1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Warning Light

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jbondman871, Nov 12, 2011.

1. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2001 Prius, 182,000 miles

Master Warning Light and brake light came on.

I took it to the local dealer and they did a diagnostic, and they pulled the codes P0300, P3125, P0301, P0302, P0420, P3006, P3016, P3017. They said I would need to replace the the hybrid battery, the invertor, the catalytic converter, and the spark plugs. And gave my an estimate of about $7,800 for parts and labor.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think Taylor Automotive in Sanford, NC is your best bet. A bit of a haul, true, however, they can install a rebuilt hybrid battery, an aftermarket catalytic converter, and address malfeasance in the inverter, whether it be the inverter or its cooling pump. But unless you can do the work yourself, it is likely a minimum of $3500 to address all of these codes using aftermarket/rebuilt parts.

3. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I contacted Taylor Automotive and asked for a quote if all things listed by the dealer did need to be replaced. There quote was $5,200, so cheaper than the dealer, and they were not sure all those parts would really need to be replaced. Looking for opinions if you think all parts would need to be replaced.

4. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Presumably $5200 includes a replacement inverter. That's the wild card here. Did the dealership print a 3 digit information code for P3125? There is a TSB related to P3125 code 287, with the cure being ECU reprogramming. It is also possible that the P3125 is related to the battery problem.

Anyway, you are in a real tough spot. This is about the worst case scenario. $5200 would be a lot to spend on this car to fix it, but I am confident that Taylor would fix it. Or maybe sell it on Craigslist, the Private Sales board here, or to a junkyard. You'd get more for it that way than trailering it to a dealership for trade-in.

:(

5. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No the dealership didn't printed a 3 digit code with the P3125. And yeah that would include replacing the invertor.

6. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You could ask for that code, since you did pay them for a diagnosis. They should have it somewhere. But I think you need to address the HV battery first. Obviously the cat doesn't really matter unless you are subject to emission testing, and spark plugs are straight forward. Taylor Automotive is also ReInvolt, the seller of batteries constructed from Gen II salvage packs. They also sell presumed-good Gen I modules on ebay, if you want to try the cheapest possible DIY repair.

7. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

You can buy a used 2002 Prius from the NYC auction for less than $5,200.
    The only thing is that you don't know what the condition of the car is, but they start every car before the auction takes place.

NYC DCAS Auto Auction

You can click on: "List of Vehicles"

8. M&M

M&M Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I find it funny that the code = part replacement. P0301 and P0302 are just spark misfires on cyl #1 and #2. Yeah, you could need new plugs, but that would really mean a check of the IGN coils that are on top of those plugs. I wonder why they just didn't fault them, 'cause they cost more to replace than plugs. So you have a misfire, does that mean the plug needs replacing?

P0420 is the catalyst effeciency Bank 1 (the upstream O2 sensor). I recently had this one pop up, and they are telling you the catalyst needs replacing? Maybe the sensor is going out. That is what I am checking now, looking here in this forum for info on the voltages.
    Conceivably, the cat might be bad. mine has 163,000 on it, but I would check the two O2 sensors before I shell out $ for a Cat.

I'd get a second opinion (pay for a diagnostic of the battery, and visual inspection) and if that's the case, would probably Re-Involt it.

-M&M

9. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When was the 12V battery last replaced? If it is not healthy you can have all kinds of erratic errors. You may need a rebuilt HV battery, but the other stuff should be re-diagnosed, preferably by an independent shop that knows Gen1's....and get all the INF/subcodes when they scan for errors.

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I definitely concur with 3prongpaul. It seems prudent to avoid jumping on the first opinion when the price tag is >$5000!!! I would disconnect the 12V battery, wait five minutes, hook up a known good 12V battery (with jumper cables), turn it back on and see what happens. If that doesn't fix anything, I would suggest getting a "professional" second opine!!

11. beefive

beefive New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will the battery off of an '09 fit an '01? Or will it need to be modified (ie '09 battery packs into '01 battery)?

12. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The complete battery from Gen2 (04-09) is different from Gen1 (01-03).

Gen2 has 28 slices (smaller prismatic batteries) inside. Gen1 has 38 slices. The slices are slightly different sizes, but YOU CAN install Gen2 slices into a Gen1 battery with a little persuasion.

You'll need 1.36 Gen2 batteries as donors to obtain 38 slices for Gen1 pack. If upgrading to Gen2 slices, change all of them so the voltage/resistances of the slices are similar...otherwise the car will code. It's a tedious and time consuming process dismantling the batteries...so I suggest you get tested/known good slices....you don't want to swap them more than once. Alternatively you can buy a rebuilt and tested/guaranteed battery from one of the online sellers and just swap the whole unit.

2 people like this.
  13. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    B5, there is a guy in Healdsburg that does battery work, very high quality, as Luscious Garage uses him.

eBay My World - tedb8

14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe he's talking about the 12V battery.

15. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then no, you should not use Gen2-3 12V battery in Gen1. The positions of the Positive and Negative posts are reversed since Gen1 battery is on drivers side and Gen2-3 are on passenger side.

In each car positive terminals are placed to be away from the outer walls of the car, so if the car is hit less chance of positive terminal shorting against the metal fender or rear opening.

1 person likes this.
  16. SANJANA9411

SANJANA9411 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hi! Here is the break down for the actual cost of items around the codes. I just restored most of the codes mentioned here and my Prius is back on the road and now a good car for my teenage daughter
    P0300- engine misfire not parts required
    P0301- spark plugs ( set of 4= $20/-) and may be ignition coil ( each 99.99 from toyata parts dealer and the same price at Auto Zone) the same with P0302.
    P0420- not sure about this as I did not have this as a code pop up on my prius
    P03006 is usually the 12 volt battery located in the rear trunck of the car. Priced at $190 ( toyota parts center)
    P03016, 3017 are hybrid battery cell faults- I would recomend replacing this with DORMAN hybrid battery. price at 1300- 1500 dollars and available through NAPA and Autozone or Carquest upon special order with a Core priced at 975/- They refund it when you return the battery. The Hybris battery is easy to install just need two prople to lift and place then in the back seat of the car.
    Thats.it. I got a local mechanic who helps fix my old car for a total labor on the three things like - tune up, ( plugs and ignition coils for two cylinder, rear brake pads installation and battery installation. I helped with the lifting of the battery at a labor cost of $340/-
    I just thought this is helpful.
    JG