and it stopped.

I have hardly been driving the car since the end of June, i take it out about once a week to keep the battery charged, and it's been working fine.

However, about a month and a half ago, i accidentally left the overhead light on and it was on for a few days, and then the battery would not start the car. Auto Club came out and jumped it and since then, it starts OK

Today after the master warning light stayed on and the car wouldn't go into gear, then wouldn't power off at first, i went to do an errand in my other car. When i got back, i tried starting up the car again. When i opened the car door to get in, the car door red light started flashing and the warning beep started, again like before. I closed the door and those two things stopped, again, and then i powered the car on and the master warning light came on and then shut off along with all the other lights that come on and then go off when starting up normally. The car started, went into gear, backed up and then powered off as normal.

After that, i could open the doors without any beeping or flashing light.

wondering what might have caused this.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If your 12V battery is the original, and you ran it down to nothing once already, then you probably need to replace it. A low 12V battery can cause many different strange symptoms in the Prius.

1 person likes this.
  3. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i know this is a long time after your reply but just wanted to say thanks, you're right. i had it in for service today. It did this same symptom when i was starting it up to take it out of the garage to go to the toyota place, by coincidence. it had not done it again since the other time. Then, after jiggling it for a while, i was able to get the symptom to stop and i was able to drive it in. They diagnosed that the battery was failing and i had to replace it, almost $250, but i'm glad it didn't go out some time when not expected and needing a tow.

Thanks again for the info.

1 person likes this.